Ever been to a wedding where...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever been to a wedding where...

As soon as the Imam announces that he'll read a dua, all the dolled up auntyjees (that arrived uncovered in the first place) and their daughters pull up their see through dupattas halfway over their heads. As soon as the dua is over they pull the dupattas back down again, like the coast is clear now, even though the room is half filled with men
    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Re: Ever been to a wedding where...

Well to people who don't usually cover, it's not about covering, it's just about showing respect, and from their point of view by covering their heads during the prayer they are showing respect to the religion.

It's much like how sikh women cover their heads when they enter their temples and hindu's do the same I think too.
    [CENTER][CENTER][B][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/B][FONT=Verdana][B]My Lord, my trust in all Your purposes is strong, That trust is now my shield; I'm safe, and undeceived.[COLOR=sienna]- Ali bin Husayn al-Habshi[/COLOR][/B]

[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]
    [CENTER][CENTER][B][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Real forsaking is forgetting the thing forsaken.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=sienna][FONT=Verdana]- Shaykh al-Shadhili

[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Live as long as you wish, you shall die. Love whatever you wish, you shall be separated from it. Do whatever you wish, you shall be rewarded for it. [/FONT][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=sienna][FONT=Verdana]- Jibreel (as)
    [/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

[CENTER] [B][I][SIZE=4] ياَ أَبَا اَلزَّهْرَاء وَلَّذِي صَانَكْ- لاَتُخَيِّبْنَا يَا سِيْدِي نَحْنُ ضِيْفَانَكْ[/SIZE]<o></o>[/I][/B]
    [B]O father of Zahra, for the sake of the One who protected you,
    Please do not leave us disappointed, O master, we are your guests. [COLOR=Sienna]- Shaykh Ahmad al-Alawi (rh)

[/COLOR][/B][I][B][SIZE=4]أَنتَ رَبّي وَ عِلْمُكَ حَسْبِيْ. فَنِعْمَ الرَّبُّ رَبِّي وَ نِعْمَ الحَسْبُ حَسْبِيْ.[COLOR=Sienna]ـ حِزْبُ البَحْر[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/I]
    [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
      As soon as the Imam announces that he'll read a dua, all the dolled up auntyjees (that arrived uncovered in the first place) and their daughters pull up their see through dupattas halfway over their heads. As soon as the dua is over they pull the dupattas back down again, like the coast is clear now, even though the room is half filled with men
      yeah man
      my bros weddin was in that style
      and it so funny
      but its good that ppl have respect
      blahhh
      “The great Imam ash-Shafi’, he went to his teacher Waki`
      Complaining about the weakness of his memory.
      He told him, ‘abandon rebellion, for knowledge is a light
      And the light of Allah is not bestowed upon a rebel.”

Comment

haha....i sooo know what u mean....I was at a cousin's wedding just this sunday just gone...the imam arrived 2hrs late to do the nikah...and as soon as he walked in the hall...every women in sight lifted their dupattas around their head before u could blink! )
        Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

Yeh I have and I find it a tad annoying..

Who says you have to wear something on your head when Qur'aan is recited anyway?

Its just ignorance and something for the individual to feel a little bit better about themselves.

We know that to respect the Qur'aan is to follow its teachings.

May Allah (SWT) guide them and all of us.
          - Inna Ma'iya Rabbi Sayah Deen -

Comment

Originally posted by 1982omar View Post
            haha....i sooo know what u mean....I was at a cousin's wedding just this sunday just gone...the imam arrived 2hrs late to do the nikah...and as soon as he walked in the hall...every women in sight lifted their dupattas around their head before u could blink! )
            corrr yeah man

Comment

ohhh the yoyo hijab....

The yo-yo hijabs. The first yo-yo hijab, also known as the Benazir Bhutto hijab, is the scarf that keeps falling down and needs to be constantly pulled back up....up, down, up, down, just like a yo-yo. The second yo-yo hijab is also referred to as the convertible hijab. This type of hijab is predominant at any type of social event, i.e. an Aqeeqah, Bismillah party, Ameen party, wedding, etc.

This is when an Imam or Qari comes up to the microphone and starts to recite Qur'an. At this point, all the convertible hijabs come up...until he says "Sadaqallahul atheem". I'm not sure, but apparently in some cultures that translates to "ok sisters, you may now take off your scarves". I'm sure this may seem odd, but what's even funnier is when people do not anticipate the recitation of Qur'an at a social event, and are forced to be creative and use accessories such as a purse to cover one's hair. I was surprised to see a women hold her purse over her head as "hijab"..as if the multitudes of men surrounding her are not a good enough reason to wear hijab, but some guy reciting du'a compels her to hold a purse over her head. Her friends were more creative...one friend used her dinner napkin. I was also laughing when I saw the communal hijab --> two or
              more girls draped under one dinner napkin during the recitation of Qur'an. Her other friend was still more creative. She used her coffee saucer on the back of her head. I wasn't sure if it was hijab or a Yamaka. I didn't know if she was a Muslim or a Jew. I felt like going up to her and saying "Shalom alaikum, sister". And, people should remember that hijab is not just a protection from guys, but from a girl's nafs (ego) as well. It should prevent girls from having to spend hours in front of the mirror doing her hair. But, unfortunately, you see girls in front of the mirror for hours doing their hijab as they would do their hair, with all sorts of elaborate braids and the like. I wanted to go up to a sister and say "Is your hijab naturally curly?". I also felt compelled to go up to another girl and say "pardon me, but is your hijab naturally that color, or did you dye it?".

Well, the point to remember is that some people make an effort to wear hijab, but it is futile, because it is not fulfilling it's purpose. It's like using an umbrella with holes in it. Hijab is used for protection from guys as well as from the girl herself, and should not be used as an accessory or for beautifying one's self. Anyway, that's it. If anyone disagrees with me or is offended, then you are disagreeing with the teachings of Allah
              subhanahu wa Ta'ala.
              It's not about land, it's about justice. " Be a friend to the oppressed, and an enemy of the oppressor"

VICTORY !!!

Comment

well i went to my uncle wedding (this was back home) all the gals in my family were the jilbab and the scarf. i thought they would cover on the wedding day but they didnt wen it came to the wedding day they took off everything. then wen the wedding was over they covered up again. and another thing men are very protected with gals e.g daughter, nieces. but when it came to the wedding day my uncle pushed me to the men side so i ate with my uncle, i was so embrassed. and also they let the men see the bride with her make up and her dress (which had short arms) then after the wedding my uncle told her to cover up ( but it was ok to show her beauty on the wedding day) some ppl man i would expect more from a muslim country.

its really sad when you see muslim like this you feel like doing somthing, but in our culture the young arent meant to teach the elders. it brings tears to my eyes our beloved prophet did so much for us and yet we dnt care.

may allah guide us ameen
                Last edited by LiveIslam; 10-08-06, 10:22 PM.
                'Whenever I remember that day.......I think Allah will never forgive me---- and I faint' :lailah:
                Sa'eed Ibn Amir (ra)

Comment

Whats the point of starting this thread

To laugh and mock at the ignorance present in our community

Ameen to sis Yusra's du'aa...at least something constructive was said there :)

Comment

i'm not sure,

if it's because of respect then why do it when the imam comes in? and how is that showing respect to someone?

if it's to show respect to Allah then why not do it all the time?

tbh i think it's more a cultural thing, similarly how so many people cover their heads for prayers claiming its sunnah!, as far as i know the Prophet (s.a.w) didn't cover his head in salah, rather it was covered all the time!

and anyway shouldn't these things be segregated?
                    i will bear any ordeal, but i will not beg

Watch the game, Learn the game, Control the game.

Comment

Originally posted by ibn suleman View Post
                      i'm not sure,

if it's because of respect then why do it when the imam comes in? and how is that showing respect to someone?

if it's to show respect to Allah then why not do it all the time?

tbh i think it's more a cultural thing, similarly how so many people cover their heads for prayers claiming its sunnah!, as far as i know the Prophet (s.a.w) didn't cover his head in salah, rather it was covered all the time!

and anyway shouldn't these things be segregated?

truesay man
                      they shud be segregated
                      nikah shud be performed in a gathering where there is blessings n good present eg where there is a ijtima? r summat

Comment

Yeah I remember this, I saw one lady put a plate on her head once, and I started giggling, this was when I was young so you cant shout at me, and well, everyone started looking at me, and I just couldnt stop laughing...and suddenly my dad gives me this death stare which screams..

GET OUT OF THE HALL BEFORE I SLAP YOU SILLY...

And so I did what any kid does...I ran for my life... :D

Comment

:rofl1:

a PLATEEE??????

daymnnn izzat!

Comment

Originally posted by TEH View Post
                            Yeah I remember this, I saw one lady put a plate on her head once, and I started giggling, this was when I was young so you cant shout at me, and well, everyone started looking at me, and I just couldnt stop laughing...and suddenly my dad gives me this death stare which screams..

GET OUT OF THE HALL BEFORE I SLAP YOU SILLY...

And so I did what any kid does...I ran for my life...
                            :D
                            :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
                            It's not about land, it's about justice. " Be a friend to the oppressed, and an enemy of the oppressor"

VICTORY !!!

Comment

Isn't half a scarf covering someones head better than no scarf covering the head?

I sense a bit of "i am more religious than you are" going on here.

Comment

Working...
                              X