Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I am a niqabi but husband is asking to cover eyes too

For some of the brothers here.

The best Niqab/Hijab/ dress code is the one that a woman follows of her own volition. Making her do anything more or less, is a fitna in itself. So often I see women take their Niqab off in markets or parks. It gives a much worse impression about them than someone who would not have been in Niqab altogether.
    For so many women I even wonder what the point of Niqab is anyway. I was educated in Pakistan, there were not many Niqabis when I studied, but when I visit my institution now, there are many more, yet, many of them have pictures of them in Halloween costumes, with the Niqab on, who attend out of hours dinners. I wonder, if a Niqabi sister can sit with me and rest of male colleagues at lunch in cafeteria, what is the point of hiding her face?

You can always tell her what you would like, but, let a woman chose her own dress code and you will know where is she draws her boundaries.

And covering is not the only reflection of ones character, I learned this over time. Flirt with a Niqabi sister and more often than not she will fall much the same way as a non-Niqabi one.

Comment

Originally posted by Rumaysah~ View Post
      What is this position of the salaf?
      Assalamu alaykum

I admit , I am not an expert on the specifics of niqaab.

1) Niqaab is considered obligatory by many ulama ( Probably the majority )

2) The specifics of the Niqaab may differ depending on the deduction of the faqih.

a) There is a hadith from Ibn Abbas and Ibn Sireen , which specifically mention leaving only one eye visible - out of necessity.

b) I believe scholars like Ibn Taymiyyah (rah) adopted this position ( though I am not absolutely certain on that ).

I am not implying that those ahadith of the Salaf are the "be all , say all" of this issue - but it is possible that someone would adopt such a position.

You can read the blog of this sister , who follows that position.

http://niqabimaryam.blogspot.ca/2009...-eyes.html?m=1

Jazak Allah khair

( re-reading this , I believe my saying of "position of the Salaf" comes off like I have early scholarly testimony. I don't , excuse that mistake. )

Wa Allahu alam.

Comment

Is the whole point of wearing niqab or burka, to deflect male attention or to follow Allah’s commandments? Because as far as I know, isn’t it mainly for Islamic obligation for the sake of Allah and not to stop men from looking at you, is it not?

Last edited by nudgetheputri; 10-11-17, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkdeutscher View Post
          Not happy=Angry.

Dat logic.
          Not happy = sad

Opposite of happy is sad.

Dat logic.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintchocchip View Post
            Not happy = sad

Opposite of happy is sad.

Dat logic.
            not happy doesn't mean sad , it could be undecided.

Comment

Originally posted by nudgetheputri View Post
              Is the whole point of wearing niqab or burka, to deflect male attention or to follow Allah’s commandments? Because as far as I know, isn’t it mainly for Islamic obligation for the sake of Allah and not to stop men from looking at you, is it not?

They both go together
              Umar ra saw prophet :saw: wife
              He didnt want to see her he told the prophet
              And ayat was revealed to cover

Comment

Originally posted by Snippets View Post
                For some of the brothers here.

The best Niqab/Hijab/ dress code is the one that a woman follows of her own volition. Making her do anything more or less, is a fitna in itself. So often I see women take their Niqab off in markets or parks. It gives a much worse impression about them than someone who would not have been in Niqab altogether.
                For so many women I even wonder what the point of Niqab is anyway. I was educated in Pakistan, there were not many Niqabis when I studied, but when I visit my institution now, there are many more, yet, many of them have pictures of them in Halloween costumes, with the Niqab on, who attend out of hours dinners. I wonder, if a Niqabi sister can sit with me and rest of male colleagues at lunch in cafeteria, what is the point of hiding her face?

You can always tell her what you would like, but, let a woman chose her own dress code and you will know where is she draws her boundaries.

And covering is not the only reflection of ones character, I learned this over time. Flirt with a Niqabi sister and more often than not she will fall much the same way as a non-Niqabi one.
                Yh maybe for sisters that dont fear Allah and wear it coz they are obliged to by family or school or surroundings

But sisters who wear it for the sake of Allah would not be flirting and free mixing
                Its just the same as a girl wearing khimar
                Or a brother with a beard n thobe

If its for the sake of Allah they will act very different to people who are pressured into wearing it

Comment

I was about to say so much stuff and then I hesitated when I realised that it's time I stopped pretending that the brothers on here are interested in implementing Islam. If anyone were the slightest bit concerned about that, then more attention would be placed on why the husband hasn't fulfilled his duty in providing her separate accommodation (such as by separating the house into flats) from the non mahrams so that she can at least move around her own house without risking the sin of khulwa with his non mahram relatives and she wouldn't have to cover except on the occasions when they have non mahram guests from time to time. She is under no obligation to cover her face in her own home let alone her eyes and this is clarified by the hadith in which the prophet (saw) told Asma (ra) that when a woman comes of age then she should cover everything except her face and hands- but it's not like hadiths mean anything so let's ignore that too. Bottom line is her husband has the responsibility for her private accommodation and she has a responsibility to cover everything except the face and hands, though she has willingly chosen to cover the face as well as according to her and her husband's interpretation of the evidences, they deem that to be appropriate.

If that's not enough for him then let's drop the pretence that this has anything to do with wanting to implement Islam. Even the Islamic evidences tell us do not go to extremes in your religion. If there's reward in fasting, then fast some days and not others and the person who goes to extremes in fasting all the time has ignored the Sunnah. The ayah of Quran tells women to cover themselves with a cloak when they are out of their homes and some scholars say this is done with a headscarf and jilbab which only reveal the face and hands, whereas some say it is referring to niqab so only the eyes are visible in order that women can see where they are going and in the most extreme interpretations by a few will claim that this means to only show the eyes or one eye in order to see where she's going but this husband wants to go to an even further extreme than that just like the man who said he would fast everyday and we all know what the Prophet (saw) said about him- not that hadith evidence holds any importance for you so I don't know why I even bother quoting it anymore. Go with your whims and desires- it's what you're doing anyway.

The husband just needs a blindfold so that he can't pay attention to who is looking at her and she can live in peace. Btw I wonder what would happen if she wore brown contact lenses?

Originally posted by nudgetheputri View Post

If you listen to some people on here, there's no such thing as doing any action for Allah (swt)- obeying the husband is the greater priority and anyone who says otherwise is shouted down as a "westernised feminist". Even the ahadith are feminist now. No wonder the Ummah is such a disaster zone.
                  The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by Linkdeutscher View Post
                    This hadeeth is often quoted as proof of niqab not being obligatory; it is never used as proof that niqab is baseless.

Why do you misinterpret things?
                    You have misinterpreted the sister's post. She never said that the niqab is baseless, and that was not how she used that hadith.

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
                      I was about to say so much stuff and then I hesitated when I realised that it's time I stopped pretending that the brothers on here are interested in implementing Islam. If anyone were the slightest bit concerned about that, then more attention would be placed on why the husband hasn't fulfilled his duty in providing her separate accommodation (such as by separating the house into flats) from the non mahrams so that she can at least move around her own house without risking the sin of khulwa with his non mahram relatives and she wouldn't have to cover except on the occasions when they have non mahram guests from time to time. She is under no obligation to cover her face in her own home let alone her eyes and this is clarified by the hadith in which the prophet (saw) told Asma (ra) that when a woman comes of age then she should cover everything except her face and hands- but it's not like hadiths mean anything so let's ignore that too. Bottom line is her husband has the responsibility for her private accommodation and she has a responsibility to cover everything except the face and hands, though she has willingly chosen to cover the face as well as according to her and her husband's interpretation of the evidences, they deem that to be appropriate.

If that's not enough for him then let's drop the pretence that this has anything to do with wanting to implement Islam. Even the Islamic evidences tell us do not go to extremes in your religion. If there's reward in fasting, then fast some days and not others and the person who goes to extremes in fasting all the time has ignored the Sunnah. The ayah of Quran tells women to cover themselves with a cloak when they are out of their homes and some scholars say this is done with a headscarf and jilbab which only reveal the face and hands, whereas some say it is referring to niqab so only the eyes are visible in order that women can see where they are going and in the most extreme interpretations by a few will claim that this means to only show the eyes or one eye in order to see where she's going but this husband wants to go to an even further extreme than that just like the man who said he would fast everyday and we all know what the Prophet (saw) said about him- not that hadith evidence holds any importance for you so I don't know why I even bother quoting it anymore. Go with your whims and desires- it's what you're doing anyway.

The husband just needs a blindfold so that he can't pay attention to who is looking at her and she can live in peace. Btw I wonder what would happen if she wore brown contact lenses?

If you listen to some people on here, there's no such thing as doing any action for Allah (swt)- obeying the husband is the greater priority and anyone who says otherwise is shouted down as a "westernised feminist". Even the ahadith are feminist now. No wonder the Ummah is such a disaster zone.
                      maybe he can't afford separate accomodation.

Comment

covering one eye can screw up your depth perception in the long run. not a good idea to do that.

covering both is your own prerogative.
                        ⚔ Even in death may you be triumphant ⚔
                        U.F Sadaqah Jariyah Project

Comment

Originally posted by Abu julaybeeb View Post
                          Yh maybe for sisters that dont fear Allah and wear it coz they are obliged to by family or school or surroundings

But sisters who wear it for the sake of Allah would not be flirting and free mixing
                          Its just the same as a girl wearing khimar
                          Or a brother with a beard n thobe

If its for the sake of Allah they will act very different to people who are pressured into wearing it
                          Hence the point, let her decide what she wants to wear.

Comment

SubhanAllah I wasn't going to post but then I read the brother claiming he would divorce his wife for not obeying claiming to follow the salafi view doesn't even fully understand the ruling of niqab...can you not see that points to a man using is authority for his own personal gain/insecurities.

Sisters need to know the rulings we will choose to follow as we are the ones who need to stand before the creator and give are reasons for why we decided on the dress we did. As correctly pointed out many sisters dress in the most conservative way through pressure from men- I have seen the results.

Go to a mixed sex wedding hall (not some I agree with) in india and you will see the wife's who wear abaya or niqab stripping down to reveal saris that are short sleeved and show the stomach and uncovering there head/wearing so much makeup jewels and fragrances. (the men seemly no longer bother on ruling). They all did not understand why I refused to do the same. One Aunty even physically dragged me round the hall to give salam to all of the men. In all that the men always wore jeans and Tees/shirts ( that shows the shape of there "figures") -and not the conservative Sunnah throbe/imamah or even salwar kameez that would have been better.

If you are forced into it then you aren't doing so because you believe it to be correct simply to "obey" or make your husband feel good/in power.
                            As the brother who thinks niqab is fard (I cant disagree as there is difference of opinion-I was going with that stance as I point eyes are halal-ie the rest of the face is fard) pointed out you cannot force someone to accept your school of thought you can simply give your reasons.

I wear glasses and my lense was too weak of my right eye- the pain its caused me is unbelievable, as it causes your eyes to strain. Maybe its the case that as you are brothers you do not understand the difficulty it is to fulfil that which you are demanding of your wife- now imagine being forced into that difficulty and low vision 24/7- remember the ops situation is she wears even at home.

those agreeing with the husband have not he should give his wife her own place before demanding more of her and in fact some have made (potentially false) financial excuses for the brother- rereads "expensive niqab" (I couldn't have afforded anything expensive and yet we "just" afforded our own rent and did without unneeded things/limited food/nothing in the home-not even a bed-but Alhamdulillah I was able to stay peacefully without being in hijab 27/7 etc.)
                            Yet they aren't thinking of a sisters potential ill health the request will bring her.

Maybe the love of material stuff is too much for some over the rights of there wife.

I cant believe the gender hypocrisy at play here. astaghfirullah
                            Last edited by Um_Saf; 11-11-17, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Samsandman View Post
                              alaikum wasalam

You husband should be more concerned with fulfilling your rights to accomodation before making demands on you as he is clearly not doing that now.
                              He should focus on not oppressing you by forcing you to wear hijab 24/7.

He sounds weak,controlling and insecure.
                              You might wanna keep things like this to yourself the weakness in in you not her husband

Comment

Some of these replies are ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                                X