Clear All

Re: I am a niqabi but husband is asking to cover eyes too

Originally posted by Kya View Post
    try sunglass
    haha thank you for making me laugh sister even when I am worried!! :D

Comment

Originally posted by OneNiqabiMuslimah View Post
      I really have not tried it yet. I will try eye veil for a few days and if it doesn't seem to work I'll try talking about that. Thank you for this advice brother. I just wish there was some sister here who uses the eye veil so I could ask how long would it take to give it a proper chance, whether just a couple of days will do or will I need to try for a few weeks and then decide?
      :wswrwb:
      Dear ukhti, I understand your problem, as I wear niqab myself. I think, the one, problem what I found is quality of fabric. Some are, just so bad, they don't even let you breath or see properly. When, you find one, it isn't problem at all, just few days and you are custom to it, In sha'Allah. Try to get good quality one, 3 layer niqab, I got mine from Saudis, Alhamdulillah.

Comment

Originally posted by Umm Fatimah View Post
        In honesty I don't like niqab with eyes showing as it really does enhance the beauty of the eyes (especially as I see many sisters wearing eye liner/make up!) however there are ways to wear it that minimise how much eye is showing, without comprimizing how much you can see, if that makes sense? I can't really explain it well, i will try to look for a picture, is that allowed?
        I have violet blue eyes and people stare because it isn't common where we stay :( which I thought was a boon earlier is now a bane honestly. And I don't use makeup

Comment

Thank you everyone for being there for me and letting me a chance to talk to someone. It meant a lot.
          و عليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته

Comment

Originally posted by uccello verde View Post
            :wswrwb:
            Dear ukhti, I understand your problem, as I wear niqab myself. I think, the one, problem what I found is quality of fabric. Some are, just so bad, they don't even let you breath or see properly. When, you find one, it isn't problem at all, just few days and you are custom to it, In sha'Allah. Try to get good quality one, 3 layer niqab, I got mine from Saudis, Alhamdulillah.
            Shukran Allah walhamdu lillah finally a sister who wears it! And is it ok if I ask some questions? At what age did you start wearing niqab? How long did it take to get used to it? I think what my husband bought for me was called '4 layer butterfly Saudi face veil' on the package. So hopefully I have a good one and I can push back the top layer when I try it.
            Allah give me strength to try this!

Comment

Yes it very much is a false perception, but a lot of fitnah is. It doesn't beautify her eyes per se, but draws attention more to them. I remember a fairly aged man telling me (he was asking me about hijab) that he had been on holiday in Tunisia and everyday a woman dressed head to toe in black would come to their hotel. He was initially shocked by this as he hadn't seen this before in the West, but found himself waiting for her as her shoes became very attractive to him. They were not black and really stood out, attracting attention. I always tell sisters who wear niqab (especially if they are all in black or one particular colour) that they need to take particular care that their shoes/handbag/rings if they wear them do not attract attention.
              Yep. I encountered this exact experience, where a non-Muslim guy approached me because he thought I “looked nice” because my “shoes and purse were all matching.” I found this very strange, as having not been Muslim or covered in the past, that is the last thing most men will notice. Having said that, there is only so much you can do. The shoes and bag were nothing special, plain color and flats with covered feet.

Comment

I don't like this at all. The Prophet (saw) ordered women in a hadith that in front of unrelated men, the women are obliged to cover and not show more than the face and hands. Aside from that there is difference of opinion on the ayah regarding covering as some schools of thought say it only obliges the head covering and jilbab whereas others say it obliges the covering of the face as well but leaving one or both eyes still showing. There is no ayah or hadith or any Islamic evidence which suggests Muslim women should cover their eyes. If in spite of that you still want to choose to do that for your husband then that's up to you- my personal opinion is that he's wrong to insist on this and if other men are giving you unwanted attention that is their sin not yours and you shouldn't be penalised for it. As others have said if your shoes or height or other aspects become a fitnah for men, then what? you stop leaving your house altogether? That is not Islam. If men are giving you the wrong sort of attention he should confront them, not you.

Anyway as you seem quite willing to try this then the niqabi sisters can inshaAllah offer suggestions on how to do this whether that means getting a layered niqab using a good fabric, wearing a burqa or wearing sunglasses or whatever else, but if those don't work for you, then you should really draw a line and he should show some concern for your health, not literally give you a headache over this.

Thank you everyone for being there for me and letting me a chance to talk to someone. It meant a lot.
                و عليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته
                The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Yes it very much is a false perception, but a lot of fitnah is. It doesn't beautify her eyes per se, but draws attention more to them. I remember a fairly aged man telling me (he was asking me about hijab) that he had been on holiday in Tunisia and everyday a woman dressed head to toe in black would come to their hotel. He was initially shocked by this as he hadn't seen this before in the West, but found himself waiting for her as her shoes became very attractive to him. They were not black and really stood out, attracting attention. I always tell sisters who wear niqab (especially if they are all in black or one particular colour) that they need to take particular care that their shoes/handbag/rings if they wear them do not attract attention.
                  Agreed - I find it rather paradoxical when a niqabi is carrying a eye catching handbag or shoes - it deceives the very primary reason of niqab

Comment

Assalam Alykum brothers and sisters
                    I am 22 and been married for over one year and started wearing niqab without eye veil from then as it was an arranged marriage and I was happy to comply when asked if I’ll wear more modest clothes post marriage. I used to wear colorful clothes that were lose fitting and hijab only. (I was brought up in a western country and moved to Middle East post marriage)
                    And as promised before the marriage I now wear only lose black abaya, jilbab and a niqab even at home as we live with extended family members.
                    And since few months he isn’t happy with the way my niqab is showing my eyes and told me he doesn’t like how other men stare at my eyes :(
                    Alhmadulillah, he sees me in the most beautiful way and told me he wants to keep my beauty just for him.
                    And he did explain to me very nicely that it’s said,
                    “O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks(veils) all over their bodies(i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is the Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (Quran 33:59)”

I tried covering one eye only for a day and it gave me a headache so I stopped doing it. And my husband isn’t happy with me and I feel guilty because I did promise before marriage I’d do it but I’m worried about covering eyes with an eye veil and going about my day. He even bought me a beautiful four layered expensive niqab couple of days back which is making me feel even more guilty because he is really caring and is a great husband.
                    Am I doing wrong by not listening to him because I know my body should only be visible to my husband. Should I try wearing eye veil?
                    Confused about something here -

A. Your husband knew what your eyes looked like at the very least before marriage
                    B. He knew the accommodation he was going to provide

C. Why on earth didn't he specify the eye veil then ?

Comment

Shukran Allah walhamdu lillah finally a sister who wears it! And is it ok if I ask some questions? At what age did you start wearing niqab? How long did it take to get used to it? I think what my husband bought for me was called '4 layer butterfly Saudi face veil' on the package. So hopefully I have a good one and I can push back the top layer when I try it.
                      Allah give me strength to try this!
                      Wa iyyaki dear ukhti
                      I have been wearing niqab now almost 6 years, Alhamdulillah. My very 1st niqab was, this non-breathable, Subhana'Allah, which family member bought it from Qatar. I remember the very 1st day, I went out with it, I thought, I'm dying, where is all the air,lol. All those years, I was longing for that moment, and this is happening. I was making dua and in tears. It was so upsetting. Getting headaches and dizzy.
                      Alhamdulillah, I went to my local Islamic clothes shop, brother had some good Saudi niqabs. There isn't comparison with quality, Subhana'Allah. When I changed my niqab, Subhana'Allah everything was so much easier. After, that I haven't had any problems with niqab, Alhamdulillah.
                      Terms to get use to wearing it, it was matter of days, Alhamdulillah.( I was making Istikhara, before staring to wear it.)
                      Ideally, you should have few spare ones, (laundry and etc. reason)

May Allah SWT make it easy for you and give you sabr, Ameen.

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
                        I don't like this at all. The Prophet (saw) ordered women in a hadith that in front of unrelated men, the women are obliged to cover and not show more than the face and hands. Aside from that there is difference of opinion on the ayah regarding covering as some schools of thought say it only obliges the head covering and jilbab whereas others say it obliges the covering of the face as well but leaving one or both eyes still showing. There is no ayah or hadith or any Islamic evidence which suggests Muslim women should cover their eyes. If in spite of that you still want to choose to do that for your husband then that's up to you- my personal opinion is that he's wrong to insist on this and if other men are giving you unwanted attention that is their sin not yours and you shouldn't be penalised for it. As others have said if your shoes or height or other aspects become a fitnah for men, then what? you stop leaving your house altogether? That is not Islam. If men are giving you the wrong sort of attention he should confront them, not you.

Anyway as you seem quite willing to try this then the niqabi sisters can inshaAllah offer suggestions on how to do this whether that means getting a layered niqab using a good fabric, wearing a burqa or wearing sunglasses or whatever else, but if those don't work for you, then you should really draw a line and he should show some concern for your health, not literally give you a headache over this.
                        There is an ayat that says to cover one eye
                        There is also quotes by scholars saying in history the muslim women would cover eyes

Comment

Originally posted by Red Apples View Post
                          Confused about something here -

A. Your husband knew what your eyes looked like at the very least before marriage
                          B. He knew the accommodation he was going to provide

C. Why on earth didn't he specify the eye veil then ?
                          Maybe he didnt know people would stare at her so much

Comment

Originally posted by Abu julaybeeb View Post
                            Maybe he didnt know people would stare at her so much
                            With that colour eyes in a land where people hardly have that colour - Errrrrrrrrrrrr Yeah right - I can see your point

Comment

Originally posted by Red Apples View Post
                              With that colour eyes in a land where people hardly have that colour - Errrrrrrrrrrrr Yeah right - I can see your point
                              Some people dont think like that

Aithough i dont know why people care about eye color so fascinated just wear contacts

Comment

Originally posted by Abu julaybeeb View Post
                                Some people dont think like that
                                That's what my Nanima says all the time !!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X