Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'investing' in your wife, an example from the life of sheikh ibn uthaymeen

From an interview with the wife of ibn uthaymeen

Is there anything that the Shaykh asked you to do that seemed strange and made you feel hesitant?

Answer: It may be unknown to most that I was illiterate and did not receive any kind of formal education. When I married the Shaykh, I was fully busy in his service and in providing him the correct, comfortable environment to seek knowledge and teach. After we had our children, I was busy with them, and it took all my time to raise them, in addition to the time I used to spend to help and support the Shaykh in seeking knowledge. After the children grew up and my responsibilities began to ease slightly, I was surprised that the Shaykh began to incite me to join the senior school i.e. for the elderly. Although hesitant at first, I decided to join. During this period, he followed my achievements and would not accept any of my sons signing my transcripts of record. He would say,

“I am the one to sign for all that relates to your academic achievements.”
    This moment of learning is a period that cannot be forgotten by me due to its great, innumerable benefits.

“Al-Mutamayyizah” Magazine Issue No. 45, Ramadhan, 1427. Confirmed & Presented in English by Dr. Saleh As-Saleh.
    شَكَوْتُ إلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي
    فَأرْشَدَنِي إلَى تَرْكِ المعَاصي
    وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ
    ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

Re: 'investing' in your wife, an example from the life of sheikh ibn uthaymeen

:up:
    وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

After raising the children!

Comment

Did I read that correctly or Am getting slow with age but Shaykh's wife couldn't read until she was senior citizen?

Is this correct?

Comment

Hmmm. May Allah reward her for her patience and sacrifice for her family, but it's kinda sad that she couldn't find a time for herself until she was elderly.

Comment

So by investment u mean helps her with studies

Comment

Ma sha'Allah, how amazing example for everyone to follow, In shs'Allah.
              What a dream. <3

Comment

Being illiterate doesn't mean she did not learn Quran, hadeeth and other islamic stuff off by heart?

Comment

Originally posted by Mintchocchip View Post
                  Being illiterate doesn't mean she did not learn Quran, hadeeth and other islamic stuff off by heart?
                  clearly her being educated was not a priority and her having memorized hadith is pretty wishful thinking.

This thread really,really bothers me. One of the so called great modern scholars wife was illiterate? She was made to have children and serve her husband before learning to read?

I really need to verify this thru a another source as, if it is true then it dramatically changes that sheikhs standing permanently.

Comment

Originally posted by uccello verde View Post
                    Ma sha'Allah, how amazing example for everyone to follow, In shs'Allah.
                    What a dream. <3
                    What exactly is dreamy about this?

Comment

Very nice :love:

It was not uncommon, even in recent past, for women in certain countries to be illiterate. I found it interesting that a number of the most educated men I met when looking for marriage had illiterate mothers. Once when I asked, but how did you become a doctor and become so knowledgeable in deen, it was said that they had to read the mail and newspapers to their mom, but she raised good children because of the care she provided and from education that was available outside of the house.

In this case, maybe she didn’t seek education early because she was satisfied with what she was doing in helping her kids and her husband. When your kids are grown, you end up with a lot of free time and so you find activities to occupy you. It’s nice to read that her husband encouraged her to invest in herself.

Comment

Originally posted by Sister_2009 View Post
                        Very nice :love:

It was not uncommon, even in recent past, for women in certain countries to be illiterate. I found it interesting that a number of the most educated men I met when looking for marriage had illiterate mothers. Once when I asked, but how did you become a doctor and become so knowledgeable in deen, it was said that they had to read the mail and newspapers to their mom, but she raised good children because of the care she provided and from education that was available outside of the house.

In this case, maybe she didn’t seek education early because she was satisfied with what she was doing in helping her kids and her husband. When your kids are grown, you end up with a lot of free time and so you find activities to occupy you. It’s nice to read that her husband encouraged her to invest in herself.
                        Were not talking about her not having a PhD,this is basic,,everyday, literacy.

This opens up a huge can of worms about misogyny and oppression of women.

how is a mother supposed to teach her children to read if she can't? a child's education starts long before they ever leave the house for school.
                        with young children the mother is the first and primary educator,children should have the some basics taught by their mother. I could count,knew the alphabet and had some reading skills before I ever entered public education as that is considered normal and advantageous.
                        how is she supposed to better herself educationally and islamically when she can't read her own name?

What kind of example does this set for young girls? your only value is to push out babies? your only value is waiting on your husband and being available for breeding?

This quote is not sweet or enlightening or inspirational,it's very,very disturbing. The man was a scholar but couldn't bother to teach his own wife to read?
                        \What kind of man is that?what kind of example is that? what kind of leader is that?

That not part of the sunnah at all,in fact it goes against the sunnah.

He can teach men from here, there and other places about the deen but can't educate his own wife? seriously?

If you met a woman in her 30's,40's or 50's tomorrow and she couldn't read but her husband had a PhD what would be your response?
                        I would be shocked and horrified. I would do everything I could possibly do to see that that women got immediate help in learning to read.
                        It would be top priority.

when the whites enslaved africans and brought them to the caribbean and southern states to be slaves it was against the law to teach them to read as
                        an educated slave was considered a dangerous slave and an ignorant slave is a submissive slave. this immediately came to mind when I read the quote above.

I'm actually pretty shocked that some sisters approve of this and think it's somehow sweet that he ALLOWED her to learn to read till after her children were grown.

Whole thing has the foul stench of jahilliyyah and oppression of women hanging about it and there's a part of me that hopes it not true but sadly it probably is.

If the sheikh had married this women,found out she couldn't read,taught her to read and then had children that would be inspirational.

Reading is a highly recommended bordering on wajib in islam,not optional,not if you feel like it or when you get around to it.

universal literacy is one of the goals of islam as can be seen from hadith and seerah.

Comment

[MENTION=113221]Samsandman[/MENTION], you missed the point of my post, and I’m not going to entertain the rest of what you’ve written.

Comment

Originally posted by Samsandman View Post
                            clearly her being educated was not a priority and her having memorized hadith is pretty wishful thinking.

This thread really,really bothers me. One of the so called great modern scholars wife was illiterate? She was made to have children and serve her husband before learning to read?

I really need to verify this thru a another source as, if it is true then it dramatically changes that sheikhs standing permanently.
                            I agree. Was going to write a huge reply to the OP but thought forget it.

It really is disturbing that such a knowledgable person would not consider it a priority to educate his wife.

Is this article for real??

Comment

I have mixed feelings about this. Then again, we don't know the whole story.

Comment

Working...
                              X