No announcement yet.

'investing' in your wife, an example from the life of sheikh ibn uthaymeen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 'investing' in your wife, an example from the life of sheikh ibn uthaymeen

Originally posted by Samsandman View Post
    in the lifetime of the Prophet sallahu alayhi wasalam and was written in full in book form as they feared that to many huffaz were being killed in jihad and that it was endanger of being lost.
    Wrong.
    You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

I can't believe you think literacy is privilege. That's an arrogant,jahil mentality.something that I would expect from christians a 1000 yrs ago but not from a muslimah in the 21st century.

even if she was married young at 14 or 16 thats still more than enough time for someone to teach here to read.

literacy for men women and all muslims is a basic right not a privilege. The Quran has been in written form since the khaliphate of Uthman ra for a reason. the Ahadeeth have been in written form for the better part of 1200 years for a reason.

A man that encourages his sons to learn to read but not his daughters IS an oppressor. Educated,literate woman are strong women. women are the primary educators of children so this is a rather
      important subject.n

I know I sound like a male feminist saying all this but these are some pretty basic rights,like food,clean water and shelter. No wonder the women of this ummah feel oppressed.
      I'm surprised that it's a sister defending this behaviour.

And if you feel so strongly about literacy for women being a privilege than maybe you shouldn't be reading this,seems it's a privilege you don't deserve since you take it for granted.
      Bring us a verse or hadith where ensuring one's wife is literate is an obligation on her husband.

Otherwise if you're gonna attack someone, attack the woman herself.
      You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkdeutscher View Post
        It's not obligatory on the husband to ensure his wife is literate. Stop attacking the shaykh with your ignorance.
        never said it was HIS obligation but it clearly reflects on his character.

Seeking knowledge is not the exclusive right of men.

Comment

never said it was HIS obligation but it clearly reflects on his character.

Seeking knowledge is not the exclusive right of men.
          Did he stop her? Why didn't she bother herself?

If you're gonna criticize someone let it be the wife.

Comment

“He who has a slave-girl and teaches her good manners and improves her education and then manumits and marries her, will get a double reward; and any slave who observes ALLAH’s right and his master’s right will get a double reward.” (Sahih Bukhari)

Its rewarded in Islam to even teach women who were slaves.

Literacy is so important in Islam. How could you learn about our religion without being able to read, since knowledge is no longer spread primarily orally? And to learn other sciences and to do anything in life?

Check out my avatar.
            وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Wrong.
              you want to refute imam bukhari?

Bukhari: vol. 6, hadith 509, p. 477; book 61
              Narrated Zaid-bin-Thabit:
              Abu Bakr As-Siddiq sent for me when the people of Yama-ma had been killed (i.e. a number of the prophets companions who fought against Musailama). (I went to him) and found Umar bin Al-Khattab sitting with him. Abu Bakr then said to me, "Umar has come to me and said: `Casualties were heavy among the Qurra of the Qur'an (ie those who knew the Qur'an by heart) on the day of the battle of Yama-ma, and I am afraid that more heavy casualties may take place among the Qurra on other battle fields, whereby a large part of the Qur'an may be lost. Therefore I suggest that you (Abu Bakr) order that the Qur'an be collected'. I said to Umar, `How can you do something Allah's Apostle did not do?' Umar said, `By Allah, that is a good project'. Umar kept on urging me to accept his proposal till Allah opened my chest (persuaded me) for it and I began to realise the good idea which Umar had realised.

Comment

Did he stop her? Why didn't she bother herself?

If you're gonna criticize someone let it be the wife.
                What an odd comment. do you really think this sister didn't read because of laziness (which is somewhat slander) or because institutional and cultural oppression that limited women from education?
                وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic Believer View Post
                  I have mixed feelings about this. Then again, we don't know the whole story.
                  Me too and I don’t want to comment on the story exactly for that reason..

But in general, children and housework shouldn’t prevent a sister from seeking knowledge.
                  رَّبِّ ارْحَمْهُمَا كَمَا رَبَّيَانِي صَغِيرًا

Comment

Originally posted by Umm Uthmaan View Post
                    Me too and I don’t want to comment on the story exactly for that reason..

But in general, children and housework shouldn’t prevent a sister from seeking knowledge.
                    Neither suckling children nor housework is an obligation for a wife but that's conveniently overlooked entirely in this thread.
                    Funny how that is,eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Rumaysah~ View Post
                      lol typical ummah forum, always getting the wrong end of the stick and seeing the glass half empty.
                      We're not all wowed at the fact that she was illiterate, all of us here can read and write. Two generations ago this was not the case, use your brains and apply her situation to today.

We have women brought to the west from their home countries who can't read, write or speak english. Their husbands don't bother enrolling them at a school. This is just one example. So instead of backbiting the sheikh who is better than most of you, how about you open your mind a little and understand the time/generation that she was living in and in what state a country like saudi was in back then. Also why are you some of you shocked, she had a good husband. There are men treating their wives like slaves and punching bags but you guys are angry at a sheikh who taught his wife to read and write?
                      This is exactly what came to mind. Folks are struggling to think outside of the box and make basic connections.

Comment

you want to refute imam bukhari?

Bukhari: vol. 6, hadith 509, p. 477; book 61
                        Narrated Zaid-bin-Thabit:
                        Abu Bakr As-Siddiq sent for me when the people of Yama-ma had been killed (i.e. a number of the prophets companions who fought against Musailama). (I went to him) and found Umar bin Al-Khattab sitting with him. Abu Bakr then said to me, "Umar has come to me and said: `Casualties were heavy among the Qurra of the Qur'an (ie those who knew the Qur'an by heart) on the day of the battle of Yama-ma, and I am afraid that more heavy casualties may take place among the Qurra on other battle fields, whereby a large part of the Qur'an may be lost. Therefore I suggest that you (Abu Bakr) order that the Qur'an be collected'. I said to Umar, `How can you do something Allah's Apostle did not do?' Umar said, `By Allah, that is a good project'. Umar kept on urging me to accept his proposal till Allah opened my chest (persuaded me) for it and I began to realise the good idea which Umar had realised.
                        Reread what I quoted from your post and compare it to what you blindly copied.

Comment

Originally posted by Sister_2009 View Post
                          This is exactly what came to mind. Folks are struggling to think outside of the box and make basic connections.
                          lol sis, I'm actually amazed how the whole point of the thread is being missed. A thread that is pro female education somehow turned into accusations that i'm against female education.
                          I don't know how else I'm supposed to explain it.
                          شَكَوْتُ إلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي
                          فَأرْشَدَنِي إلَى تَرْكِ المعَاصي
                          وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ
                          ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

Comment

Originally posted by Rumaysah~ View Post
                            lol sis, I'm actually amazed how the whole point of the thread is being missed. A thread that is pro female education somehow turned into accusations that i'm against female education.
                            I don't know how else I'm supposed to explain it.
                            For real. I find it very strange. This is a relatively recent phenomenon here, where so much is misinterpreted. It makes for a difficult time trying to have a good discussion when majority of the thread is spent explaining very basic concepts. Sigh.

Comment

Reread what I quoted from your post and compare it to what you blindly copied.
                              I stated facts,you brought an unfounded opinion with no daleel and I countered with daleel from an authentic source.

I can reread it a hundred times and the results are the same.

Comment

Assalamu alaykum

From reading the quote I believe this women is an honourable Muslimaah and an example for all of us. Her husband was a scholar Raheemahullah , and she even refers to him as "the Shaykh" , which signifies how much she must have respected him , and does respect him publicly. She also mentions how she used to serve him and assist him , as any noble Muslim wife would strive to do. She is a muhsinaat. May Allah preserve her , ameen.

I think it's important not to get caught up with western values. The mere saying of .. "She served her husband .." from a Western standpoint is unacceptable , and clear misogyny. That is not true from an Islamic standpoint. A wife is suppose to serve her husband ( The Ulaama have stated this ). Of course the husband also has certain obligations , and even beyond that , compassion and mercy.

wa Allahu alam.
                                Last edited by AmantuBillahi; 31-10-17, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X