Female Iraqi MP calls on government to encourage polygamy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female Iraqi MP calls on government to encourage polygamy

DUBAI: A female Iraqi MP is calling on the government to encourage polygamy by providing men with financial benefits if they choose to marry more than one wife.
    Jamila Al Ebeidi is set to collect signatures in support of her planned bill which she says is designed to “protect the dignity” of widows, divorced women and older women, Al Sumaria news website reported Sunday.
    The government could provide financial incentives to encourage men to have more than one wife, Al Ebeidi told media at Baghdad’s parliament building Sunday.
    “While we express thanks to men who voluntarily celebrate International Women’s Day… We should remind [women] MPs… [not embracing polygamy] despite increasing spinsterhood and divorced women, who now exceed four million, is selfishness,” she added.
    “We must renounce the one-woman mentality at the expense of our sisters,” she said.
    Polygamy for men in the country is legal according to a 1959 law but it requires a judge’s permission and states that there should be legitimate reasons for the extra marriage, such as if the first wife is unable to bear children.
    ---------------------------
    Situation critical and people here r still debating if its mustahab or sunnah :s
    And theres similar situation is so many other countries.
    People will be questioned on everything they say,,
    Marrying and supporting women remains the duty of muslim men.

Female Iraqi MP calls on government to encourage polygamy

True feminist with sound reasoning.
    “Have you seen he who has taken as his god his [own] desire, and Allah has sent him astray due to knowledge and has set a seal upon his hearing and his heart and put over his vision a veil? So who will guide him after Allah ? Then will you not be reminded? And they say, “There is not but our worldly life; we die and live, and nothing destroys us except time.” And they have of that no knowledge; they are only assuming.” Quran 45:23-24

Comment

Re: Female Iraqi MP calls on government to encourage polygamy

Makes sense, didn't they do the same in Bosnia after the war?

Comment

you guys don't understand how painful this can be for females..
        I don't think you'll ever truly understand, so no point explaining..
        do you think every female who would prefer their husband not marrying another woman, is selfish?
        And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
        [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

Originally posted by Creamcake View Post
          do you think every female who would prefer their husband not marrying another woman, is selfish?
          Ukthi you recall what Allah عز و جل said right?

He knows everything,

:sub:

Wether a sister will like or not or how difficult it maybe for her to share her husband is a different matter,

It is Halaal, so we can't speak against it.
          http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Comment

Speak for yourself. Plenty of sisters out there who are pretty secure and confident abbot themselves. I Know a brother who his wife found him a 2nd wife.
            Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see.

Comment

To dislike it is one thing, but to prevent it is another.
              "Had Allah lifted the veil for his slave and shown him how He handles his affairs for him, and how Allah is more keen for the benefit of the slave than his own self, his heart would have melted out of the love for Allah and would have been torn to pieces out of thankfulness to Allah. Therefore if the pains of this world tire you do not grieve. For it may be that Allah wishes to hear your voice by way of duaa. So pour out your desires in prostration and forget about it and know; that verily Allah does not forget it."
              - Ibn al Qayyim (rahimahullah)

Comment

Originally posted by aidaalej View Post
                To dislike it is one thing, but to prevent it is another.
                I never mentioned preventing it, or even disliking it sis. Just that it's tough for most sisters, and that's a fact. If you're fine for your husband to get a second wife and you'd be happy about it, that's really good Masha ' Allah, but a large majority of us aren't like that, and we can't help it. Its natural to be jealous and protective over your husband. And I don't think it's fair to make us feel guilty about it. I know it's permissible and I wouldn't prevent my future husband from doing it ofcourse because of that reason, but it doesn't mean I'd be super happy about it. lol.

Originally posted by InTheBegining View Post
                Speak for yourself. Plenty of sisters out there who are pretty secure and confident abbot themselves. I Know a brother who his wife found him a 2nd wife.
                I never mentioned lack of security or lack of confidence, it's not to do with that. I'm probably not very confident, but plenty of sisters who are still would prefer a monogamous marriage.

Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post
                Ukthi you recall what Allah عز و جل said right?

He knows everything,

:sub:

Wether a sister will like or not or how difficult it maybe for her to share her husband is a different matter,

It is Halaal, so we can't speak against it.
                Of course, you mean in regards to polygamy being permissible? When did I say otherwise.. I'm confused, you're acting as though I said something else.
                I know, when did I speak out against it and say that I disliked it even? I said that it's painful and that no man would understand because you're not a woman right, so you can't experience that pain. And that is true, you can't deny that a lot of females would prefer a monogamous marriage. Being jealous in this situation is perfectly understandable and human, it's how we were created. There are some who genuinely don't mind, which is great. You're married right, maybe your wife is fine with polygamy or maybe you have multiple wives, I don't know. But I was speaking generally , and you said as though I said something haram or forbade something..
                And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”

Comment

I never mentioned preventing it, or even disliking it sis. Just that it's tough for most sisters, and that's a fact. If you're fine for your husband to get a second wife and you'd be happy about it, that's really good Masha ' Allah, but a large majority of us aren't like that, and we can't help it. Its natural to be jealous and protective over your husband. And I don't think it's fair to make us feel guilty about it. I know it's permissible and I wouldn't prevent my future husband from doing it ofcourse because of that reason, but it doesn't mean I'd be super happy about it. lol.
                  Sorry, I should have been clear. You asked, "do you think every female who would prefer their husband not marrying another woman, is selfish?", inquiring if others saw a woman who prefers her husband to practice mongamy as a bad person. I meant that preventing it is selfish and that would be bad. Disliking it also selfish but it's understandable as being selfish in some situations is justifiable. Being in a relationship where your spouse is with another person is hard. Who wouldn't experience jealousy at some point? Look at Aisha's jealousy towards Khadija. The sahabiyat were among the best of people but they experienced this as well.

I agree with you sis, I don't think it's nice for others to shame women for wanting to be their husband's only wife. To want this is understandable.
                  "Had Allah lifted the veil for his slave and shown him how He handles his affairs for him, and how Allah is more keen for the benefit of the slave than his own self, his heart would have melted out of the love for Allah and would have been torn to pieces out of thankfulness to Allah. Therefore if the pains of this world tire you do not grieve. For it may be that Allah wishes to hear your voice by way of duaa. So pour out your desires in prostration and forget about it and know; that verily Allah does not forget it."
                  - Ibn al Qayyim (rahimahullah)

Comment

Is that more painful or 4 million Muslim divorcees, widows, and older spinsters?
                    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
                    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

I never mentioned lack of security or lack of confidence, it's not to do with that. I'm probably not very confident, but plenty of sisters who are still would prefer a monogamous marriage.

Of course, you mean in regards to polygamy being permissible? When did I say otherwise.. I'm confused, you're acting as though I said something else.
                      I know, when did I speak out against it and say that I disliked it even? I said that it's painful and that no man would understand because you're not a woman right, so you can't experience that pain. And that is true, you can't deny that a lot of females would prefer a monogamous marriage. Being jealous in this situation is perfectly understandable and human, it's how we were created. There are some who genuinely don't mind, which is great. You're married right, maybe your wife is fine with polygamy or maybe you have multiple wives, I don't know. But I was speaking generally , and you said as though I said something haram or forbade something..
                      What's with this we don't understand, we'll never understand stuff then?

It's irrelevant because Allah عز و جل clearly understands perfectly and has permitted it for good reason,
                      http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Comment

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post
                        Is that more painful or 4 million Muslim divorcees, widows, and older spinsters?
                        I understand that but lots of second wives don't even end up being divorcees/widows/older spinsters. As far as I know, a lot tend to be younger and single (and haven't been married before). You are right, I guess it's just not something easy for a lot of females to be super happy with, in their own marriages. Of course we accept it though but yeah.. it's tough to explain. I feel like not that many men are capable of dealing justly between the wives, and sometimes it ends up ruining 3 lives. Sometimes everyone involved is happy though so it depends, I don't know. Its not just me its a common feeling amongst lots of sisters, despite how practicing they are..

Comment

Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post
                          What's with this we don't understand, we'll never understand stuff then?

It's irrelevant because Allah عز و جل clearly understands perfectly and has permitted it for good reason,
                          okay but its true your a man so you don't feel that pain and that's just a fact. The same way men don't feel pregnancy pain so they can make a hood guess but will never know exactly what it feels like. I understand that its permitted but its not like recommended or emphasised more than one wife (tell me if I'm incorrect), yet some men defend it with their life and soul and there are so many sunnahs but its the only one they argue for. I'm guessing your in a polygamous marriage and ur wife is fine with it?

Comment

Obviously any women would prefer a 1:1 monogamous relationship, but you have to think of your fellow suffering sisters in Islam, who's going to marry them and look after them? Answer, a husband. This reason of legality around polygamy is specifically designed for these situations.

Comment

I don't get it

why is the government encouraged to provide support for 2nd wife. why not just support the female then instead of providing finance to man who will then pass it down to women. Too many levels of bureaucracy . Give it to the one in need.

I understand war torn countries where man are in limited supply but the country is still in war. More man will die. would it be beneficial to have more widows. one man dies & 4 women become widows. Why not encourage man from other parts of the world to marry these divorces, widow and spinsters. There men:women ratio is 1:1. so for every men that marries more than one women, there will be another man left without a wife. So many brothers are having hard time finding wife, just look at ummah forum. Why not help those single brothers get married. So many immigrants from Asia and Africa in middle east who can't afford to have wife. Why not support them to take on a wife. You get double reward

Comment

Working...
                              X