Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you spend your free time?

Originally posted by Abu-Yahya View Post
    Any examples for what one could discover? As for cooking, how can you learn it? Ya3ni, you just follow the recipe, it's quite easy and simple. The hard thing about cooking is more or less figuring out what to cook. (And there are usually others who cook for me in the first place.)
    Anyone can follow a recipe. But actual cooking is more than that. There's a lot that goes into cooking. Learning how to perfectly season foods, how to cook meat properly, how to build favor profiles, how to correctly use a knife, how to sharpen your knives, mise en place, learning to taste as you go, knowing what more your food needs, learning how to manage your time in the kitchen, learning different techniques to remaster the same type of meat or vegetable, knowing when to take something off heat, knowing the difference between a clove and a bulb of garlic, knowing what appliances you should have in the kitchen and how to use them, having an idea of how to fix or save a dish once you've made a mistake, knowing how to adapt or create an entirely new dish, simply having good presentation on the plate, etc, etc. There's so much more. There is a reason cooking is a science. There is a reason cooking is a profession. It takes skill and experience. A lot of it, to be a good cook.
    Last edited by Comrox; 06-02-17, 10:43 PM.

Comment

make tea for my mum, amuse my little bro, help my sister, call my father, browse ummah
      وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

There is a lot to do, some will cost others wont. Here are some ideas:

Islamic:
        - Pray salah in masjid
        - Attend halaqas
        - Do islamic courses
        - Attend lectures
        - Assist with charity work
        - Listen/watch lectures online
        - Spend time with parents
        - Waste time on UF : )

Other:
        - Sports
        - Gym
        - Pool/8ball
        - Golf driving range
        - Bowling
        - Shooting - avoid if you live in a non muslim country!
        - Paintballing
        - Go karting
        - Cinemas
        - Eating out
        - Going for drives
        - Amusement parks
        - xbox/playstation
        - Attend sports/motorsports events
        - Shopping
        - Window-shopping
        - DIY/maintenence work for house/car
        - Help younger siblings with studies
        - Learn a skill: first aid, languages, diy skills
        - Volunteer at community events

Comment

Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post
          make tea for my mum, amuse my little bro, help my sister, call my father, browse ummah
          BarakAllahu Feeki.
          Originally posted by Strivingbro View Post
          There is a lot to do, some will cost others wont. Here are some ideas:

Islamic:
          - Pray salah in masjid
          - Attend halaqas
          - Do islamic courses
          - Attend lectures
          - Assist with charity work
          - Listen/watch lectures online
          - Spend time with parents
          - Waste time on UF : )

Other:
          - Sports
          - Gym
          - Pool/8ball
          - Golf driving range
          - Bowling
          - Shooting - avoid if you live in a non muslim country!
          - Paintballing
          - Go karting
          - Cinemas
          - Eating out
          - Going for drives
          - Amusement parks
          - xbox/playstation
          - Attend sports/motorsports events
          - Shopping
          - Window-shopping
          - DIY/maintenence work for house/car
          - Help younger siblings with studies
          - Learn a skill: first aid, languages, diy skills
          - Volunteer at community events
          Akhiii! I love you feesabililah. Brother, waste time on UF? Akhi, in sha Allah it's very useful, what we do here. Not waste of time.

Shooting in Muslim countries only? Brother, you made me laugh. That could be misunderstood, and it's not like it's legal in all non-Muslim countries.

But BarakAllahu Feek kardeşim. Some of the things you mentioned interest me a lot actually, especially shooting, in non-Muslim countries of course. You know, I'd love to learn how to ride a horse as well akhi, I even studied how to do it, but never tried. It's like you read how to drive a car, but never did it before.

A bit off topic, but apropos shooting, do you know that some hadith says that shooting an arrow in war is like freeing a slave? Al-Awlaqi mentioned something like: "If one arrow rewards freeing of one slave, then imagine the reward for shooting with a kalashnikov." (As far as I know) SubhanAllah. It's good to learn shooting (archery/rifle), driving (horse/car/tank) and swimming.

Alhamdulilah.
          Sisters don't rep or joke with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu-Yahya View Post
            BarakAllahu Feeki.

Akhiii! I love you feesabililah. Brother, waste time on UF? Akhi, in sha Allah it's very useful, what we do here. Not waste of time.

Shooting in Muslim countries only? Brother, you made me laugh. That could be misunderstood, and it's not like it's legal in all non-Muslim countries.

But BarakAllahu Feek kardeşim. Some of the things you mentioned interest me a lot actually, especially shooting, in non-Muslim countries of course. You know, I'd love to learn how to ride a horse as well akhi, I even studied how to do it, but never tried. It's like you read how to drive a car, but never did it before.

A bit off topic, but apropos shooting, do you know that some hadith says that shooting an arrow in war is like freeing a slave? Al-Awlaqi mentioned something like: "If one arrow rewards freeing of one slave, then imagine the reward for shooting with a kalashnikov." (As far as I know) SubhanAllah. It's good to learn shooting (archery/rifle), driving (horse/car/tank) and swimming.

Alhamdulilah.
            Be careful, you dont want to end up on a watchlist.

Air rifles and clay pigeon shooting you can probably get away with but I wouldn't advise any more than that. My younger brother was in the army cadets, he got to shoot the proper stuff. You can join the cadets or reserves depending on how old you are.

Avoid mentioning Awlaki in that context, some of his views were no different to isis

Comment

Learn something new or a new skill. Get really good at something.
              Serve your mother, meet up with other brothers.
              Go on holiday, travel for a bit. Do something outside your comfort zone.
              and remember death a lot because that will make you stop feeling bored.
              شَكَوْتُ إلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي
              فَأرْشَدَنِي إلَى تَرْكِ المعَاصي
              وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ
              ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

Comment

nothing box
                Know that the life of this world is but amusement and diversion and adornment and boasting to one another and competition in increase of wealth and children...

-Quran (57:20)

Comment

I'm not married, and unfortunately will probably never be, but I have experience in it through family members marriages. Inshallah after you get married, you'll not worry about having nothing to do. If Allah wills, youll have a bundle of joy that will wake you up in the odd hours of the night ready to poop and be fed and poop again, only to pee on you while you change its diaper.

You'll be busy helping the wife with the chores, and make things easier on her since the child will wear her out more than your job will wear you out. You'll have fun trying to make the baby laugh, and teach it how to crawl, walk and poop in a toilet. Please don't be like the men from the country of my origin where they leave everything to the wife who in turn just let the kid sit infront of the tv or computer all day. Make sure you teach it Islam from a very young age. Explain who Allah is, where He is, and that He sees all things and knows us better than we know our selves. If you can afford it, do your best to keep your child in Islamic schools. There is too much fitna in normal schools, and they learn nothing about the deen in them. Make sure you teach them Arabic from early on so they wouldn't have to struggle with it later in life.

Above all, please don't hit your child. It really does damage them in the long run. A little tap on the hand or a light spanking is enough, but don't even let the skin get pink. It's best to explain why they are being punished and why what they did to get punished was wrong.

Also, you can always eat when your bored. It's a horrible habit but so enjoyable!

Comment

:wswrwb:

Masha'Allah my free time seems to finish very quickly unlike yours lol.

Anyways do you help your Mum around the house as in chores like cooking and cleaning?

1) Here are some things you can do while you're single:

-Reading (Islamic or non-Islamic)
                    -Start a project (could be a business idea/charity project/online blog/local initiative, etc)
                    -Workout
                    -Travel
                    -Memorise Qur'an (if you're hafith, learn the the tafseer)
                    -Devise an Islamic reading programme for yourself covering Arabic language, Fiqh, usool, hadeeth, tafseer, 'Uloom ul Qur'an, Seerah and Taareekh.

2) When you're married:

-All/some of the above with your wife.
                    -Go out with your spouse
                    -Visit your in-laws
                    Teach your wife what you know.
                    -Help your spouse in housework

You'll find that this period of freetime that you have right now will not be here for long as soon you'll be hit with a lot of responsibilities so make the most of it now insha'Allah.

Comment

:salams:

invest it in your aakhirah

Ibn Abbas reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “There are two blessings which many people waste: health and free time.”

Source: Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī 6049

Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to Al-Bukhari
                      What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked Allah for yesterday?

We worry about tomorrow as if its guaranteed

Comment

Working...
                      X