Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you spend your free time?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How do you spend your free time?

    :start:

    :salams

    How do you spend your free time?




    A very simple question, and I genuinely believe I could get some good advice on this question in sha Allah.
    This is a question which both has to do with marriage and islamic lifestyle in general.

    For married brothers, especially ones with no children: Apart for intimacy, what else do you do together? Seriously, what else is there to do? I mean, you can't just watch haram-serials on netflix like many non-muslims or watch television like many of our elders. So what do you do apart from intimate things? Shopping? Talk about the weather? Going for walks? Attend lectures? Study deen together?

    And for non-married brethren
    : What do you do when you're alone and have weekend/days-off, or just have some extra free time at the evening?
    Do you all spend all day praying, doing dhikr, reciting Qur'an, attending islamic classes/listenning to duroos, pray extra prayers, sleeping? But how do you entertain yourself if you ever do it, play fifa?



    I'm asking cause after a very intense period I was home most of the day today, and it was pretty relaxing Alhamdulilah, but also boring at the same time.
    So say apart from everyday things like salah, eating, sleeping, working out etc. what do you do?

    Usually I attend islamic lectures and spend time with brothers, but only upto like 5 times a week, and when there's no lectures, and no work/study, and I've already spend many hours on islamic studies and extra sunnahs, then I have a hard time deciding what else I can do, I mean I have no child or anything like that with whom I can spend time with. Yes I can write a poem, and yes I can spend time with my mother, but how do you spend time with your mother apart from drinking her tea or eating her food? And how do you write a poem, when you do not have the mood? There might be a reason why prisoners write a lot of poetry, maybe cause they're extremely bored.
    Let's say you listen to duroos, say 5 hours.
    Then recite qur'an and try to memorise some verses, say 2 hours.
    Now you might do some dhikr and extra salah etc: 1 hour.

    Now that's only 8 hours in total, if we take out 2 hours for everyday things, how do you spend the next 6 hours if you're active 16 hours? How do you 'cooldown', ya3ni do you go for walks or something like that? Or play videogames? What do you do?




    BarakAllahu Feekum!
    Sisters don't rep or joke with me.

  • #2
    Re: How do you spend your free time?

    :wswrwb:


    But how do you entertain yourself if you ever do it, play fifa?
    No, but other video games.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: How do you spend your free time?

      :wswrwb:

      There's too much to do.

      So many things to discover.

      Learn how to cook.
      'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

      So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: How do you spend your free time?

        You don't get to be free in a prison
        [SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][B][U][CENTER]Oh Allah, in your name, I die and live.[/CENTER][/U][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]
        [CENTER]:):lailah::lailah::lailah::lailah::)[/CENTER]

        [B][CENTER]Ya Allah, Grant Me A Heart That Sees[/CENTER][/B]

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: How do you spend your free time?

          But lol gaming is one of my hobbies
          [SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][B][U][CENTER]Oh Allah, in your name, I die and live.[/CENTER][/U][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]
          [CENTER]:):lailah::lailah::lailah::lailah::)[/CENTER]

          [B][CENTER]Ya Allah, Grant Me A Heart That Sees[/CENTER][/B]

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: How do you spend your free time?

            Originally posted by zantz View Post
            You don't get to be free in a prison
            I'm also asking about the entertainment which is actually recommended.

            Yaani, we entertain and please our spouses and family with the intention of pleasing Allah.
            We study/work etc. with the will of being able to sustain for the family, and those who are in need, with the will of pleasing Allah.
            More or less everything we do can become a way of worshipping.

            As for entertaining ourselves in various activities, like practising archery/shooting, there should be another intention as well , right? This basically makes videogames and tv a waste of time.
            Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post
            :wswrwb:

            There's too much to do.

            So many things to discover.

            Learn how to cook.
            Any examples for what one could discover? As for cooking, how can you learn it? Ya3ni, you just follow the recipe, it's quite easy and simple. The hard thing about cooking is more or less figuring out what to cook. (And there are usually others who cook for me in the first place.)
            Sisters don't rep or joke with me.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: How do you spend your free time?

              Originally posted by Abu-Yahya View Post
              I'm also asking about the entertainment which is actually recommended.

              Yaani, we entertain and please our spouses and family with the intention of pleasing Allah.
              We study/work etc. with the will of being able to sustain for the family, and those who are in need, with the will of pleasing Allah.
              More or less everything we do can become a way of worshipping.

              As for entertaining ourselves in various activities, like practising archery/shooting, there should be another intention as well , right? This basically makes videogames and tv a waste of time.

              Any examples for what one could discover? As for cooking, how can you learn it? Ya3ni, you just follow the recipe, it's quite easy and simple. The hard thing about cooking is more or less figuring out what to cook. (And there are usually others who cook for me in the first place.)
              Are you trolling?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: How do you spend your free time?

                I see a question for married brothers, so not sure if you're asking in general or for men only. But things you can do together: Visit other couples, have conversations about a book you are currently reading, go to the book store together and pick something out for your partner and vice versa that you think they might like, play sports (tennis, ping pong, frisbee golf, etc.), have a picnic, get into landscape photography, take short road trips to discover and take photos, keep journals to document your life, go for walks and hikes, take a cooking class just for fun, do DIY projects for your house. There are many things to do. Maybe search online for other ideas.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: How do you spend your free time?

                  Originally posted by Abu-Yahya View Post
                  I'm also asking about the entertainment which is actually recommended.

                  Yaani, we entertain and please our spouses and family with the intention of pleasing Allah.
                  We study/work etc. with the will of being able to sustain for the family, and those who are in need, with the will of pleasing Allah.
                  More or less everything we do can become a way of worshipping.

                  As for entertaining ourselves in various activities, like practising archery/shooting, there should be another intention as well , right? This basically makes videogames and tv a waste of time.

                  Any examples for what one could discover? As for cooking, how can you learn it? Ya3ni, you just follow the recipe, it's quite easy and simple. The hard thing about cooking is more or less figuring out what to cook. (And there are usually others who cook for me in the first place.)
                  where do you live? go out and hunt down something halal lol and make a FEAST OUT OF IT

                  discover anything and everything

                  sorry, I don't think I can help you, I just know I have a lot to do. lol

                  Hope you can find something to use your time wisely or 'halal' entertainment
                  'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

                  So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: How do you spend your free time?

                    Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post
                    where do you live? go out and hunt down something halal lol and make a FEAST OUT OF IT

                    discover anything and everything

                    sorry, I don't think I can help you, I just know I have a lot to do. lol

                    Hope you can find something to use your time wisely or 'halal' entertainment
                    BaarakAllahu Feeki. Alhamdulilah, it is good you have a lot to tend to. It's not normal for Muslims or city folks to go hunting where I live, and it's not something I want to do alone but khair in sha Allah.

                    Originally posted by Sister_2009 View Post
                    I see a question for married brothers, so not sure if you're asking in general or for men only. But things you can do together: Visit other couples, have conversations about a book you are currently reading, go to the book store together and pick something out for your partner and vice versa that you think they might like, play sports (tennis, ping pong, frisbee golf, etc.), have a picnic, get into landscape photography, take short road trips to discover and take photos, keep journals to document your life, go for walks and hikes, take a cooking class just for fun, do DIY projects for your house. There are many things to do. Maybe search online for other ideas.
                    BaarakAllahu Feeki. Yes there was a reason I asked brothers only. Your ideas are quite interesting, it might interest many people. I'm just wondering basically what people actually do, especially brothers.

                    Originally posted by quark View Post
                    Are you trolling?
                    That's a reason why I usually avoid the mainstream forum section, I somehow manage to get disrespected by brethren in Islam, and it does disturb me. Am I known for trolling? Or did I say anything which makes me look like a troll dear brother?
                    Last edited by Abu-Yahya; 06-02-17, 08:54 PM.
                    Sisters don't rep or joke with me.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: How do you spend your free time?

                      Wa Alaykumussalam
                      Not sure how old/young you are, but you mentioned not studying or having a job, so I'm guessing pretty young. Don't worry, when you're older, so many responsibilities come at once, you'll crave your youthful, carefree days. Anyway getting to the question..

                      There are a million and one things to do. Not speaking from experience in relation to the marriage thing, but there are so many things to do. It's the same before and after marriage essentially..

                      Firstly, as a male, chances are you'll be at work half the day, on five days a week, or something like that, so plenty of time taken up there. So it's always a good idea to pick a job you enjoy, if you can.

                      Then in the evening, with your spouse.. by the time you've prayed, eaten, talked about the day, and just relaxed generally, probably not long till you sleep.

                      But seriously there is so much to do.. don't even know where to begin. Besides a job, educate yourself academically and also about the deen, online, in classes, lectures, travel and learn. Also, learn to drive if you want to, teach your spouse to drive, teach each other things, diy for her, cooking for him. Surprise her by baking or cooking, and cook together. Just talk to her, talk and laugh about everything and anything. Go on long drives. Or long walks. Go travelling, a different city or country. Visit your family and friends, together when appropriate like babysitting or visiting your fam or hers etc, and separately too. Watch lectures together, read the Qur'an together, pray together, learn more about Islam together, teach each other and constantly engage in learning more, explore the world, hajj and umrah, and holidays to whichever other places to, internationally or nationally. Shopping for groceries or clothing, laying in, playing on a console. Treasure hunts, buying each other gifts, wrapping and hiding them. Sit down and tell her stories, talk about your day, make her laugh, tickle her, just be yourself, it will come naturally. Do whatever you both enjoy that's halal, just you two, or with.. bowling, laser quest, eating out, indoor gym, rides at a funfair, visiting the beach, the park, a picnic or bbq, hiking, hot air ballooning, anything, Just say Alhamdulillah, that you have each other's company, and make the most of it, insha ' allah. I know that what I've said hasn't even scratched the surface, lol but this is long enough so khalaas for now.

                      And when kids come along.. then that's a whole other story, since you'll also be busy looking after the newborn, and then it's important to bond over the little one/s, plus make time for each other too, Insha ' Allah.
                      Last edited by Creamcake; 06-02-17, 09:04 PM.
                      And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
                      [al-An’aam 6:59]

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: How do you spend your free time?

                        Yhh you're right
                        I was just tryna be :deeeeeeep:
                        You put me to shame akhi



                        But lol videogames do have their benefits everything in moderation i say and ngl I learnt alot of wisdom from unclllllllllle in jackie chan adventures and master splinter from tmnt loooool
                        [SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][B][U][CENTER]Oh Allah, in your name, I die and live.[/CENTER][/U][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]
                        [CENTER]:):lailah::lailah::lailah::lailah::)[/CENTER]

                        [B][CENTER]Ya Allah, Grant Me A Heart That Sees[/CENTER][/B]

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: How do you spend your free time?

                          Originally posted by Abu-Yahya View Post
                          :start:

                          :
                          For married brothers, especially ones with no children: Apart for intimacy, what else do you do together? Seriously, what else is there to do? I mean, you can't just watch haram-serials on netflix like many non-muslims or watch television like many of our elders. So what do you do apart from intimate things? Shopping? Talk about the weather? Going for walks? Attend lectures? Study deen together?

                          BarakAllahu Feekum!
                          Not a brother but this is how we spent our "free time". sit next to each other or sit in same room & do our own thing. Sometimes our interest crossover but majority of the time he is on the TV or laptop catching up on sports which I have no interest in unless its superbowl or something big like that. While he is doing that, I will be on laptop or TV watching shows I like or shopping for furniture, which he hates. If something interesting happens we are right next to eachother to share

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: How do you spend your free time?

                            Keep companion of practicing brothers. Have halal gatherings. Not only having great lecture, but also have meal/tea together. Play football together.
                            Volunteer for Islamic organisations/charities. Help family and friends.
                            At times is good just sit down and reflect the world.


                            Don't you want your mind be connect to with your future wife?
                            Read Islamic books together and have a dialogue.
                            Recite Quran together and check each other's Tajweed.
                            Pray together.
                            Attend together Islamic events/Jumah.
                            Go hike/walk/jog. Race each other.
                            Do chores with her.
                            Your spouse should be also your best friend.

                            :salams

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: How do you spend your free time?

                              So unmarried brothers play video games.
                              And married brothers bake cookies.
                              Interesting.
                              Originally posted by Kya View Post
                              Not a brother but this is how we spent our "free time". sit next to each other or sit in same room & do our own thing. Sometimes our interest crossover but majority of the time he is on the TV or laptop catching up on sports which I have no interest in unless its superbowl or something big like that. While he is doing that, I will be on laptop or TV watching shows I like or shopping for furniture, which he hates. If something interesting happens we are right next to eachother to share
                              Aha, so you're basically together while doing other things. BarakAllahu Feeki.
                              Originally posted by Creamcake View Post
                              Wa Alaykumussalam
                              Not sure how old/young you are, but you mentioned not studying or having a job, so I'm guessing pretty young. Don't worry, when you're older, so many responsibilities come at once, you'll crave your youthful, carefree days. Anyway getting to the question..

                              There are a million and one things to do. Not speaking from experience in relation to the marriage thing, but there are so many things to do. It's the same before and after marriage essentially..

                              Firstly, as a male, chances are you'll be at work half the day, on five days a week, or something like that, so plenty of time taken up there. So it's always a good idea to pick a job you enjoy, if you can.

                              Then in the evening, with your spouse.. by the time you've prayed, eaten, talked about the day, and just relaxed generally, probably not long till you sleep.

                              But seriously there is so much to do.. don't even know where to begin. Besides a job, educate yourself academically and also about the deen, online, in classes, lectures, travel and learn. Also, learn to drive if you want to, teach your spouse to drive, teach each other things, diy for her, cooking for him. Surprise her by baking or cooking, and cook together. Just talk to her, talk and laugh about everything and anything. Go on long drives. Or long walks. Go travelling, a different city or country. Visit your family and friends, together when appropriate like babysitting or visiting your fam or hers etc, and separately too. Watch lectures together, read the Qur'an together, pray together, learn more about Islam together, teach each other and constantly engage in learning more, explore the world, hajj and umrah, and holidays to whichever other places to, internationally or nationally. Shopping for groceries or clothing, laying in, playing on a console. Treasure hunts, buying each other gifts, wrapping and hiding them. Sit down and tell her stories, talk about your day, make her laugh, tickle her, just be yourself, it will come naturally. Do whatever you both enjoy that's halal, just you two, or with.. bowling, laser quest, eating out, indoor gym, rides at a funfair, visiting the beach, the park, a picnic or bbq, hiking, hot air ballooning, anything, Just say Alhamdulillah, that you have each other's company, and make the most of it, insha ' allah. I know that what I've said hasn't even scratched the surface, lol but this is long enough so khalaas for now.

                              And when kids come along.. then that's a whole other story, since you'll also be busy looking after the newborn, and then it's important to bond over the little one/s, plus make time for each other too, Insha ' Allah.
                              JazakiAllahu khair. Alhamdulilah I'm young but not that young. Will get married soon in sha Allah. One of the reasons why I'm asking married brothers especially. I think you misunderstood the study/work part. I do have a job and a degree as well, so I've experienced student life and work life as well. And I do disagree with you in your saying that being young is easier. Being young is hard, studying all the time can tire your brain, and being lonely can tire your heart. Alhamdulilah being grown up is so nice.

                              Anyways BarakAllahu Feeki for your inputs. From reading your post it seems married life is going to be busy, Alhamdulilah. I have ideas of my own as well, I will in sha Allah write her some very good romantic poems, and deliver them in a beautiful manner eventually with a gift.

                              It seems there is less to be done when you're young, not much else to do besides being with brothers, islamic worship/knowledge seeking, and yes gaming of course.

                              There are no married brothers who posted yet, right? That kinda shows the point that married brothers are quite busy, Alhamdulilah.
                              Last edited by Abu-Yahya; 06-02-17, 10:20 PM.
                              Sisters don't rep or joke with me.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X