White dresses, rings and other rituals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White dresses, rings and other rituals

A lot of the wedding rituals that have become a norm today have strange roots and superstitious beliefs tied to them.
    Like the wedding cake and giving slices out to guests meaning you will have children or good luck, the wedding rings as a symbol of love and some other nonsense, the bouquet and throwing it at the end which was apparently originally meant to distract people who were trying to rip the brides dress off for good luck. Whether that is accurate or not even today they believe it's good luck for the one who catches it and I've seen muslims do this. The flowers themselves have some symbolic meaning behind it.

As for the white dress, I don't think it has any beliefs attached to it but I think it's stupid that women all over the world feel like they have to wear an expensive white dress when they have their own cultural dress. The trend was started by some queen in England, If you are not from that culture, why wear it? I don't see white men or women wearing anybody else's cultural wedding attire, so why are we doing it? It looks wrong to me.
    شَكَوْتُ إلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي
    فَأرْشَدَنِي إلَى تَرْكِ المعَاصي
    وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ
    ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

Re: White dresses, rings and other rituals

But if it no longer has that significance is it still bad? I don't think a lot of the people who do this know what it originally meant.

But I think it's a problem if they look down on their traditional wedding attire.
    Narrated Anas:
    The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "None of you will have faith till he wishes for his (Muslim) brother what he likes for himself." [Bukhari]

Comment

AsSalaamu Alaikum

As marraige is an act of Ibadah, it may be an issue if we immitate the rituals of other beliefs within our worship.

Comment

Originally posted by Rumaysah~ View Post
        A lot of the wedding rituals that have become a norm today have strange roots and superstitious beliefs tied to them.
        Like the wedding cake and giving slices out to guests meaning you will have children or good luck, the wedding rings as a symbol of love and some other nonsense, the bouquet and throwing it at the end which was apparently originally meant to distract people who were trying to rip the brides dress off for good luck. Whether that is accurate or not even today they believe it's good luck for the one who catches it and I've seen muslims do this. The flowers themselves have some symbolic meaning behind it.

As for the white dress, I don't think it has any beliefs attached to it but I think it's stupid that women all over the world feel like they have to wear an expensive white dress when they have their own cultural dress. The trend was started by some queen in England, If you are not from that culture, why wear it? I don't see white men or women wearing anybody else's cultural wedding attire, so why are we doing it? It looks wrong to me.
        Straight down the lizard hole
        Last edited by InTheBegining; 17-10-16, 09:23 PM.
        Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see.

Comment

I've noticed everyone wants to be as western as possible, the white dress the bridesmaid, the bouquets. Wannabees.

I'm sticking to chicken curry and bhangra :1popcorn: I know my 'roots' and that is a NICE RED OR MAROON dress, urgh I hate white wedding dresses so fluffy and huge, Victorian era :/

totally like not my type :zzz: I'm taking the cake though, no distribution, AS IF, it's going in my mouth and me belly. Lubbly jubbly. None of the five hundred tiers though, utter madness. I'm not that crazy.

BUT BUT, girls can do what they want, their marriage, don't really care.

Good thread though and yeh there are some symbolic meanings to these rituals.
          'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Originally posted by InTheBegining View Post
            straight down the lizard hole.

I see

:1popcorn:

hmm
            Last edited by Ya'sin; 17-10-16, 09:31 PM.
            'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Most muslim majority countries have cultures and traditions surrounding wedding clothing, food..etc that may pre-date Islam, I don't see how that's any different then western culture. When people are giving out cake it's simply as a desert.
              17-07

Comment

People can wear what they want (within Sharia guidelines of course). It's their wedding. Why try to impose one's view on other.

For men, some wear Indian Sherwani, some wear ab Arab thobe, some wear a suit, some might go more formal and wear a morning suit or a black tie attire.

It's their wedding, their choice.

Same with girls. Whether she wants to wear a saree, lengha or Western dress, its her choice.
                Last edited by Khalid b. Walid; 18-10-16, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Their wedding, their choice. You should mind your own business.

Comment

But are these rituals forbidden in Islam?

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid b. Walid View Post
                      People can wear what they want (within Sharia guidelines of course). It's their wedding. Why try to impose one's view on other.

For men, some wear Indian Sherwani, some wear ab Arab thobe, some wear a suit, some might go more formal and wear a morning suit or a black tie attire.

It's their wedding, their choice.

Same with girls. Whether she wants to wear a saree, lengha or Western dress, its her choice.
                      If I was imposing my views on others, I would be out there forcing people to change their wedding preferences.
                      Everyone can do whatever they like, where did I say they can't?

Originally posted by 'noname View Post
                      Their wedding, their choice. You should mind your own business.
                      Dumbest comment of 2016
                      شَكَوْتُ إلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي
                      فَأرْشَدَنِي إلَى تَرْكِ المعَاصي
                      وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ
                      ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

Comment

I agree with the bit about the rings. That defo has connotations and stuff from Christianity if I am correct which is why I've avoided it. But the white dress is just a cultural thing now. Shukri Hashi does the white dress style with the hidi iyo daqan colours which works.

I don't think we should abandon our cultures but we cam defo fuse them together.

لا تفكر كثيرا
                        بل استغفر كثيرا

-------------------------------------------------------
                        The children need your prayers more than anyone else
                        -------------------------------------------------------
                        www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Comment

Wa alaykum assalam,

With many weddings these days we have strayed so far from the Sunnah of our beloved Prophet (pbuh).

Not exactly referring to the clothes or food, I think as long as it is conforming to the guidelines of Islam, it's okay. And there's nothing wrong with having fun, again in a halal way.

But the amount of mixing there is, and dancing, and singing, and basically a lack of haya. And unfortunately I'm referring to the desi way of weddings (no hate: I'm desi myself), when I look at how the weddings are conducted with so much extravagance, it shows off the worst of our culture. Allahu alam.

That aside, I've often seen the bride will wear a traditional red dress for the first day, and on the walimah she wears a traditional white dress. I think it's cute. :)
                          Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, Thabbit Qalbi Ala Deenik
                          Oh turner of the Hearts make my heart firm on Your Deen

Comment

Originally posted by noraina View Post
                            Wa alaykum assalam,

With many weddings these days we have strayed so far from the Sunnah of our beloved Prophet (pbuh).

Not exactly referring to the clothes or food, I think as long as it is conforming to the guidelines of Islam, it's okay. And there's nothing wrong with having fun, again in a halal way.

But the amount of mixing there is, and dancing, and singing, and basically a lack of haya. And unfortunately I'm referring to the desi way of weddings (no hate: I'm desi myself), when I look at how the weddings are conducted with so much extravagance, it shows off the worst of our culture. Allahu alam.

That aside, I've often seen the bride will wear a traditional red dress for the first day, and on the walimah she wears a traditional white dress. I think it's cute. :)
                            Completely agree. For me the worse part about it is that self proclaimed "practicing" Muslims and their families are getting involved in this mess.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Umar~ View Post
                              Completely agree. For me the worse part about it is that self proclaimed "practicing" Muslims and their families are getting involved in this mess.
                              I've seen sisters take their hijab off in a wedding even thought it is 'mixed' and there are camera men and everything...when I go to a wedding I just sit like I'm glued to my seat. I don't want to get involved in all of that.
                              Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, Thabbit Qalbi Ala Deenik
                              Oh turner of the Hearts make my heart firm on Your Deen

Comment

Working...
                              X