The lonely chair.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The lonely chair.

As I sit in this dark room, the darkness overwhelms. The silence is so loud , I need to cover my ears. The movie playing in front of me helps, the actors are my companions. I am almost reluctant to switch off the projector, because then my friends would go away. But my body has needs, I must eat, I must sleep, I must work, and I must continue my studies. So I go to my kitchen and prepare a meal..... such a delicious meal... BBQ chicken with mixed vegetables and a sour cream cheese potato. I made too much, guess I'm still thinking that someone will be eating with me. Regardless, its good practice for when that day does come, I'll be prepared, and she'll be happy. That day is coming.... right?

Eh, but life isn't all about marriage and being with someone. One must learn to be happy with oneSelf. When I recite Qur'an all of my troubles and worries go away. In the moment of the recitation, the world is perfect. Yet, the recitation must end, and as my tongue forms the last harakat of the ayah, the chair that sits empty beside me begins to whisper sweet nothings in my ear once again. I ignore the insidious whisper laying down in my bed to rest my brain after much recitation. The bed is also too large, perhaps I purchased it for the ability to roll over? In my own conscious, however, I know that I never move when I sleep. I have one too many pillow. Perhaps I could use it when the other one is in the wash, but I know why I bought it. Too bad.

Time to go to work,look at the legions of non-muslims walking down the street hand in hand, enjoying the presence of each other. Look at them eating together, discussing their day. They are not Allah's chosen, yet they have what the chosen do not have......a companion. It is easier for them.... no marriage, no meeting family, no commitment, sex without strings. Yet I know that they also have broken homes, children out of wedlock, cheating, and sexual diseases abundant. Knowing that I am not in any loss, because Allah is Protecting me from such madness. My knowledge does little to comfort me,though I know the realities. The human psyche is such that it feels emotion in the present, rather than the future. My logical mind knows the truth, but my heart is ignorant.

I don't remember when I bought that chair, it was some time ago. It is so comfy, and has a motorized back massage built into the lumbar portion. I dust it off every now and again, and apply some leather shine at least once every few months. I do not sit in it. It isn't mine. It must be maintained into perfect condition however. The house and this chair MUST be ready at all times, it is a mere fraction of what lies in my heart. How many times have I thought to move it to the basement, so that I am not reminded of the shadow that sits in its seat? Why do I leave it in plain view? Such a simple solution. Eh, perhaps I yet will. But the day that I move it from my vision is the day that I have paid for my wooden box to be lowered into the ground. That time isn't far off, though I am young.

The men shall think this pathetic. The women shall think this desperate and akin to a loser's ramblings. These brothers and sisters of mine, who take every opportunity to cut one another down. They have given no thought to the person that lies behind the screen, only seeking to elevate their own sorrow by chiding and humiliating others. These muslim companions of mine. So why do I ramble at all, and open myself to their ridicule? Perhaps it is because the angels do not return conversation in any tangible form that we can perceive.

But ya Allah, the first man was 70 cubits tall, and lived in heaven, yet even with all that he cried for companionship. How can us mere diluted blood line descendants of only 6 feet tall possibly endure what he could not? Yet you have already informed me that you shall never burden me with anything greater than I can bear. Word given, trust given, received.

Tonight, the chair goes. It must.

Re: The lonely chair.

:salams:

What are your criterias when searching for a wife and what do you expect from a 'wife'?

Real answers please.
    'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Wow. What a detailed account of the psyche of one lonely person looking for love and companionship. I agree with everything u said and could not have said it better myself. Its funny how all the material things in the world cant replace a spouse, companion, friend, lover, a human. Sometimes the best of muslims are tested in harsh ways where the disbelievers have it so easy it seems. But we must hang on to our faiths like people did before us when they were tested similarly. I don't know ur situation but surely it cant be that difficult to change ur environment and find what ur looking for. If you would like to share u can pm me or we can talk about how to change ur circumstances. Once again very well written and honest.

Comment

SubhanAllah so deep bro.

May Allah bless with a loving and caring spouse.

Comment

Wow awesome post!!!

It's a little melodramatic, though, but it's very smart. My favourite bit is this..

My knowledge does little to comfort me,though I know the realities. The human psyche is such that it feels emotion in the present, rather than the future. My logical mind knows the truth, but my heart is ignorant.

We cant fit in to some of their lifestyles, because it will mean giving up your islamic values. Its a silent tug-of-war for many among us.

It's also the type of monologue single mozlems have when they see young couples in a mall
          Last edited by nudgetheputri; 24-07-16, 04:39 AM.

Comment

It's natural to want a life-companion. Nothing 'desperate' about that, unless you're expressing it in strange ways.

"And We created you in pairs" - (Surah Naba', 8)

May Allāh bless all the sincere, righteous brothers and sisters with a spouse who will be the coolness of their eyes.
            Last edited by Ajabah; 24-07-16, 04:53 AM. Reason: Meh
            Let not the free disposal (and affluence) of the disbelievers throughout the land deceive you.

[Surah Aali-'Imraan: V. 196]

Comment

Loneliness is a real issue in our modern world where there is so much to read, so many places to go, so many goals to achieve... So many people to tweet and Facebook... Yet not one single person who really understands us.

You should consider joining book clubs etc. To meet new friends... Perhaps through them you can find a wife.

I'm lucky to have some good friends and family. But I understood very early on in life that we come alone and die alone. That doesn't mean, however, that we should live alone.

What about charities? Perhaps engage in helping others.

Comment

Marriage is over-rated. as soon as she gets too fat to fit in the chair next to you you will be writing out your next soliloquy...

Comment

patience never goes unrewarded
                  ...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
                  "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
                  :love: [Al-Imran 3:159] :love:

Comment

This is a very interesting post brother.

It is true that almost all of us are in need of companionship (in a permissible way), and when that need goes unfulfilled then life becomes unfulfilled.

May Allah make it easy for you and all of us.

Comment

Wow bro.

Comment

May Allah grant you a spouse who will be the coolness of your eyes ameen @OP.
                        82. Verily, when He intends a thing, His Command is, "be", and it is! 83. So glory to Him in Whose hands is the dominion of all things: and to Him will you be all brought back. Quran surah 36: Ya-sin

Comment

Very well written.

I could relate to pretty much the whole thing. :(

Comment

Not being married bothers me a lot. I'm going through a constant internal struggle against myself where at times I feel like I'm just clinging onto the edge of a cliff by my fingernails.

Comment

Originally posted by wisdom-17 View Post
                              Not being married bothers me a lot. I'm going through a constant internal struggle against myself where at times I feel like I'm just clinging onto the edge of a cliff by my fingernails.
                              May Allah make it easy for you brother. Just keep holding onto that cliff, and one day you will be back on firm ground, in sha Allah

Comment

Working...
                              X