White British Islam and Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White British Islam and Marriage

I was watching a video the other day where a revert made a very good point about interracial marriage.

They said that they thought white "indigenous" British reverts should not necessarily be so quick to 'abandon' their culture once they get married and take up the culture of the asian/african/other historically muslim family they married into.

The revert talked about the importance of establishing a white British Muslim identity so that Islam becomes part of the British landscape. You are not a visitor after all, this is your country.

The revert also raised the question: would it be considered emulating the kuffar if a white British revert went down on one knee when he asked his potential for marriage? Or if a revert Muslimah wore a white dress?

Just some points that I thought were interesting and I wondered what people's thoughts were.

Of course, this does not just relate to white British but also American, Australian, other European countries and so on. It also is not limited to white people but any revert who belongs to a historically non-Muslim country e.g. Jamaica etc.

Jazakallahu khayr in advance. And apologies if ppl find this boring, this is just the type of stuff that interests me :zzz:
    And when it is said to them, "Do not cause corruption on the earth," they say, "We are but reformers." (11) Unquestionably, it is they who are the corrupters, but they perceive [it] not. (12) - Surat al-Baqarah
    http://www.ummzakiyyah.com/polygamy_not_my_problem/

Re: White British Islam and Marriage

Going on one knee is unislamic if they aren't married.

About the white wedding dress most muslim brides wear white anyway so it's not a white culture thing

But i do agree they should be proud of their culture then again there's nothing wrong with enjoying clothes/food from other cultures.
    Last edited by muslima3; 10-05-16, 06:25 PM.

Comment

It's nationalist rubbish that needs to be thrown down the toilet

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Jarir View Post
        It's nationalist rubbish that needs to be thrown down the toilet
        Elaborate?
        And when it is said to them, "Do not cause corruption on the earth," they say, "We are but reformers." (11) Unquestionably, it is they who are the corrupters, but they perceive [it] not. (12) - Surat al-Baqarah

Comment

Link to video?

Comment

Originally posted by EenieMeanie View Post
            Elaborate?
            People need to forget their culture whether British or Arab and adopt a single culture the Islamic culture that brought this Deen to Glory as reviled to Muhammad :saw: and in the Quran. Not this other illusion of Nationalism and patriotism which are among the worst of feelings to have.

Comment

White British Islam and Marriage

There's nothing wrong with culture so long as it doesnt go against islam
              [SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][B][U][CENTER]Oh Allah, in your name, I die and live.[/CENTER][/U][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]
              [CENTER]:):lailah::lailah::lailah::lailah::)[/CENTER]

[B][CENTER]Ya Allah, Grant Me A Heart That Sees[/CENTER][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
                Link to video?
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlPvyWRYKfw

He mentions it quite briefly: Look at about the 2 minute mark and onwards.

Comment

People need to forget their culture whether British or Arab and adopt a single culture the Islamic culture that brought this Deen to Glory as reviled to Muhammad :saw: and in the Quran. Not this other illusion of Nationalism and patriotism which are among the worst of feelings to have.
                  I think you've misunderstood me. Watch the link I posted.

Comment

Akhi culture is not the same as nationalism. Go to pakistan and tell them not to wear shalwar kameez, not to eat biryani, not to speak Urdu, not to make whatever jokes are the norm there etc. Yes when culture contradicts Islam, culture is thrown out the window, but Islam doesn't require us to have one single monolithic culture and way to go about things. There is no basis for that. On the contrary the Sharia often takes into account the 'Urf of the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Akhūka View Post
                      Akhi culture is not the same as nationalism. Go to pakistan and tell them not to wear shalwar kameez, not to eat biryani, not to speak Urdu, not to make whatever jokes are the norm there etc. Yes when culture contradicts Islam, culture is thrown out the window, but Islam doesn't require us to have one single monolithic culture and way to go about things. There is no basis for that. On the contrary the Sharia often takes into account the 'Urf of the people.
                      Im not Pakistani and I enjoy biryani but it is because I don't bind cultural boundaries that divide us but rather should unite us Im even wanting to marry Desi and Im not Desi but because culture restricts this we must abolish it to unite this Ummah look at the Umayyad and Rashidun Khlifas and their glory uniting Al Hind and Andalus and Sheeshan to Ethiopia this is what we need not tons of smaller states.

Comment

Im not Pakistani and I enjoy biryani but it is because I don't bind cultural boundaries that divide us but rather should unite us Im even wanting to marry Desi and Im not Desi but because culture restricts this we must abolish it to unite this Ummah look at the Umayyad and Rashidun Khlifas and their glory uniting Al Hind and Andalus and Sheeshan to Ethiopia this is what we need not tons of smaller states.
                        I didn't say you were Pakistani, you misunderstood me. You are still confusing between culture and nationalism. Take the Muslims at that time as an example, do you honestly think that those from Andalus had the same culture as those from Ethiopia and Hind? Even today, within single countries, culture can differ from city to city. Even within a city it can differ from one side to the other.

Comment

I didn't say you were Pakistani, you misunderstood me. You are still confusing between culture and nationalism. Take the Muslims at that time as an example, do you honestly think that those from Andalus had the same culture as those from Ethiopia and Hind? Even today, within single countries, culture can differ from city to city. Even within a city it can differ from one side to the other.
                          I never said you said I was Pakistani I was making a point our cultures should unite instead of divide Im saying Im not Pakistani yet I like your food and I'd marry one where as most cultures look down on interracial relationships and because of Islam's message of unity we should have no culture but instead an Islamic identity alone.

Comment

I never said you said I was Pakistani I was making a point our cultures should unite instead of divide Im saying Im not Pakistani yet I like your food and I'd marry one where as most cultures look down on interracial relationships and because of Islam's message of unity we should have no culture but instead an Islamic identity alone.
                            Ok so what food should all the Muslims unite to decide to eat? Should the Muslims unite on finding satire or slapstick funny? Should the Muslims unite to drive on the left or the right side of the road? Should the Muslims unite on calling their wives "honey"or whatever the equivalent is in Bengali? Should the Muslims unite on kissing each cheek once, twice or not at all?

Yes looking down on interracial relationships is wrong, but this is separate to the issue. It isn't wrong however to be cautious of marrying a different culture due to compatibility. I'm not talking about a British Somali marrying a British Pakistani, they have very similar cultures, but a Somali in Somalia may find it difficult to marry a Pakistani in Pakistan.

Bringing this back to the topic of the thread, the problem comes when people confuse their culture with Islam. ie an Asian thinks that because they do things one way, then this is the Islamic way, and expect the revert to adopt Asian culture thinking they are accepting "Islamic culture".

Comment

Ok so what food should all the Muslims unite to decide to eat? Should the Muslims unite on finding satire or slapstick funny? Should the Muslims unite to drive on the left or the right side of the road? Should the Muslims unite on calling their wives "honey"or whatever the equivalent is in Bengali? Should the Muslims unite on kissing each cheek once, twice or not at all?

Yes looking down on interracial relationships is wrong, but this is separate to the issue. It isn't wrong however to be cautious of marrying a different culture due to compatibility. I'm not talking about a British Somali marrying a British Pakistani, they have very similar cultures, but a Somali in Somalia may find it difficult to marry a Pakistani in Pakistan.

Bringing this back to the topic of the thread, the problem comes when people confuse their culture with Islam. ie an Asian thinks that because they do things one way, then this is the Islamic way, and expect the revert to adopt Asian culture thinking they are accepting "Islamic culture".
                              I have a deep hatred of nationalism and patriotism is my point.

Comment

Working...
                              X