African American Muslims & Polygyny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• African American Muslims & Polygyny

I'm a documentary filmmaker and producer based out of Seattle. I'm looking to create a docu-series for television that features a black, muslim family that practices polygyny. It will explore day-to-day life as a family, faith and beliefs, and be a story in your own words.

What is it like to have more than one wife? What is it like to be a co-wife? What are the benefits? The challenges? What are the misconceptions people have?

The show "Sister Wives" has made white, mormon, polygamists the face of plural marriage, and has had great success. This could be a chance to tell a NEW story and get rid of some stereotypes about Islam and polygyny along the way.

If you and your family are interested in speaking with me further, feel free to send me a message.

Lmao
    “Have you seen he who has taken as his god his [own] desire, and Allah has sent him astray due to knowledge and has set a seal upon his hearing and his heart and put over his vision a veil? So who will guide him after Allah ? Then will you not be reminded? And they say, “There is not but our worldly life; we die and live, and nothing destroys us except time.” And they have of that no knowledge; they are only assuming.” Quran 45:23-24

Comment

Re: African American Muslims & Polygyny

It's a mostly UK based forum, there are some American reverts on here but don't know which of them are afro-American or in a polygamous marriage.
      FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeardman View Post
        It's a mostly UK based forum, there are some American reverts on here but don't know which of them are afro-American or in a polygamous marriage.
        May be Abu M?
        Not knowing what one doesn't know will lead to difficulty

Comment

how does the law stand in the US for them kind of marrages between muslims?

There are two kinds of pride, both good and bad. 'Good pride' represents our dignity and self-respect. 'Bad pride' is the deadly sin of superiority that reeks of conceit and arrogance.

Comment

[MENTION=36798]SILURES[/MENTION]
            “Have you seen he who has taken as his god his [own] desire, and Allah has sent him astray due to knowledge and has set a seal upon his hearing and his heart and put over his vision a veil? So who will guide him after Allah ? Then will you not be reminded? And they say, “There is not but our worldly life; we die and live, and nothing destroys us except time.” And they have of that no knowledge; they are only assuming.” Quran 45:23-24

Comment

Originally posted by SILURES View Post
              It is illegal in most states. So Muslims who are in such marriages tend to keep it on the down low. Aka not register it.

Comment

Originally posted by polydocumentary View Post
                I'm a documentary filmmaker and producer based out of Seattle. I'm looking to create a docu-series for television that features a black, muslim family that practices polygyny. It will explore day-to-day life as a family, faith and beliefs, and be a story in your own words.

What is it like to have more than one wife? What is it like to be a co-wife? What are the benefits? The challenges? What are the misconceptions people have?

The show "Sister Wives" has made white, mormon, polygamists the face of plural marriage, and has had great success. This could be a chance to tell a NEW story and get rid of some stereotypes about Islam and polygyny along the way.

If you and your family are interested in speaking with me further, feel free to send me a message.
                So let me get this straight... Your first post is asking our dear black brothers and sisters to come out and talk about the (moronically) illegal practice of polygamy?
                Am I reading that right? Did I miss something?
                “Ask forgiveness from your Lord. Indeed! He is Oft-Forgiving.” (71:10)

Comment

Originally posted by SILURES View Post
                  Originally posted by SofiaG View Post
                  So let me get this straight... Your first post is asking our dear black brothers and sisters to come out and talk about the (moronically) illegal practice of polygamy?
                  Am I reading that right? Did I miss something?
                  Having an Islamic nikah with more than one woman is not illegal, as the United States does not recognize them as actual marriage. This is what virtually all polygamous muslims in the United States do. However, legally marrying more than one person is bigamy, and is illegal.
                  وَمَا قَدَرُوا اللَّهَ حَقَّ قَدْرِهِ وَالْأَرْضُ جَمِيعًا قَبْضَتُهُ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ وَالسَّمَاوَاتُ مَطْوِيَّاتٌ بِيَمِينِهِ ۚ سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَىٰ عَمَّا يُشْرِكُونَ
                  They have not appraised Allah with true appraisal, while the earth entirely will be [within] His grip on the Day of Resurrection, and the heavens will be folded in His right hand. Exalted is He and high above what they associate with Him. (Az-Zumar: 67)

Comment

Originally posted by obaid_m View Post
                    [MENTION=36798]SILURES[/MENTION]
                    No the sister wives people got in to legal problems i think or something like that... im not even sure tho but i think you can only legally marry 1 and u have to marry the rest on the down low
                    يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Working...
                    X