Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much Islamic knowledge do men/women expect from a potential?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EenieMeanie View Post

People can have watched tv/movies in the past and then ceased watching them when they became more practising.
    People can have learnt who actors were from their peers at school.
    People can have discovered who actors were from reading a newspaper/magazine or watching the news.

There are many ways in which people in the West may have been exposed to celebrities. I am not sure what your comment adds or even what you're trying to say.
    This is true

One example from my own experience was this show, games of whatever and I found out about it through my colleagues lol I used to ask them what's the big deal about it because potentials on matrimony sites talked about how much they love it (major put off lmso eww like totally not my type, I would have let them off if it was DBZ ball ha ha *snorts). Not so surprising, but my colleagues told me that it's not the type of show I'd watch (I was a very boring person and they knew me quite well in that respect)
    So, then I asked my brother and he knew through other people and told me it's not for us folks.

There was also a programme on the BBC years ago about a girls madrasha who knew a lot about the pop culture, their reasoning was that it's good to know what is going on around you.
    I agree to some extent, this doesn't mean know the names of every member in a boy band, but to be aware of what challenges/fitnah the youth or muslims in general may face and then provide a solution to tackle it. If you don't know what kind of a problem you are dealing with how will you tackle it?

'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

• Salamu Alaikum

If she's practising, that's all that matters.

Comment

• My God! look at that list *faints* seriously, that is a lot of expectation 10 Juz!? ;o anyways everyone has their preference, wrong for me to judge. But yA' good luck finding all these in a person...

so lets look at my list. I am new to the forums so bear with me if i make some mistake. Bismillah.

- basic understanding of deen, important of her islamic identity, taqwa.
        - shyness(haya) good ikhlaaq (manners) well these are part of imaan pfff...i think thats pretty much it.. bonus if she is a good cook and doesnt nag' :-)
        Quran 2:155 And certainly, We shall test you with something of fear, hunger, loss of wealth, lives and fruits, but give glad tidings to As-Sabirin (the patient ones, etc.).

Comment

• Important thing is how much of this knowledge someone brings into own life. You can be the greatest scholar walking on the surface of earth , but if it is not seen in your life , its worth nothing.

Comment

• I cant really make a strict list, cause I am not as knowledgeable as what a majority of yall mentioned.

If she has a basic understanding of the deen, that's it.

Comment

• is knowing Arabic a must. I am a somali muslim American. growing up I never really learned to speak somali and during the brief periods of time whenever I did go to Islamic school, I mostly read from a English transliteration quran book. Since I am Somalian I have put learning the language of my people first before learning Arabic. I don't plan on getting married soon but since I live in a part of America with a small somali population I was gonna most likely broaden my search when it comes to finding a wife.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luffy1997 View Post
                is knowing Arabic a must. I am a somali muslim American. growing up I never really learned to speak somali and during the brief periods of time whenever I did go to Islamic school, I mostly read from a English transliteration quran book. Since I am Somalian I have put learning the language of my people first before learning Arabic. I don't plan on getting married soon but since I live in a part of America with a small somali population I was gonna most likely broaden my search when it comes to finding a wife.
                You should put arabic first and try and learn as much knowledge of islam as much as you can before u die
                which could be anyday from now

Comment

• If this list is really produced by the members of this forum who mostly live in the west, it goes to show how incredibly out of touch they are from their wider society, even as a practising person I am absolutely gob smacked as I was reading this.

You will be lucky to find 1/10 of this in our females in the west, and 4/10 of this in our male's, you people are absolutely crazy to come up with such a list, you have to be very detached from reality to even post such a thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luffy1997 View Post
                    is knowing Arabic a must. I am a somali muslim American. growing up I never really learned to speak somali and during the brief periods of time whenever I did go to Islamic school, I mostly read from a English transliteration quran book. Since I am Somalian I have put learning the language of my people first before learning Arabic. I don't plan on getting married soon but since I live in a part of America with a small somali population I was gonna most likely broaden my search when it comes to finding a wife.
                    Why does it matter whether it's a must or not when it's one of the best things you can do in this dunya? Ask yourself, how many not-so-beneficial things do you do which are not a 'must'?
                    You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

• Originally posted by Creamcake View Post
                      Re: How much Islamic knowledge do men/women expect from a potential?

Alhamdulillah it's good to hear peeps requirements are like this.
                      As everyone wants someone who is a pious Muslim, of course that's the most important trait in a spouse
                      if this reflects real life though, some of us are going to struggle getting married, as not all of us are Alimah's or understand Arabic or have memorised the Qur'an, yet. But understandably, everyone has different preferences, and this is in regards to religious knowledge.

Anyway, i'd want my potential to have more religious knowledge than me preferably. i say this because there is a lot to learn, and sometimes i feel like i really only know the basics. And i'd love for my spouse to teach me, insha ' allah. chances are, most ppl do know more than me anyway.
                      At the same time, that's not a must, if i married a pious muslim who's not like super knowledgeable, but like me, wants to learn more and grow insha ' allah, then we'd just learn Islamic knowledge together. so the minimum for me would be the basics really, aslong as pious muslim who is eager to learn more n good character. that's important, as knowing everything doesn't necessitate good behaviour.

exactly what this bro has said,except that I dont even know how to read arabic let alone understand,and i dont think i have enough brain power to ever memorise the Quran
                      sorry for the quote cake didnt want to copy paste your own msg as mine
                      first its angels,then mankind,then jinn,then gog-magog,then shaytan,the its me,the worst of creation

Comment

• lol ^ 'what this bro has said' I'm a sister, but yeah that's totally fine in regards to quoting etc.
                        And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
                        [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

• The OP's list is a combined list of suggestions from different member, not one list of what is expected from a single potential.

Thought it'd be clear given she explained it in big red letters.

Comment

• Mujtahida

Comment

• I think I will require someone who is very knowledgeable. Most of the things on that list seem quite reasonable, or at least they are something that I would like in a spouse. I am always willing to learn more but its always easier when you have someone around you to help you out and encourage you to become a better Muslim. It's probably not easy to find someone like that, but I would prefer it.

Comment

Working...
                              X