Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much Islamic knowledge do men/women expect from a potential?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much Islamic knowledge do men/women expect from a potential?

Asalaamu aleykum,

I know we are supposed to seek knowledge for the sake of Allah but what with 'deen' being one of the four attributes to look for in a spouse, I am curious as to what exactly that entails. I am not asking what you would like in a spouse because of course we all want the best, I mean what is the minimum?

P.S. I promise I will seek knowledge and be better as a Muslim regardless - I am just curious - Jazakallahu khayr in advance!:up:

Combined List of Expectations FROM UMMAH MEMBERS THAT CONTRIBUTED BELOW

- At least 10 Juz Quran memorized
    - Good understanding of Arabic
    - Mujtahid Mutlaq (although from a quick conversation with Sheikh Google - this is a person of the same rank as the 4 Imams and none exist today)
    - Beautiful Tilawaat
    - Good understanding of different aspects of aqeedah
    - Basic knowledge of Fiqh for everyday actions e.g. salah, wudhu etc.
    - Basic knowledge of Tajweed
    - A dislike of Innovation and understanding of the evils of Bidah
    - Good understanding of Hijab
    - Understands appropriate conduct with non-Mahrams
    - Reads Tafsir of the Quran
    - Does 5 Pillars of Islam
    - Knowledge of major and minor common sins
    - Knowledge of the Fiqh of Marriage
    - Watches or attends Islamic Lectures

^ These are not my own requirements, this is the combined list of the suggestions Ummah members posted below. If you come up with an expectation that is not on the list, inshaAllah, share it and I will add it to the list above.
    Last edited by EenieMeanie; 11-10-15, 07:01 PM. Reason: Created a list so potentials have a checklist lol
    And when it is said to them, "Do not cause corruption on the earth," they say, "We are but reformers." (11) Unquestionably, it is they who are the corrupters, but they perceive [it] not. (12) - Surat al-Baqarah
    http://www.ummzakiyyah.com/polygamy_not_my_problem/

Re: How much Islamic knowledge do men/women expect from a potential?

Salaam

Well for me my potentials have/had to be better than me in the deen; memorized more ,are very practicing ,etc n

The minimum for me is a kebab cooking quran memorizing niqabi with Allah's permission!
    The Prophet (saw) advised to: “Take benefit of five before five: Your youth before your old age, your health before your sickness, your wealth before your poverty, your free time before you are preoccupied, and your life before your death
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgE...kS-Qi3nf3tcvPw

Comment

Originally posted by Ibn Taleb View Post
      Salaam

Well for me my potentials have/had to be better than me in the deen; memorized more ,are very practicing ,etc n

The minimum for me is a kebab cooking quran memorizing niqabi with Allah's permission!
      Quran memorizing or quran memorized?
      And when it is said to them, "Do not cause corruption on the earth," they say, "We are but reformers." (11) Unquestionably, it is they who are the corrupters, but they perceive [it] not. (12) - Surat al-Baqarah

Comment

everyone is different
        for moi
        Quran memorised
        well versed in Arabic
        niqabi

Comment

Originally posted by AhlulQuran88 View Post
          everyone is different
          for moi
          Quran memorised
          well versed in Arabic
          niqabi
          Are u married?
          "Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes"

Comment

If he ain't a scholar there's no need to holla :rotfl:
            And strive because the sweetness of life lies in the struggle - Imam al-Shafi'i

Comment

Originally posted by RashidD View Post
              Are u married?
              Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Strive View Post
                If he ain't a scholar there's no need to holla :rotfl:
                :rofl1: That made me giggle, sis!

Comment

Originally posted by EenieMeanie View Post
                  Quran memorizing or quran memorized?
                  salaam

at least 10 juz and good at at Arabic grammar cause i am horrible at Nahuw if Allah swt grants me kids. O and id like to add that she has to enjoy reading and likes the deen and not just because it was how she was raised cause i have encountered both types. Yes i am picky .
                  The Prophet (saw) advised to: “Take benefit of five before five: Your youth before your old age, your health before your sickness, your wealth before your poverty, your free time before you are preoccupied, and your life before your death
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgE...kS-Qi3nf3tcvPw

Comment

Originally posted by Ibn Taleb View Post
                    salaam

at least 10 juz and good at at Arabic grammar cause i am horrible at Nahuw if Allah swt grants me kids. O and id like to add that she has to enjoy reading and likes the deen and not just because it was how she was raised cause i have encountered both types. Yes i am picky .
                    Asalaamu aleykum,

Yes, but you are picky in matters of deen which is probably the best thing to be picky at tbf. Jazakallahu khayr for the response.

Comment

a mujtahid mutlaq
                      You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkdeutscher View Post
                        a mujtahid mutlaq
                        Kindly translate.

Comment

Alhamdulillah it's good to hear peeps requirements are like this.
                          As everyone wants someone who is a pious Muslim, of course that's the most important trait in a spouse
                          if this reflects real life though, some of us are going to struggle getting married, as not all of us are Alimah's or understand Arabic or have memorised the Qur'an, yet. But understandably, everyone has different preferences, and this is in regards to religious knowledge.

Anyway, i'd want my potential to have more religious knowledge than me preferably. i say this because there is a lot to learn, and sometimes i feel like i really only know the basics. And i'd love for my spouse to teach me, insha ' allah. chances are, most ppl do know more than me anyway.
                          At the same time, that's not a must, if i married a pious muslim who's not like super knowledgeable, but like me, wants to learn more and grow insha ' allah, then we'd just learn Islamic knowledge together. so the minimum for me would be the basics really, aslong as pious muslim who is eager to learn more n good character. that's important, as knowing everything doesn't necessitate good behaviour.
                          And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
                          [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

How much Islamic knowledge do men/women expect from a potential?

:wswrwb: someone that adheres to the sunnah of the prophet :saw:

Knowledgable in that he can help me and my kids attain jannah.
                            إقراء القران فإنه يأتي يوم القيامة شفيعا لأصحابه

Comment

Originally posted by iRepIslam View Post
                              :wswrwb: someone that adheres to the sunnah of the prophet :saw:

Knowledgable in that he can help me and my kids attain jannah.
                              Asalaamu aleykum,

Could you be more specific?

Comment

Working...
                              X