Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does my father have to be present during my nikkah?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does my father have to be present during my nikkah?

My father has given his full consent to me getting married.

But I would like to know:

He cannot be there during the nikkah as he lives in Africa and does not wish to travel to the uk.

Other info:
    My mother is here as well as my older and younger sister.

I have one older brother (physically disabled) confined to a wheelchair. Living here in the uk.

He is only paralysed from the waist down.
    Understands and has no mentally disability.

Re: Does my father have to be present during my nikkah?

He can appoint a wakeel (agent) to do the nikah, as I read in books of fiqh. However, I don't know how correct that is. I would say, make sure you have a male mahram wali, such as adult brother or uncle. The important thing is to have a wali present.

Comment

Assalamulakum,

The imam who will officiate your marriage would need to be assured of your father's consent. So you might need to handle that. Except for that if he can't come but has given consent then no problem

Comment

Originally posted by umm salabil View Post
        He can appoint a wakeel (agent) to do the nikah, as I read in books of fiqh. However, I don't know how correct that is. I would say, make sure you have a male mahram wali, such as adult brother or uncle. The important thing is to have a wali present.
        it's legit, I've acted in this regard myself at the masjid I attend when a sister from Hungary could not get her father there, so he needed to appoint someone as his wakeel for the nikkah ceremony. it's not necessary for it to be a paternal blood relation.
        FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeardman View Post
          it's legit, I've acted in this regard myself at the masjid I attend when a sister from Hungary could not get her father there, so he needed to appoint someone as his wakeel for the nikkah ceremony. it's not necessary for it to be a paternal blood relation.
          Does the wakeel need to meet your father in person? I think so.

Comment

Originally posted by SamiyaAli87 View Post

He cannot be there during the nikkah as he lives in Africa and does not wish to travel to the uk.

Other info:
            My mother is here as well as my older and younger sister.

I have one older brother (physically disabled) confined to a wheelchair. Living here in the uk.

He is only paralysed from the waist down.
            Understands and has no mentally disability.
            You need your father's consent. I've seen nikkah with father's consent but not presence.
            Ask a scholar if you're in doubt.

May Allah put barakah in your nikah: )
            *"None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself."* [Al-Bukhari & Muslim]
            "Mindless are those who only jump when told to jump, cry when told to cry, and laugh when told to laugh. Indeed, they are but sheep." TheStrivingUmmi

Comment

Originally posted by umm salabil View Post
              Does the wakeel need to meet your father in person? I think so.
              as long as it is established he is who he says he is, over the phone or skype then this is sufficient according to what I understand.
              FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Why does he not want to travel to the uk

Comment

Originally posted by fish_launcher
                  No, he doesn't. Any pious person can perform nikah.
                  Though I personally doubt the need of a Wali. There's a hadith saying that nikah is invalid without one, but I doubt the authenticity of it. After all, making it invalid makes it a HUGE DEAL, and if it was such a big deal Allah would have included it in the Quran.

{We have not neglected anything in the Book.} (Al-Anaam 6:38)

...And He didn't. So no.

Nikah mubarak btw :up:
                  ignore this guy, he has elements of quranism in him, if any 'pious' person could perform nikah, why did the prophet :saw: mandate a wali? For nothing?

there are several authentic ahadith mandating a wali.
                  You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Originally posted by SamiyaAli87 View Post

No, he doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by fish_launcher
                      No, he doesn't. Any pious person can perform nikah.
                      Though I personally doubt the need of a Wali. There's a hadith saying that nikah is invalid without one, but I doubt the authenticity of it. After all, making it invalid makes it a HUGE DEAL, and if it was such a big deal Allah would have included it in the Quran.

{We have not neglected anything in the Book.} (Al-Anaam 6:38)

...And He didn't. So no.

Nikah mubarak btw :up:
                      Any pious person can, but a girl needs the permission of the custodian of her family.

Comment

You need the presense of a wali.
                        https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/lo...-qur-an-courseI am just a simple nomad.

Ephemeral reader

Comment

Originally posted by Kiro View Post
                          You need the presense of a wali.
                          Presence is not necessary. Why would it be?
                          She needs permission of his father only, which she has

Comment

Originally posted by hooshi View Post
                            Presence is not necessary. Why would it be?
                            She needs permission of his father only, which she has
                            I will research this.

But yes. You just need witnesses. Thanks for correcting me.
                            https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/lo...-qur-an-courseI am just a simple nomad.

Ephemeral reader

Comment

Originally posted by Kiro View Post
                              I will research this.

But yes. You just need witnesses. Thanks for correcting me.
                              No problem

Comment

Working...
                              X