• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fragile
    replied
    Re: Forced Marriage - Choice?

Originally posted by Aloo View Post
    i was forced into marriage at the age of 3. my parents didn't approve of my western lifestyle and thought that i was losing my culture. i was hitting the bottle (of milk) pretty hard and all i did was eat, sleep, and poop all day...not in any particular order. i was a reckless rebel that had to be dealt with. the easiest way to deal with the problem was to force me to marry a 23 year old woman. it was a horrible and wonderful experience at the same time!

wait, maybe it was a dream or maybe i just made that up? hope it doesn't skew your reseach results. anyhoo, you can quote me in your thesis. that's A-l-o-o, with two O's. good luck!
    :rofl1:

Leave a comment:

• ssh
    replied

Originally posted by zi-zizou View Post
    Originally posted by ssh View Post
    ....and I agree with you on that point 'without giving personal info' but not everyone has the same smarts as you do. Some here are extremely naive and would answer with way too much info while you're asleep, while the mods are asleep, while the forum is quiet, who knows. Just because you know not to give certain info, doesn't convince me not to post a heads up for everyone to read. Like I said, if It turns out I was wrong, I would apologise.

Mods can't arbitrarily ban people for saying they are collecting data or research as they have done nothing 'wrong' per se but all we are saying is, it seems fishy and could be a journo troll. If it was me....and I wanted to do research for real, I'd contact the forum admin and provide my ID and permission to post so that sajid could authenticate the person at university.
    True true...
    Here, I fixed it for you!

#toofunny

Leave a comment:

• zi-zizou
    replied

Originally posted by ssh View Post
    ....and I agree with you on that point 'without giving personal info' but not everyone has the same smarts as you do. Some here are extremely naive and would answer with way too much info while you're asleep, while the mods are asleep, while the forum is quiet, who knows. Just because you know not to give certain info, doesn't convince me not to post a heads up for everyone to read. Like I said, if It turns out I was wrong, I would apologise.

Mods can't arbitrarily ban people for saying they are collecting data or research as they have done nothing 'wrong' per se but all we are saying is, it seems fishy and could be a journo troll. If it was me....and I wanted to do research for real, I'd contact the forum admin and provide my ID and permission to post so that sajid could authenticate the person at university.
    True, true.

Leave a comment:

• .Singaporean
    replied

i was forced into marriage at the age of 3. my parents didn't approve of my western lifestyle and thought that i was losing my culture. i was hitting the bottle (of milk) pretty hard and all i did was eat, sleep, and poop all day...not in any particular order. i was a reckless rebel that had to be dealt with. the easiest way to deal with the problem was to force me to marry a 23 year old woman. it was a horrible and wonderful experience at the same time!

wait, maybe it was a dream or maybe i just made that up? hope it doesn't skew your reseach results. anyhoo, you can quote me in your thesis. that's A-l-o-o, with two O's. good luck!
    You got addicted to milk? Lol......pathetic. you should try soda!

Leave a comment:

• happylover2
    replied

Aloo liked milk so he was forced to marry a 23 old woman! Cruelty in the world won't end. What a speech it would be!!

Leave a comment:

• happylover2
    replied

Originally posted by studentof_islam View Post
    Idoesn't change what I wrote/think about it
    (and you shouldn't call her sister, she is hindu...)
    Okay, how do you know she's a hindu? Also, we can't call hindu sisters, sisters??

Leave a comment:

• ssh
    replied

Actually Aloo is making a serious point.

Even if people told their accounts, it does nothing for the research because the OP cannot authenticate the info as real or not, so it would render the research invalid.

Leave a comment:

• Aloo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• studentof_islam
    replied

Originally posted by happylover2 View Post
    I don't understand, how do you know she has ONLY come to this forum? If you mean why she has come to a Muslim forum at all, even if she has gone to other forums, then there are obviously some people here who have been or are being in forced marriages.
    Idoesn't change what I wrote/think about it
    (and you shouldn't call her sister, she is hindu...)

Leave a comment:

• happylover2
    replied

Originally posted by studentof_islam View Post
    No. she didn't say anything bad. But why would she come to a muslim website for this? Even if she doesn't say it - she sure doen't seem to have ... a very positive view about muslims. If a non-muslim comes to this site to learn more about islam - welcome. but if they just want to verify the prejudices and make muslims look bad... no thanks!

ps: I don't know anyone who was forced to marry someone and even if I did, I wouldn't tell you, so keep painting your picture of the 'bad muslims'.
    I don't understand, how do you know she has ONLY come to this forum? If you mean why she has come to a Muslim forum at all, even if she has gone to other forums, then there are obviously some people here who have been or are being in forced marriages.

Leave a comment:

• happylover2
    replied

Originally posted by **Sister** View Post
    What's all this fuss people, I don't get it?

Perhaps, I might be so naive, however what did OP do wrong?

She wasn't rude at all and never said anything bad about Muslims. In fact, she wants to know how forced marriage have impacted on a person and the role of culture in that. I've read numerous times before here on UF, that a lot of people seem to be forced into marriage, so probably she just decided it would be a good start to get information from a forum because there's so many different types of people with different experiences.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...nto-a-Marriage
    http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...-needed-please

There's more threads on people who have came for help due to forced marriages, obviously this has got nothing to do with Islam, but I don't get why people are reacting harshly to the OP?

Am I missing something?
    Those two threads were asking for help, not research.

I don't agree with a lot of people here being rude, thinking she has an ulterior motive or something, can't really say about that. That is why in my own reply I tried not to offend the sister. Should think positively rather.
    However, I can understand why people feel a bit bad. For me, not somebody who was in forced marriage but still, the line ''Any information would really help my research'', and that also after asking rather asking it like an interview, didn't work well. You can say it's not rude, but rather insensitive, which in turn as being a counseling psychologist, she shouldn't have been. So, she probably lied about that, was insensitive. Again, can't be sure so shouldn't be rude but there's a reason for being offended.

Leave a comment:

• .Hajar.
    replied

Originally posted by Fragile View Post
    It's common sense.
    Not really..but, okay

Yes
    Same here

Leave a comment:

• ssh
    replied

It all comes down to what you say. I would not expect someone to come out and give names and addresses. If I came here and said I know someone who was forced to marry someone against there will and they told me x, y, z without divulging personal information who exactly would get incriminated?

I've read posts where someone says there husband is beating them black and blue, no one here is telling that person to remain quiet otherwise they could incriminate their husband.

If OP is doing something untoward then the mods should close the thread and issue a ban.

I have just described an apple or a pear?

Leave a comment:

• studentof_islam
    replied

No. she didn't say anything bad. But why would she come to a muslim website for this? Even if she doesn't say it - she sure doen't seem to have ... a very positive view about muslims. If a non-muslim comes to this site to learn more about islam - welcome. but if they just want to verify the prejudices and make muslims look bad... no thanks!

ps: I don't know anyone who was forced to marry someone and even if I did, I wouldn't tell you, so keep painting your picture of the 'bad muslims'.
    Last edited by studentof_islam; 04-10-15, 09:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• **Sister**
    replied

What's all this fuss people, I don't get it?

Perhaps, I might be so naive, however what did OP do wrong?

She wasn't rude at all and never said anything bad about Muslims. In fact, she wants to know how forced marriage have impacted on a person and the role of culture in that. I've read numerous times before here on UF, that a lot of people seem to be forced into marriage, so probably she just decided it would be a good start to get information from a forum because there's so many different types of people with different experiences.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...nto-a-Marriage
    http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...-needed-please

There's more threads on people who have came for help due to forced marriages, obviously this has got nothing to do with Islam, but I dont get why people are reacting harshly to the OP?

Am I missing something?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X