Forced Marriage - Choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced Marriage - Choice?

Hey all I am doing some research looking at premarital experiences of forced marriages. As this is a current topic that can have a lot of psychological impact on a person, I thought it may be helpful to understand the experience from people who have been through it. I am training as a Counselling Psychologist and I thought it would be helpful to understand what are people's experiences to help me understand what it might be like.

What was the experience like for you? What choice did you have? What pressure (if any) were you experiencing? How does culture play a part in this?

Any information would really help my research. Thank you. D

Re: Forced Marriage - Choice?

Originally posted by DTherapy View Post
    Hey all I am doing some research looking at premarital experiences of forced marriages. As this is a current topic that can have a lot of psychological impact on a person, I thought it may be helpful to understand the experience from people who have been through it. I am training as a Counselling Psychologist and I thought it would be helpful to understand what are people's experiences to help me understand what it might be like.

What was the experience like for you? What choice did you have? What pressure (if any) were you experiencing? How does culture play a part in this?

hey I don't have anything to contribute to this, was just wondering the route that you took to become a counselling psychologist? sounds fascinating.
    And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
    [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

Sister, first of all I agree [MENTION=131974]Creamcake[/MENTION], Counseling Psychologist is a pretty interesting job.
      I am not experienced in forced marriages either, but I am going to be honest, I am not sure if I was I would have been okay with this question. I mean, I can understand you not having any bad intention or meaning to offend, and I hope you know I don't mean to offend either but asking about an experience of forced marriages, which you yourself say can have a big impact on a person for research, I wouldn't have been okay with that, or just asking for curiosity or something. Maybe it can be understood by you, but mostly it doesn't feel good to think somebody is wanting to do research on our experience. Maybe I am wrong in this case, and I am not even saying for all, I have had similar cases where the question was posed too casually and it can be hurtful, really. Not meaning to offend sister, I hope I didn't.

Comment

So you come here assuming that the members here are part of forces marriages, presumably because we are Muslims?

Why don't you get lost?
        How dare they challenge me with their primitive skills? They're just as good as dead

Comment

Originally posted by Talwaar View Post
          So you come here assuming that the members here are part of forces marriages, presumably because we are Muslims?

Why don't you get lost?
          ‎”Verily amongst the people are those who are keys to good ‎and locks to evil. And amongst the people are those who ‎are keys to evil and locks to good. So glad tidings for the ‎one whom Allah has placed the keys of good upon his hands and woe be to the one ‎whom Allah has placed the keys of evil at his disposal.” - Prophet Muhammad :saw:

Comment

Originally posted by Talwaar View Post

Why don't you get lost?
            In the nicest possible way, this.

Comment

You're barking up the wrong tree.

You want people who were forced into marriages, go to a womens refuge centre.

Comment

yeah I agree with the comments above, how did you end up on here when you want to know about forced marriages...
                this is ummah forum, an online Muslim community, and islamically, forced marriage is forbidden and impermissible.
                Last edited by Creamcake; 04-10-15, 06:43 PM.
                And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”

Comment

Journo Troll

#rollseyes

Comment

So no one here has come across anyone who has experience of a forced marriage directly or indirectly? pull the other one.

Comment

Originally posted by zi-zizou View Post
                      So no one here has come across anyone who has experience of a forced marriage directly or indirectly? pull the other one.
                      Why would they discuss such personal matters with a journo even if they did?

Comment

Pay me some money and I'll be a "participant". Most good universities offer money for this kind of work. Though I'm not married (especially not a forced marriage), I am a good method actor. I imagine I would be able to share my experiences and insights very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Creamcake View Post
                          yeah I agree with the comments above, how did you end up on here when you want to know about forced marriages...
                          this is ummah forum, an online Muslim community, and islamically, forced marriage is forbidden and impermissible.
                          That is kind odd, you didn't say anything first to her.

Comment

Originally posted by ssh View Post
                            Why would they discuss such personal matters with a journo even if they did?
                            People come here and say all sorts of things.

Comment

Originally posted by happylover2 View Post
                              That is kind odd, you didn't say anything first to her.
                              I know... I didn't really realise it was wrong to ask at first, I just thought she was asking and it was okay, maybe she is just asking in loads of places, idk but then I saw other peeps comments n felt there was an ulterior motive behind it. but I don't know..

Comment

Working...
                              X