Family Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree

I don't quite understand something, sorry if I am being silly. I'm quite confused.

So Ali ibn abi talib was the cousin of the Prophet saw and Ali married the Prophet's daughter. How is this permissible? Because you married your niece. I tried looking it up but I get confused.

:jkk: and thank you for explaining.
    Last edited by Kiro; 17-02-15, 05:17 PM.
    https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/lo...-qur-an-courseI am just a simple nomad.

Ephemeral reader

Re: Family Tree

Your niece is the daughter of your brother or sister, not your cousins daughter.
    Abûd-Dardâ (radhiya Allâhu ´anh) said:
    The one who advises his brother in secret has beautified him and the one who advises his brother openly has uglified him.
    (al-Amr bil-Ma´rûf wan-Nahî ´an-il-Munkar, p. 39, by Imâm Abu Bakr al-Khallâl)
    instagram

Comment

Family Tree

Kiro in normal cultures the cousin's daughter/son isn't your niece or nephew. I'm not sure what they are.. Just ghayr mahrams once they reach the age above maturity.

However in bengali culture they class the cousins daughter/son as their niece/nephew. They're still ghayr mahrams though.. But they call them niece/nephew.

So that doesn't matter in islam.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys.
      إقراء القران فإنه يأتي يوم القيامة شفيعا لأصحابه

Comment

Originally posted by iRepIslam View Post
        Kiro in normal cultures the cousin's daughter/son isn't your niece or nephew. I'm not sure what they are.. Just ghayr mahrams once they reach the age above maturity.

However in bengali culture they class the cousins daughter/son as their niece/nephew. They're still ghayr mahrams though.. But they call them niece/nephew.

So that doesn't matter in islam.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys.
        Ohh. I think I get it now.

Ephemeral reader

Comment

Family Tree

Objectively speaking, what is the relationship between those from other cultures with their cousin's daughter/son. What are they to you? Not your niece/nephew right? So what?

:jkk:

Comment

they call cousins' children nieces and nephews? that's confusing..

Originally posted by iRepIslam View Post
            Objectively speaking, what is the relationship between those from other cultures with their cousin's daughter/son. What are they to you? Not your niece/nephew right? So what?

:jkk:
            in America, we call them second cousins if they are our cousins' children and third cousins if they are our cousins' children's children, etc so basically, they are still cousins

none of that really matters though since they are all ghayr mahram
            If Allah & his Messenger :saw: ordered us to breathe in a certain way, we would say: "سَمِعْنَا وَأَطَعْنَا We hear & We obey"
            “Whoever turns away from my Sunnah has nothing to do with me.” (al-Bukhaari)

Comment

Originally posted by Bint Radical View Post

in America, we call them second cousins if they are our cousins' children and third cousins if they are our cousins' children's children, etc so basically, they are still cousins

What is Ghayr?

Ephemeral reader

Comment

Originally posted by Kiro View Post
                What is Ghayr?
                'except' or in this case 'non'

in arabic, they say ghayr mahram which translates to except mahram (sorta) and we say it as non mahram
                If Allah & his Messenger :saw: ordered us to breathe in a certain way, we would say: "سَمِعْنَا وَأَطَعْنَا We hear & We obey"
                “Whoever turns away from my Sunnah has nothing to do with me.” (al-Bukhaari)

Comment

Originally posted by Bint Radical View Post

Wow that's confusing lool

Comment

If you can marry your cousin, why can't you marry your cousin's daughter?

Comment

Family Tree

You can ^

It's just that in the culture that were from cousin's daughter/son is our niece/nephew not cousin.

Still ghayr mahram.

Comment

Working...
                      X