Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the brothers

asalamu alaykum

the question is: would you propose to the daughter or granddaughter of your local imam or shaykh? especially if the imam/shaykh is well known throughout the country, and possibly even beyond

something that I have noticed is that some brothers will indicate their interest in a sister but when they find out her father is (for example) the imam of the masjid then they suddenly back down. I don't really understand it.

jazakallahu khairan

Re: Question for the brothers

I would be confident enough to. However I don't really fit the criteria they would want tbh so doubt I would.

If I fit the criteria however, and I felt there was a potential there. Yes.
    I write novels for posts. Beware. :mujahida:

Ummah Forum seems pretty black and white. Was thinking of offering Skittles as Dawah to introduce a rainbow.

Comment

I could not. She deserves someone as knowledgeable as her father or close to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashamed View Post
        asalamu alaykum

the question is: would you propose to the daughter or granddaughter of your local imam or shaykh? especially if the imam/shaykh is well known throughout the country, and possibly even beyond

something that I have noticed is that some brothers will indicate their interest in a sister but when they find out her father is (for example) the imam of the masjid then they suddenly back down. I don't really understand it.

jazakallahu khairan
        wa alaykumus salaam,

could be they are shy, thinking the sister will be knowledgeqable or that the father will want someone better than them for their daughter.

or could be they are feigning piety and know an imam or sheikh will catch them out so go looking for easier fish to catch.

for myself, if i was looking, sure why not.
        FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

If her father didn't mind then why not. I'd be glad to have a wife from a religious family.
          I'm on a strict time management regiment and have to limit my time online. Therefore I have to reply selectively. Please don't be offended if I ignore your questions. :jkk:

Comment

Does this happen ? I am surprised .

Comment

No, won't even bother trying, the father would expect too much from me.
              unconditional love for all of mankind.

Comment

Originally posted by shann View Post
                No, won't even bother trying, the father would expect too much from me.
                How do you know that?

Good imams and sheikhs are much more understanding and thoughtful people and in my experience and prefer people who are those who act on their knowledge, even if it's only a little, rather than those who just sit and memorize but never act upon their knowledge. I cannot imagine it would be any different if they were looking for a husband for a female in their family.
                FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by Outreach4Islam View Post
                  How do you know that?

Good imams and sheikhs are much more understanding and thoughtful people and in my experience and prefer people who are those who act on their knowledge, even if it's only a little, rather than those who just sit and memorize but never act upon their knowledge. I cannot imagine it would be any different if they were looking for a husband for a female in their family.
                  Don't think most imaams will let their daughter's marry a brother who isn't very religious, like me for example. I mean I wouldn't constitute myself as religious, I do pray my 5 times salat, and do my best to avoid sins. But most imaam's would expect a brother with a beard, who has much more knowledge of Islam. Someone who comes to the masjid often and would completely treat their daughter's islamically. I'm just not that kind of person and can't live by those standards, that's just me personally though.
                  unconditional love for all of mankind.

Comment

The kind of brother who would propose to the daughter of the Imam, even if he is Ibn Taymiyah, usually will have a good relationship with the Imam himself, because he would discuss stuff with him, ask him questions and share different point of views so it will be easy for him to propose if he knows about her. The other thing is most religious guys would indicate to the imam at one point that they are looking to get married. From all the Masajid that I went to in the U.S. a good Imam will always have good relationship with the Masjid's young men, always. Al7amdo lilah.
                    Sorry I dont carry a conversation nor an argument with a sister. I just put my point of view in general for everybody and it is up to you to take it or leave it.

Comment

Originally posted by shann View Post
                      Don't think most imaams will let their daughter's marry a brother who isn't very religious, like me for example. I mean I wouldn't constitute myself as religious, I do pray my 5 times salat, and do my best to avoid sins. But most imaam's would expect a brother with a beard, who has much more knowledge of Islam. Someone who comes to the masjid often and would completely treat their daughter's islamically. I'm just not that kind of person and can't live by those standards, that's just me personally though.
                      ok see your point.

Comment

Yeah why not no harm in trying.. whats the worst that could happen :up:

Comment

No harm in trying if one is interested ....

:jkk:

Every Saint has a Past ...

Every Sinner has a Future ...

Comment

Working...
                          X