The rising cost of living and financial responsibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The rising cost of living and financial responsibility

I am totally against men ever being lazy, slobs or depending on hand outs from welfare (unfortunately there are many Muslims who are)

Yet at the same time even being a hard working individual making descent wages, it is becoming increasingly difficult to survive and for a man to be the sole provider.

Some people opt for government housing (many of these neighborhoods are poor choices for children), there are waiting lists, etc.... It's also not 'free' unless you are outright broke. At least here in Canada. If you are making good wages, it may end up as much as regular rent.

The rent has risen dramatically. it's literally doubled almost trippled in some cases in the last 15 years. The income for most people hasn't inflated alongside it. Jobs that were 50-60k then are still 50-60k more or less. The cost of food in just the last ten years in most cases doubled or tripped for most products. Meat especially.

Being the sole provider has become more than just a responsibility but an outright burden. If you're making Sixty thousand a year, it sounds like good money.. but really isn't enough anymore.

Rent now in the Toronto area is roughly 1200 per month for a one bedroom! That's rent alone. Prices for gas recently dropped dramatically (50 cents cheaper thats alot hasnt been like this since 09) but everything else remains very expensive.

To top that off monthly rent is a complete waste, money going paycheque to paycheque into oblivious while just surviving. Makes it feel almost futile to work when some people get government housing.

Houses are not that much more per month (mortgage) yet that in on itself requires double the income still. With say a 20,000 deposit (which takes time to collect) and will roughly come out to 1500-1600 per month for a 375k house with, around maybe 1000 per year in property tax, and then all the other hidden things like electricity, gas, etc... Sudednly you're close to 2000 a month. Minimum houses now a days in toronto (garbage) are 400-500k. It's ridiculous.

It means living paycheque to paycheque. So it comes down to the need to have two solid incomes, two 50,000 a year incomes roughly equates to some comfort of not having to struggle completely paycheque to paycheque. Yet how many people can get 100k a year? 100k a year was a lot at one point but now? Just a comfort zone?

I don't want to depress potentials, those that want to get married, thinking about marriage, etc...

Cost of food/house needs, cost of rent/mortgage, cost of travel/gas, cost of car insurance, unexpected car repairs, regular car maintenance, unexpected needs, need for clothing (cloths do wear out if you wear them every day), cost of telephone/internet, cost of electricity.

So many factors that start adding up. If you have kids, an extra calculation right there.

Re: The rising cost of living and financial responsibility

That's life. Same thing over here. Just live within your means. I'm c*** with money so I hope I find a husband who is good with money. :/
    [FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR="#0066ff"][SIZE=4] We're all a little broken in our own little way and the last time I checked, broken crayons still colour the same...[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

60K is good money, people can live quite comfortable with that.

Comment

I'm willing to help my future hubby out until he gets settled in his career before children, but after children he will have to step up. Everyone else is coping why is this an issue specifically for muslims??

Originally posted by Winter View Post
        He's talking about Canada me thinks :scratch:
        :sub: wabihamdihi:sub:hiladheem

Comment

Originally posted by Winter View Post
          That was maybe ten years ago. I was amazed at 60k at one point, now, not anymore. Not now. It's literally paycheque to paycheque. The cost of living has become too much... at least recently gas plumetted down like crazy back to 09 prices, but that in on itself is worrying. When gas started rising up, they used it as an excuse to increase price of everything, food, clothing, travel (plane tickets), etc... due to 'transport' fees. Yet despite the price drop in gas, none of the other things dropped back down.

60k CAD is not 60k GBP lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed2013 View Post
            I am totally against men ever being lazy, slobs or depending on hand outs from welfare (unfortunately there are many Muslims who are)

Yet at the same time even being a hard working individual making descent wages, it is becoming increasingly difficult to survive and for a man to be the sole provider.

Some people opt for government housing (many of these neighborhoods are poor choices for children), there are waiting lists, etc.... It's also not 'free' unless you are outright broke. At least here in Canada. If you are making good wages, it may end up as much as regular rent.

The rent has risen dramatically. it's literally doubled almost trippled in some cases in the last 15 years. The income for most people hasn't inflated alongside it. Jobs that were 50-60k then are still 50-60k more or less. The cost of food in just the last ten years in most cases doubled or tripped for most products. Meat especially.

Being the sole provider has become more than just a responsibility but an outright burden. If you're making Sixty thousand a year, it sounds like good money.. but really isn't enough anymore.

Rent now in the Toronto area is roughly 1200 per month for a one bedroom! That's rent alone. Prices for gas recently dropped dramatically (50 cents cheaper thats alot hasnt been like this since 09) but everything else remains very expensive.

To top that off monthly rent is a complete waste, money going paycheque to paycheque into oblivious while just surviving. Makes it feel almost futile to work when some people get government housing.

Houses are not that much more per month (mortgage) yet that in on itself requires double the income still. With say a 20,000 deposit (which takes time to collect) and will roughly come out to 1500-1600 per month for a 375k house with, around maybe 1000 per year in property tax, and then all the other hidden things like electricity, gas, etc... Sudednly you're close to 2000 a month. Minimum houses now a days in toronto (garbage) are 400-500k. It's ridiculous.

It means living paycheque to paycheque. So it comes down to the need to have two solid incomes, two 50,000 a year incomes roughly equates to some comfort of not having to struggle completely paycheque to paycheque. Yet how many people can get 100k a year? 100k a year was a lot at one point but now? Just a comfort zone?

I don't want to depress potentials, those that want to get married, thinking about marriage, etc...

Cost of food/house needs, cost of rent/mortgage, cost of travel/gas, cost of car insurance, unexpected car repairs, regular car maintenance, unexpected needs, need for clothing (cloths do wear out if you wear them every day), cost of telephone/internet, cost of electricity.

So many factors that start adding up. If you have kids, an extra calculation right there.
            Learn about barakah and the actions that bring barakah in life.

Barakah is not about having more but a person's needs getting sufficed with what little he has.

Like a tiny bowl of milk in the hand of abu hurairah (ra) from which scores of sahaba drank, he drank upto his throat and then the prophet drank from it.

Like the small bag of dates that Prophet gave to abu hurairah (ra) from which he ate and gave people to eat for over 23 years till the day he lost the bag when uthman (ra) was martyred.

These are the real examples of barakah so study about the actions that brings barakah in life then by Allah even that 50 - 60k would suffice
            Last edited by truepath; 12-01-15, 09:12 PM.
            لا أريد مِنْكُمْ جَزَاء وَلا شُكُورًا

Comment

^I understand the concept of contentment, I am not a materialistic person. I am probably the least materialistic guy on here.

I am just talking about the rising cost of living just to survive.. Living paycheque to paycheque is just surviving and worrying about ending up on the street. Being responsible in providing for the family. It's the basics.
              Last edited by Ahmed2013; 12-01-15, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed2013 View Post
                ^I understand the concept of contentment, I am not a materialistic person. I am probably the least materialistic guy on here.

I am just talking about the rising cost of living just to survive..
                I wasn't talking about contentment or asking to be content at all. Nor barakah means contentment. I am saying learn about barakah and the actions that brings barakah in life that Allah swt will fulfill the needs without having to struggle for more.

Being contented with what one has whether their needs get fulfilled or not is one thing and having barakah in life through which all the needs get fulfilled with what a person gets is totally different.

There are actions that Prophet (saws) taught us that brings barakah in life, so I am suggesting to learn about those acts bring conviction in them and practice upon them
                Last edited by truepath; 12-01-15, 09:22 PM.
                لا أريد مِنْكُمْ جَزَاء وَلا شُكُورًا

Comment

It only means one thing, you can't get married

If that mahr is not in the bank, the nikkah is not taking place. hmm, wait, wait, I will have to check when the mahr is actually supposed to be given. So much learning to do, gots to study marriage inside out....

It shouldn't be a problem if the girl/woman doesn't mind helping financially or is career minded anyway. Also, the central heating is really important especially in Canada, unless you want the wife to freeze :-/

So much stress. But must have faith in Allah swt.
                  'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

ah good old TO. i visit often. i know a few folks who can work but dont. the benefits of being broke in that country is ridiculous
                    لآ اِلَهَ اِلّا اللّهُ مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُوُل اللّهِ

Comment

I know, I find it therefore amazing how Muslims can make it difficult for youth to get married. Parents on the one hand concern themselves for their daughters, on the other hand, make it impossible for youth to get married -- not helping.

The other problem with mahr is how it's almost like selling a daughter, when in fact mahr is suppose to be for the wife. And realistically speaking what good is any amount of money in this day and age? It's easy and fast to spend. Giving the wife an education may seem like a better mahr than 2, 5, 10, 20 whatever thousand.

It is basically impossible to lead a comfortable life unless you are making a serious penny or both spouses work. At least here in the west.

People 'back home' also don't realize living in the west is not a mountain of gold. It's just people working hard to survive. 60k may seem like a lot to people back home, but then their cost of living is ridiculously cheap. They don't understand that groceries in one week in Canada may cost more than a month's earning for them 'back home'.

Just thinking out loud.

I have always been a proponent of marriage and always will be, but Muslims make zina cheap and marriage expensive by not realizing the challenges many youth or would be potentials go through.

Comment

Originally posted by Aloo View Post
                        ah good old TO. i visit often. i know a few folks who can work but dont. the benefits of being broke in that country is ridiculous
                        it can be easier to live 'comfortably' by having no income, getting government housing (no rent to pay) and wellfare (food/etc...) than being a hard working and honest man struggling. Isn't that sad or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post
                          It only means one thing, you can't get married

If that mahr is not in the bank, the nikkah is not taking place. hmm, wait, wait, I will have to check when the mahr is actually supposed to be given. So much learning to do, gots to study marriage inside out....

It shouldn't be a problem if the girl/woman doesn't mind helping financially or is career minded anyway. Also, the central heating is really important especially in Canada, unless you want the wife to freeze :-/

So much stress. But must have faith in Allah swt.
                          The mahr can be delayed. I wouldn't advise it though..
                          [FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR="#0066ff"][SIZE=4] We're all a little broken in our own little way and the last time I checked, broken crayons still colour the same...[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

I want people to realize how much it costs to actually just survive vs live comfortably. This is not even looking at things from a materialistic perspective or gold digging perspective.

Realistically speaking, today, in the west, both couples must work if you want to not live stressed or burdened and be able to be comfortable, both have to be educated or business oriented/enterprenual. If you don't want to be living paycheque to paycheque just to buy necessities and pay bills.

15+ years ago a big 3 bedroom apartment was 400-600 in Canada. Today you're talking 1300-1600.

Jobs that were earning back then a certain amount are not drastically earning more today.

Some people living on minimum wage, if it were not for them working 2-3 jobs or getting wellfare/government housing. They would be on the street.

It's almost as if government and corporations make it so people just work to survive in either situation, while the ones reeling in millions almost don't need to do squat lol. The divide between rich and poor is becoming broader.

'Middle-class' is history.
                            Last edited by Ahmed2013; 12-01-15, 09:45 PM.

Comment

I understand the difficulty facing many of us, I see how hard my dad works, I am working myself. It's not easy running the household.

I just take it lightly on the forum as it's too depressing to think about. My sibling and her husband are struggling to find a house, even with government housing the waiting list is too long.

Hard times. Even when you go to the supermarket to buy the bare necessities it costs a lot. The cost of living is rising non stop.
                              'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Working...
                              X