Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Query for mods re contraception

Originally posted by nonameakhi View Post
    Even the regular pill allows an egg to be fertilised but thins the womb to not allow the now fertilised egg to implant and grow

I know its a controversial topic but the pill is see as an Abortifacient based on the above. The ulema I have spoken to in my own research have agreed with this and said its not allowed

Again this isn't a fatwa, it is what I believe and am happy to listen. But not cut and pastes from yahoo or whatever. the science behind it isn't necessarily straight forward for everyone
    Thats a common argument against the pill amongst certain groups (eg catholics)

The problem is the pill works in 3 ways (which im sure you know, but im only including for those who may not):

1) stopping ovulation.
    2) making the general environment inhospitable to sperm reaching the egg.
    3) keeping the womb lining thin to prevent implantation

95% of women will be covered by option 1 if they take the pill correctly. If by some mistake, she does ovulate, option 2 makes any kind of fertilisation extremely unlikely as the sperm will not be able to reach the egg. the controversy lies over method 3 because it is purely theoretical.,it is impossible to prove because so many eggs naturally fail to implant after fertilisation in people not using hormonal contraceptives, so there is no way to measure what percent of fertilised eggs would have otherwise implanted were it not for the pill.

It is also important to note that should a woman become pregnant whilst taking the pill, this will do nothing to abort the pregnancy once implantation has taken place.

Comment

Originally posted by Constant Hope View Post
      Both would be deemed haram if my suscpicions are correct. Basically, there are a handful of legitimate halal contraceptive methods.
      As I understand it, again happy to have the science explained and then will query it, the notion of coitus interuptus is the only halal method.

Many of the methods that purport to do even this, when explored may be wrong. In other words the may be even 90% able to block fertilisation but if it does occur then a sort of abortion takes over or abortifacient if you want the technical word from those debating it

as it stands condoms would be the only method that would fit in with the coitus interuptus that there is evidence for

Comment

Originally posted by _Ruby_ View Post
        Thats a common argument against the pill amongst certain groups (eg catholics)

The problem is the pill works in 3 ways (which im sure you know, but im only including for those who may not):

1) stopping ovulation.
        2) making the general environment inhospitable to sperm reaching the egg.
        3) keeping the womb lining thin to prevent implantation

95% of women will be covered by option 1 if they take the pill correctly. If by some mistake, she does ovulate, option 2 makes any kind of fertilisation extremely unlikely as the sperm will not be able to reach the egg. the controversy lies over method 3 because it is purely theoretical.,it is impossible to prove because so many eggs naturally fail to implant after fertilisation in people not using hormonal contraceptives, so there is no way to measure what percent of fertilised eggs would have otherwise implanted were it not for the pill.

It is also important to note that should a woman become pregnant whilst taking the pill, this will do nothing to abort the pregnancy once implantation has taken place.
        TBH I don't really pay much never mind to the catholic stance on things. I go to ulema who I feel are versed on such topics and the issue is that if only once number 3 happened then you have sinned in Islam

Comment

TBH I don't really pay much never mind to the catholic stance on things. I go to ulema who I feel are versed on such topics and the issue is that if only once number 3 happened then you have sinned in Islam
          Fair enough, if it is 100% haram as per islam, then it would be better to err on the side of caution.

Out of interest, if a person were destined to have a child, surely option 3 wouldnt come into play anyway?

ps, i would disagree with the use of the word 'abortion' in relation to the pill. Technically a woman is not 'pregnant' until the egg has implanted in the womb, and abortion is the termination of a pregnancy. Before the egg has implanted, she is not pregnant yet, but has a fertilised egg with the potential to begin a pregnancy. But thats just a personal bugbear of mine (contraceptives/reproduction were the focus of my MSc)
          Last edited by _Ruby_; 30-12-14, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by _Ruby_ View Post
            Fair enough, if it is 100% haram as per islam, then it would be better to err on the side of caution.

Out of interest, if a person were destined to have a child, surely option 3 wouldnt come into play anyway?
            we cant go by if buts and maybes is the simple answer. Of course if Allah swt wills it will happen no matter what but its what we DID that would make us accountable.

Comment

we cant go by if buts and maybes is the simple answer. Of course if Allah swt wills it will happen no matter what but its what we DID that would make us accountable.
              OK, thank you for taking the time to answer.

Comment

I am sure there are enough guidelines out there already, also I think anyone who sincerely wants to know can search for material online as well as vast amount of data available in form of fatwas on islamqa and askimam type facilities.

I would rather refer poeple to those resources than to allow a general discussion on such an issue.

It is true, there is no shyness in Islam but there are ettiquettes. I wouldn't sit amongst my friends and discuss details of intercourse or preventative measures, I would however not be shy to seek advise from someone whose advise I am willing to take on that issue. I would expect them to frankly understand my issue and be able to give me a frank answer without the unncessary shyness. However to discuss amongst friends as a point of contention, for purposes of debate or to enlighten the unmarried or misguided would just serve no purpose other than amusement
                "The objective behind Shari'ah is to liberate individuals from his desires in order to be a true Abd (slave) of Allah and that is the legitimate Maslaha... Violating the Shari'ah under the pretext of following Maqasid al-Shari'ah is like the one who cares about the spirit without the body and since the body without the spirit is useless therefore the spirit without the body is useless too." ~ Imam Shatibi - The greatest intellectual founder of Maqasid al-Shari'ah

Comment

Originally posted by missmirah02 View Post
                  I've read that it's allowed but there's no point because whatever life Allah wills into the world will exist
                  You're repeating a claim that people make due to a poor understanding of contraception. Yes it is possible to get pregnant even if using contraception but it's extremely rare. That's all it means by IF God wills.

http://www.therevival.co.uk/contrace...halal-or-haram

By Shaykh Salim Ghisa

2) Temporary/Reversible Contraception
                  Temporary contraception where it does not contradict the Shariah is permissible as long as both partners agree. It was a common practice of the companions of the Prophet (May Allah bless him and grant him peace) to perform ‘Coitus Interruptus’ (also know as `azl), meaning to withdraw from their partner just before ejaculation. Therefore, this was a form of temporary contraception.

Sayyiduna Jabir ibn Abd Allah (Allah be pleased with him relates that, "We used to engage in contraception (`azl) while the Qur'an was being revealed. Had it been something that was interdicted, the Qur'an would have forbidden it." [Bukhari (5209); Muslim (4220)]
                  There are also many other similar Ahadith allowing the permissibility of this type of contraception.

Other Types Of Temporary Contraception Allowed:

Please note permission must be obtained by both husband and wife before these are used.

Condoms – These are permissible and can be used without any problems.

Pill/Injection – The use of the contraceptive pill for the purpose of contraception is also permissible. Scholars have advised that it should not be used just to ‘delay’ the period because of Ramadhan or Hajj etc.

Coil – This should be avoided as it involves the insertion of the coil into the female private parts.

Sheath – Also should be avoided due to the same reason as the coil.

- See more at: http://www.therevival.co.uk/contrace....i8kd2B3c.dpuf
                  4) Intra-Uterine Devices (IUD)/coils/loop

This is somewhat disliked and discouraged. The Fuqahā have stated that it is disliked to insert something into a woman’s private area without any pressing need.[18]
                  The references for [18] are in Arabic. It says disliked and discouraged but not forbidden. From what I know the coil is the most popular method.
                  Last edited by Nulbreaker; 30-12-14, 06:11 PM.
                  "We cast the truth against the falsehood, so that it breaks its head, and lo! it vanishes; and woe to you for what you describe." Qur'an 21:18

Comment

Working...
                  X