Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding (Walima) Stories

:salams:

Just wanted to get an idea of what some proper Islamic Walimas are like. The typical Asian wedding has a huge stage with a big throne for the groom lol, no way am I gonna have that.

What are some of your experiences, or better yet your own walima, what was it like?

Re: Wedding (Walima) Stories

One of my niqabi friends from uni got married. Her walima was in a restaurant. It was segregated, men downstairs and women upstairs. Men could not see the women and vice versa. I don't know what was happening in the men's section, but in the women's section it was a relaxed environment (in terms of hijab). Bride was wearing a sari or lenga, can't remember. No haram music.

They were Pakistani so the food was amazing obviously.

May Allah bless their marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by DaughterOfAdam View Post
      One of my niqabi friends from uni got married. Her walima was in a restaurant. It was segregated, men downstairs and women upstairs. Men could not see the women and vice versa. I don't know what was happening in the men's section, but in the women's section it was a relaxed environment (in terms of hijab). Bride was wearing a sari or lenga, can't remember. No haram music.

They were Pakistani so the food was amazing obviously.

May Allah bless their marriage.
      Ameen

Restaurants not a bad idea. Food is going to be better than the usual wedding caterers anyway. Only bad point is you can't fit all that many people in a restaurant as you can in a big wedding hall.

Comment

It depends how many people you're inviting. My friend's wedding was kinda small.

Personally, I don't like people looking at me nor do I like being the centre of attention. So a smaller wedding is better I think.

Comment

Originally posted by DaughterOfAdam View Post
          Personally, I don't like people looking at me nor do I like being the centre of attention. So a smaller wedding is better I think.
          Same. I find it difficult talking in front of the class nevermind everybody looking at me at my wedding lol

Comment

Good question. Never been to a proper one although I want mine to be segregated

The weddings I go to are all messed up. In they all have hindu customs

Last one I went to was so awkward as I had to sit in a table across from female cousin and it was weird

Plus music was being done by sikhs and girls started dancing and guys staring at them. Haha

And I was in the corner near the wall looking away. I was forced to go to the wedding
            Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob Thabbit Qalbi Alaa Deenik
            ( O changer of hearts, keep my heart steadfast on your deen)

www.treasureofthescholars.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by firestar101 View Post
              Good question. Never been to a proper one although I want mine to be segregated

The weddings I go to are all messed up. In they all have hindu customs

Last one I went to was so awkward as I had to sit in a table across from female cousin and it was weird

Plus music was being done by sikhs and girls started dancing and guys staring at them. Haha

And I was in the corner near the wall looking away. I was forced to go to the wedding
              I havent been to a wedding in ages. I've missed a good 4 or 5 just because I cant be bothered with the unislamic customs anymore. Last one I went to was I think my cousins. By far one of the most unislamic ones I've been to, I just had to go because well, she is my cousin lol

Comment

:salams:

I'll be going to a wedding soon :insha:

can't wait! it's strictly segregated, no cameras allowed.
                'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

we dont all do huge stage with throne and its not just asians who do that, some arab weddings are just as grand

in my family some people have had the big ridiculous circus wedding, others have done a simple nikah in the house followed by a nice dinner.

what is walima again - when the guys side pays for it? yeah best thing to do is a family dinner in a restaurant. keep the numbers minimal, no reason why every asian on the planet needs to be invited, just close family and friends

Comment

I don't think i've ever been to a 'strict' Islamic wedding if that makes sense. I've been to a typical Pakistani wedding where men and women are seperated in different halls, but the families all seem to come together at the end of the event to offer gifts, take pictures, video etc. and eat cake.

I suppose that last bit is a bit 'Un-Islamic' steictly speaking since non-mahrams will see each other and usually women don't wear hijab. Guys don't have beards (male hijab :1popcorn:)

So, I always wondered. I personally plan on doing a segregated type affair, but get the feeling it will be 'typical' in the way most seem to do it. Although I could never end up getting married, so 'Bah!' lol (that's actually a very sad lol :( )
                    I write novels for posts. Beware. :mujahida:

Ummah Forum seems pretty black and white. Was thinking of offering Skittles as Dawah to introduce a rainbow.

Comment

Working...
                    X