Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do your own parents approach you with a proposal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do your own parents approach you with a proposal?

:salams:

How do your own parents approach you with a proposal or when another family makes a proposal for you?

Edit: I would like to also include: How do your parents make a proposal to a family on your behalf? Do they directly say that 'my son/daughter is looking to get married and we were considering your son/daughter,' or do they do something else?

Just wanted to compare the different ways, :insha:

:jkk:
    Last edited by starrynight11; 16-11-14, 08:46 PM.
    Life's actually pretty simple: you just have to enjoy it, pray, do good, refrain from bad, and respect others. Being Muslim is not a disadvantage or an advantage - it's a responsibility.
    "So patiently persevere: for verily the promise of Allah is true" (Qur'an, Surah Ar-Rum - 30:60)

Re: How do your own parents approach you with a proposal?

:wswrwb:

In my culture they don't.
    And strive because the sweetness of life lies in the struggle - Imam al-Shafi'i

Comment

Originally posted by Strive View Post

How does that work?
      Life's actually pretty simple: you just have to enjoy it, pray, do good, refrain from bad, and respect others. Being Muslim is not a disadvantage or an advantage - it's a responsibility.
      "So patiently persevere: for verily the promise of Allah is true" (Qur'an, Surah Ar-Rum - 30:60)

Comment

Originally posted by Strive View Post

They don't?
        اللهُمَّ أَعِزَّ الإِسْلامَ وَالمُسْلِمِينَ

Comment

Originally posted by starrynight11 View Post
          How does that work?
          I guess they decide the case themselves without asking her thoughts on the matter.

Comment

mom shows me pic of so and so and tells me a little but about her. if i'm interested i tell her to talk to the girls parents and arrange a meeting. does that answer ur question?

Comment

Originally posted by hassaan561 View Post
              mom shows me pic of so and so and tells me a little but about her. if i'm interested i tell her to talk to the girls parents and arrange a meeting. does that answer ur question?
              So, you would have to show some kind of interest to your parents to give them 'permission' to go ahead and arrange a meeting? Is it the same for the sisters?

Comment

So, you would have to show some kind of interest to your parents to give them 'permission' to go ahead and arrange a meeting? Is it the same for the sisters?
                my sis is already married so don't know. but yes they can't make me meet a girl i don't like or don't know anything about lol. i think that's called forced marriage lol

Comment

How does that work?
                  Expected to bring the guy ourselves. Stupid Somali culture

Comment

Originally posted by umm salabil View Post
                    I guess they decide the case themselves without asking her thoughts on the matter.
                    oh heeeeelllll no! I would never allow that.

Comment

My mum once invited the family over for dinner without informing about the proposal. It was as if they were spying on me/testing my cooking. Needless to say I was very annoyed and uninterested when I found out.

Comment

Originally posted by one_justice View Post
                        My mum once invited the family over for dinner without informing about the proposal. It was as if they were spying on me/testing my cooking. Needless to say I was very annoyed and uninterested when I found out.
                        Testing your cooking! :sub: lol

How did you find out that it was indeed for marriage purposes?

Comment

I have no idea what happens behind the scenes. Its like I'm an actor and my mother is my agent

She works all the deals for me haha

(sorry for not being helpful)
                          Believe
                          there is
                          good in the world

Comment

I hope no potential and his family would come over to test my cooking

The horrors. I hope they enjoy eating microwaved food!

Comment

Its a 'no no' to look for your daughter in my culture so my parents make it known they are looking for me when people ask. This is used as a way of word getting around. As for sons, in my culture a man can't turn up with his family with the view of seeing the potential sister before taking it serious. The intention by his parents are made clear, he has to practically decide without going over to see her...I would hate that

Comment

Working...
                              X