X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Yes, He is Our Husband"- A Second Wife

Originally posted by brightesthour View Post
    So if your husband wants to have a 2nd wife his current wife has no say in the matter?

Okay it's permissible I know, but if the man knows his potential wife isn't okay with him having another wife he should respect that yeah? Because then he could've married someone else who was okay with him having multiple wives.
    there are scholars who've presented evidences and rulings for both (that the husband doesn't need the first wife's permission, and that he does need the first wife's permission). in some islamic countries such as malaysia it is permissible to have a "no-polygamy clause" in the nikah contract. other countries require that a man has the first wife's consent. here is a ruling by mufti ebrahim desai that examines this situation according to the four madhabs: http://islamqa.org/hanafi/askimam/15461
    here is another link about this: http://en.islamtoday.net/quesshow-89-1896.htm

in my experience it's better to discuss it beforehand with a potential spouse, and for some people it is a deal breaker for them always throughout the marriage, but obviously people change so a potential who doesn't want to seek a second wife now might feel differently 15 years down the road (and so might you!).

Comment

Originally posted by |Abdur Raheem| View Post
      If he wants to avoid polygamy for her sake then it's good for them. However if he wants to take a second wife, she has no say in the matter since she would be forbidding what is permissible.

Don't forget that polygamy is there for a reason. Allah didn't allow it to mentally torture women.
      According to a valid opinion in the madhabs, she can opt for divorce if she doesn't want polygamy. Being forced to live in a polygamous marriage that makes you miserable is oppression and Islam forbids oppression. I don't know why people don't like to acknowledge the fact that Islam gives alternative options. Its not a one way street!!

@ Bright- yes you can place a clause on your contract which gives you the right to end the marriage if husband wants to remarry. And even if you don't place it and he remarries and its affecting your mental/emotional/spiritual wellbeing you can opt for a divorce, its valid. You never need to be miserable in your marriage.

While many would call the man selfish for wanting a second wife don't forget that it can be selfish to restrain the fitra of a man. Especially since Allah made it permissible for him.
      Lol this is jokes. I could argue he is being selfish for not allowing her to be monogamous since that's in our fitrah. As is jealousy. Fact is, polygamy is a personal choice, its not a pillar of Islam, let's please stop the guilt trapping. Its becoming tedious.
      Gone with the wind.

Comment

While many would call the man selfish for wanting a second wife don't forget that it can be selfish to restrain the fitra of a man. Especially since Allah made it permissible for him.
        the qur'an never refers to polygyny as part of a man's fitrah. marriage is part of a man's fitrah (and a woman's); polygyny was established as a social good to benefit unmarried women, widows, orphans, and so on.

If ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly with the orphans, Marry women of your choice, Two or three or four; but if ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one, or (a captive) that your right hands possess, that will be more suitable, to prevent you from doing injustice. Qur'an Surah An-Nisa 4:3

Comment

Originally posted by amatullahniqabi View Post
          the qur'an never refers to polygyny as part of a man's fitrah. marriage is part of a man's fitrah (and a woman's); polygyny was established as a social good to benefit unmarried women, widows, orphans, and so on.
          :salams:

I've heard something similar before (but Allahu A'lam whether this opinion is wrong). Not sure about that first sentence, though.

Also, why would Prophet Muhammad stop Ali (RA) from taking on a second wife while Ali (RA) was married to Fatimah (RA)? I understand that it was because Rasoolullah loved his daughter very much and that Ali (RA) was considering marriage with the daughter of an enemy of Rasoolullah , but in this case, polygyny was sort of denied.

:jkk:

Edit: Part of a man's fitrah, yes, I can see that. But the 'arguments' here sound as if it's part of a man's right to engage in polygyny, which doesn't sound correct to me, in my opinion. There are a lot more things to consider here. Allah knows best.
          Last edited by starrynight11; 17-11-14, 09:04 AM.
          Life's actually pretty simple: you just have to enjoy it, pray, do good, refrain from bad, and respect others. Being Muslim is not a disadvantage or an advantage - it's a responsibility.
          "So patiently persevere: for verily the promise of Allah is true" (Qur'an, Surah Ar-Rum - 30:60)

Comment

Originally posted by starrynight11 View Post
            Also, why would Prophet Muhammad stop Ali (RA) from taking on a second wife while Ali (RA) was married to Fatimah (RA)? I understand that it was because Rasoolullah loved his daughter very much, but can we say that polygyny is really part of a man's fitrah? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
            Well you could say that it is physically possible for a man (some men) to love more than one woman at a time. Thats about as far as I would go though without Islamic proof.

Comment

Doesnt fitra mean nature in arabic?
              [SIZE=4][COLOR="#FF0000"][FONT=Book Antiqua][CENTER][B][URL="http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?459504-Immensely-rewarding-dhikr!!!&highlight="]IMMENSELY REWARDING DHIKR!!![/URL][/B][/CENTER][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=4][COLOR="#2F4F4F"][CENTER]Before you post, think..."Will this help me when I stand before Allah?" If it doesn't, then you're wasting time....[/CENTER][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel101 View Post
                According to a valid opinion in the madhabs, she can opt for divorce if she doesn't want polygamy. Being forced to live in a polygamous marriage that makes you miserable is oppression and Islam forbids oppression. I don't know why people don't like to acknowledge the fact that Islam gives alternative options. Its not a one way street!!

@ Bright- yes you can place a clause on your contract which gives you the right to end the marriage if husband wants to remarry. And even if you don't place it and he remarries and its affecting your mental/emotional/spiritual wellbeing you can opt for a divorce, its valid. You never need to be miserable in your marriage.

Lol this is jokes. I could argue he is being selfish for not allowing her to be monogamous since that's in our fitrah. As is jealousy. Fact is, polygamy is a personal choice, its not a pillar of Islam, let's please stop the guilt trapping. Its becoming tedious.
                I did say she could divorce if she wanted one. What i said by has no say in the matter was in regards to allowing him to take a second wife.

I didnt say its a pillar of Islam. I said its the nature of man to desire more than one woman.

Please dont accuse me of guilt trapping to make it look like a pillar if Islam. Thats not what Im doing here. Im saying that she shouldnt call him selfish for wanting one

I'd advise you to speak more politely when you discuss things wih your fellow Muslims

I don't want to argue about this like I said in the OP

:salams
                Last edited by |Abdur Raheem|; 17-11-14, 09:09 AM.
                [SIZE=4][COLOR="#FF0000"][FONT=Book Antiqua][CENTER][B][URL="http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?459504-Immensely-rewarding-dhikr!!!&highlight="]IMMENSELY REWARDING DHIKR!!![/URL][/B][/CENTER][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=4][COLOR="#2F4F4F"][CENTER]Before you post, think..."Will this help me when I stand before Allah?" If it doesn't, then you're wasting time....[/CENTER][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Regarding the clause in the contract for the first wife to be able to divorce him if he takes a second...does that not equate to the same outcome as stopping him from doing polygamy in the first place?

If he takes a second wife he loses the old one so the new one becomes the only (you could say first) wife.

Comment

Originally posted by raze599 View Post
                    Regarding the clause in the contract for the first wife to be able to divorce him if he takes a second...does that not equate to the same outcome as stopping him from doing polygamy in the first place?

If he takes a second wife he loses the old one so the new one becomes the only (you could say first) wife.
                    No. Because she is making a personal decision whether she wants to be in a polygamous relationship or whether she prefers to be single or remarry someone who desires what she wants. She is in no way controlling his actions, he is still free to divorce her and marry 3 others or how many he desires.

@ Abdue Raheem, you should be clear because the posts I quoted were making it seem she hahad no option but to remain in a polygamous relationship despite her feelings. And telling us not wanting to be in a polygamous relationship is "selfish" is a form of guilt trap. I was never rude to you. Maybe stop being so sensitive. This will be my last reply/interaction with you on this forum as you have a habit of being overly sensitive and accusing people of being impolite when they are not. :salams
                    Last edited by Rebel101; 17-11-14, 09:17 AM.
                    Gone with the wind.

Comment

No. Because she is making a personal decision whether she wants to be in a polygamous relationship or whether she prefers to be single or remarry someone who desires what she wants. She is in no way controlling his actions, he is still free to divorce her and marry 3 others or how many he desires.
                      Ohhh I get it. Jazakallah

Comment

@ Abdue Raheem, I was never rude to you. Maybe stop being so sensitive. This will be my last reply/interaction with you on this forum as you have a habit of being overly sensitive and accusing people of being impoliteimpolite. :salams
                        Yeah this is what I meant. Sorry if I didnt say it in the right way.

I didnt call you impolite? :scratch:

Saying "lol this is jokes " sounds mocking.

I advised you to be more polite since a believer shouldnt speak to a fellow believer that way.
                        Last edited by |Abdur Raheem|; 17-11-14, 09:20 AM.

Comment

1. POLYGAMY

Question:

Why is a man allowed to have more than one wife in Islam? i.e. why is polygamy allowed in Islam?

Answer:

1. Definition of Polygamy

Polygamy means a system of marriage whereby one person has more than one spouse. Polygamy can be of two types. One is polygyny where a man marries more than one woman, and the other is polyandry, where a woman marries more than one man. In Islam, limited polygyny is permitted; whereas polyandry is completely prohibited.

Now coming to the original question, why is a man allowed to have more than one wife?

2. The Qur'an is the only religious scripture in the world that says, "marry only one".

The Qur'an is the only religious book, on the face of this earth, that contains the phrase 'marry only one'. There is no other religious book that instructs men to have only one wife. In none of the other religious scriptures, whether it be the Vedas, the Ramayan, the Mahabharat, the Geeta, the Talmud or the Bible does one find a restriction on the number of wives. According to these scriptures one can marry as many as one wishes. It was only later, that the Hindu priests and the Christian Church restricted the number of wives to one.

Many Hindu religious personalities, according to their scriptures, had multiple wives. King Dashrat, the father of Rama, had more than one wife. Krishna had several wives.

In earlier times, Christian men were permitted as many wives as they wished, since the Bible puts no restriction on the number of wives. It was only a few centuries ago that the Church restricted the number of wives to one.

Polygyny is permitted in Judaism. According to Talmudic law, Abraham had three wives, and Solomon had hundreds of wives. The practice of polygyny continued till Rabbi Gershom ben Yehudah (960 C.E to 1030 C.E) issued an edict against it. The Jewish Sephardic communities living in Muslim countries continued the practice till as late as 1 950, until an Act of the Chief Rabbinate of
                          Israel extended the ban on marrying more than one wife.

Let us now analyse why Islam allows a man to have more than one wife.

3. Qur'an permits limited polygyny

As I mentioned earlier, Qur'an is the only religious book on the face of the earth that says 'marry only one'. The context of this phrase is the following verse from

Surah Nisa of the Glorious Qur'an:

"Marry women of your choice, two, or three, or four; but if ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one."

[Al-Qur'an 4:3]

Before the Qur'an was revealed, there was no upper limit for polygyny and many men had scores of wives, some even hundreds. Islam put an upper limit of four wives. Islam gives a man permission to marry two, three or four women, only on the condition that he deals justly with them.

In the same chapter i.e. Surah Nisa verse 129 says:

"Ye are never able to be fair and just as between women...."

[Al-Qur'an 4:129]

Therefore polygyny is not a rule but an exception. Many people are under the misconception that it is compulsory for a Muslim man to have more than one wife.

Broadly, Islam has five categories of Do's and Don'ts:

(i) 'Fard' i.e. compulsory or obligatory

(ii) 'Mustahab' i.e. recommended or encouraged

(iii) 'Mubah' i.e. permissible or allowed

(iv) 'Makruh' i.e. not recommended or discouraged

(v) 'Haraam' i.e. prohibited or forbidden

Polygyny falls in the middle category of things that are permissible. It cannot be said that a Muslim who has two, three or four wives is a better Muslim as compared to a Muslim who has only one wife.

4. Average life span of females is more than that of males

By nature males and females are born in approximately the same ratio. A female child has more immunity than a male child. A female child can fight the germs and diseases better than the male child. For this reason, during the pediatric age itself there are more deaths among males as compared to the females.

During wars, there are more men killed as compared to women. More men die due to accidents and diseases than women. The average life span of females is more than that of males, and at any given time one finds more widows in the world than widowers.

5. India has more male population than female due to female foeticide and infanticide. India is one of the few countries, along with the other neighbouring countries, in which the female population is less than the male population. The reason lies in the high rate of female infanticide in India, and the fact that more than one million female foetuses are aborted every year in this country, after they are identified as females. If this evil practice is stopped, then India too will have more females as compared to males.

6. World female population is more than male population

In the USA, women outnumber men by 7.8 million. New York alone has one million more females as compared to the number of males, and of the male population of New York one-third are gays i.e sodomites. The U.S.A as a whole has more than twenty-five million gays. This means that these people do not wish to marry women. Great Britain has four million more females as compared
                          to males. Germany has five million more females as compared to males. Russia has nine million more females than males. God alone knows how many million more females there are in the whole world as compared to males.

7. Restricting each and every man to have only one wife is not practical

Even if every man got married to one woman, there would still be more than thirty million females in U.S.A who would not be able to get husbands (considering that America has twenty five million gays). There would be more than four million females in Great Britain, 5 million females in Germany and nine million females in Russia alone who would not be able to find a husband.

Suppose my sister happens to be one of the unmarried women living in USA, or suppose your sister happens to be one of the unmarried women in USA. The only two options remaining for her are that she either marries a man who already has a wife or becomes 'public property'. There is no other option. All those who are modest will opt for the first.

Most women would not like to share their husband with other women. But in Islam when the situation deems it really necessary Muslim women in due faith could bear a small personal loss to prevent a greater loss of letting other Muslim sisters becoming 'public properties'.

8. Marrying a married man preferable to becoming 'public property'

In Western society, it is common for a man to have mistresses and/or multiple extra-marital affairs, in which case, the woman leads a disgraceful, unprotected life. The same society, however, cannot accept a man having more than one wife, in which women retain their honourable, dignified position in society and lead a protected life.

Thus the only two options before a woman who cannot find a husband is to marry a married man or to become 'public property'. Islam prefers giving women the honourable position by permitting the first option and disallowing the second.

There are several other reasons, why Islam has permitted limited polygyny, but it is mainly to protect the modesty of women.

~ Dr. Zakir Naik

The discussion is continued here: https://archive.org/stream/DrZakirNa...uslim_djvu.txt
                          Last edited by starrynight11; 17-11-14, 09:22 AM.
                          Life's actually pretty simple: you just have to enjoy it, pray, do good, refrain from bad, and respect others. Being Muslim is not a disadvantage or an advantage - it's a responsibility.
                          "So patiently persevere: for verily the promise of Allah is true" (Qur'an, Surah Ar-Rum - 30:60)

Comment

1. POLYGAMY

Question:

Why is a man allowed to have more than one wife in Islam? i.e. why is polygamy allowed in Islam?

Answer:

1. Definition of Polygamy

Polygamy means a system of marriage whereby one person has more than one spouse. Polygamy can be of two types. One is polygyny where a man marries more than one woman, and the other is polyandry, where a woman marries more than one man. In Islam, limited polygyny is permitted; whereas polyandry is completely prohibited.

Now coming to the original question, why is a man allowed to have more than one wife?

2. The Qur'an is the only religious scripture in the world that says, "marry only one".

The Qur'an is the only religious book, on the face of this earth, that contains the phrase 'marry only one'. There is no other religious book that instructs men to have only one wife. In none of the other religious scriptures, whether it be the Vedas, the Ramayan, the Mahabharat, the Geeta, the Talmud or the Bible does one find a restriction on the number of wives. According to these scriptures one can marry as many as one wishes. It was only later, that the Hindu priests and the Christian Church restricted the number of wives to one.

Many Hindu religious personalities, according to their scriptures, had multiple wives. King Dashrat, the father of Rama, had more than one wife. Krishna had several wives.

In earlier times, Christian men were permitted as many wives as they wished, since the Bible puts no restriction on the number of wives. It was only a few centuries ago that the Church restricted the number of wives to one.

Polygyny is permitted in Judaism. According to Talmudic law, Abraham had three wives, and Solomon had hundreds of wives. The practice of polygyny continued till Rabbi Gershom ben Yehudah (960 C.E to 1030 C.E) issued an edict against it. The Jewish Sephardic communities living in Muslim countries continued the practice till as late as 1 950, until an Act of the Chief Rabbinate of
                            Israel extended the ban on marrying more than one wife.

Let us now analyse why Islam allows a man to have more than one wife.

3. Qur'an permits limited polygyny

As I mentioned earlier, Qur'an is the only religious book on the face of the earth that says 'marry only one'. The context of this phrase is the following verse from

Surah Nisa of the Glorious Qur'an:

"Marry women of your choice, two, or three, or four; but if ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one."

[Al-Qur'an 4:3]

Before the Qur'an was revealed, there was no upper limit for polygyny and many men had scores of wives, some even hundreds. Islam put an upper limit of four wives. Islam gives a man permission to marry two, three or four women, only on the condition that he deals justly with them.

In the same chapter i.e. Surah Nisa verse 129 says:

"Ye are never able to be fair and just as between women...."

[Al-Qur'an 4:129]

Therefore polygyny is not a rule but an exception. Many people are under the misconception that it is compulsory for a Muslim man to have more than one wife.

Broadly, Islam has five categories of Do's and Don'ts:

(i) 'Fard' i.e. compulsory or obligatory

(ii) 'Mustahab' i.e. recommended or encouraged

(iii) 'Mubah' i.e. permissible or allowed

(iv) 'Makruh' i.e. not recommended or discouraged

(v) 'Haraam' i.e. prohibited or forbidden

Polygyny falls in the middle category of things that are permissible. It cannot be said that a Muslim who has two, three or four wives is a better Muslim as compared to a Muslim who has only one wife.

4. Average life span of females is more than that of males

By nature males and females are born in approximately the same ratio. A female child has more immunity than a male child. A female child can fight the germs and diseases better than the male child. For this reason, during the pediatric age itself there are more deaths among males as compared to the females.

During wars, there are more men killed as compared to women. More men die due to accidents and diseases than women. The average life span of females is more than that of males, and at any given time one finds more widows in the world than widowers.

5. India has more male population than female due to female foeticide and infanticide. India is one of the few countries, along with the other neighbouring countries, in which the female population is less than the male population. The reason lies in the high rate of female infanticide in India, and the fact that more than one million female foetuses are aborted every year in this country, after they are identified as females. If this evil practice is stopped, then India too will have more females as compared to males.

6. World female population is more than male population

In the USA, women outnumber men by 7.8 million. New York alone has one million more females as compared to the number of males, and of the male population of New York one-third are gays i.e sodomites. The U.S.A as a whole has more than twenty-five million gays. This means that these people do not wish to marry women. Great Britain has four million more females as compared
                            to males. Germany has five million more females as compared to males. Russia has nine million more females than males. God alone knows how many million more females there are in the whole world as compared to males.

7. Restricting each and every man to have only one wife is not practical

Even if every man got married to one woman, there would still be more than thirty million females in U.S.A who would not be able to get husbands (considering that America has twenty five million gays). There would be more than four million females in Great Britain, 5 million females in Germany and nine million females in Russia alone who would not be able to find a husband.

Suppose my sister happens to be one of the unmarried women living in USA, or suppose your sister happens to be one of the unmarried women in USA. The only two options remaining for her are that she either marries a man who already has a wife or becomes 'public property'. There is no other option. All those who are modest will opt for the first.

Most women would not like to share their husband with other women. But in Islam when the situation deems it really neccessary Muslim women in due faith could bear a small personal loss to prevent a greater loss of letting other Muslim sisters becoming 'public properties'.

8. Marring a married man preferable to becoming 'public property'

In Western society, it is common for a man to have mistresses and/or multiple extra-marital affairs, in which case, the woman leads a disgraceful, unprotected life. The same society, however, cannot accept a man having more than one wife, in which women retain their honourable, dignified position in society and lead a protected life.

Thus the only two options before a woman who cannot find a husband is to marry a married man or to become 'public property'. Islam prefers giving women the honourable position by permitting the first option and disallowing the second.

There are several other reasons, why Islam has permitted limited polygyny, but it is mainly to protect the modesty of women.

~ Dr. Zakir Naik

The discussion is continued here: https://archive.org/stream/DrZakirNa...uslim_djvu.txt
                            what does 'public property' mean? And a quick google search for female vs male ratio in USA refutes the statistics he claims. Also there is an option of remaining single? I know many that prefer that to polygamy.
                            Last edited by Rebel101; 17-11-14, 09:26 AM.
                            Gone with the wind.

Comment

what does 'public property' mean? And there is an option of remaining single? I know many that prefer that to polygamy.
                              I think 'public property' is referring to prostitution.

Option of remaining single: no, I don't think so. It goes against the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad , who encouraged those who are able to get married to do so.

Comment

I think 'public property' is referring to prostitution.

Option of remaining single: no, I don't think so. It goes against the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad , who encouraged those who are able to get married to do so.
                                Some people who have no need for marriage are encouraged to stay single by ulema. As well as those who for some reason or another can't make good spouses. So staying single is an option, a more realistic and less extreme option than being 'public property' .. Also not everyone is destined to be married in this dunya so to make it seem that our options are: polygamy or public property is not correct.
                                Gone with the wind.

Comment

Working...
                                X