Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: divorce in islam vs west

Originally posted by xFedal View Post
    Could you please tell me which comments were ignorant please......

Of course people are going to talk about divorce and issues similar to it given how high the rates of divorce are nowadays, its unreal.
    If youre not married, why talk about divorce. Get married first, then talk about it.
    www.treasureofthescholars.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Muslimman3 View Post
      :salams

In my opinion, better get the nikah only (with a Will in case something happens to the husband). The wife should make sure her husband pays the full mahr from day 1, if she fears that he will not give it to her in case of islamic divorce.
      God forbid, if divorce occurs, then the mahram of the woman is responsible of her care until she eventually marries again, in which case the new husband takes this role.
      I believe that if the husband is a Muslim, he will know it's his obligation to take care of the children financially.
      If he decides that he will not pay his due, then the woman could always go through the legal system which will make him pay regardless if he was or wasn't legally married (in most western countries).

Lastly, alimony (monthly money given to the wife) after the iddah period isn't islamic and could be seen as oppression against the husband. If the husband is ever forced to pay alimony for a legal divorce, then the woman might be committing a big sin by doing so. If the husband decides to marry again, he will be forced to keep on paying alimony to his ex-wife, and might be a burden on him for which Islam never allowed.
      In Islam, after the woman divorces, her Mahram is responsible for her, so her Father, her Brothers, her Uncles, or her closer male relatives is obligated to take care of her. This is the Justice of Islam, and this is the way things should go insha'Allah.

Question: What will happen if the brother engages in polygamy? Will he have one wife legally married and one who isn't. Isn't this unfair?
      I heard that sometimes, the first wife shames the second wife by saying she's just a 'mistress' because the she isn't married to him legally while she (the first wife) is.
      Brother excellent post! and your last sentence the solution for polygamy would be to keep both ladies in nikkah only so other wife doesn't seem violated with abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by innocent_girl View Post
        Arrrrrgh

I hate it when lil kids act like know it all

Muslims in the ME register their marriages in the government office as well,muslim governments issue all the couples with marriage certificate to prove their union

Therefore registering the marriage doesn't only apply to western countries and no muslim is sinning by doing it

And one more thing worth mentioning is what will the father say to registery office worker when asked about the nature of his relationship to the mother when registering a child birth
        Cohabiting partners? According to the law you will be cohabiting but islamically married so your not doing anything wrong islamically, and its not illegal to have sex or children outside of marriage in western countries, so the law can't prosecute you.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimmjow View Post
          If youre not married, why talk about divorce. Get married first, then talk about it.
          I was advising people I don't want what happend to my cousin to happen to any other members of the ummah.

Comment

I was advising people I don't want what happend to my cousin to happen to any other members of the ummah.
            And people have had many other experiences opposite of yours. Whats the point of arguing.
            www.treasureofthescholars.wordpress.com

Comment

You guys have some weird ideas on what goes on in the nebulous "west" with divorce. I live in the "west" the U.S. and we have 50 states, all of which have their own rules for divorce. On top of that, divorce is a civil matter here, and 99% of divorces are settled without any government intervention at all. People work out an agreement (sometimes with their lawyers involved sometimes not) and the judge just signs off on the divorce decree. Same with child custody, the default is joint legal custody, with people working out the details between them.

As far as not getting legally married, in the U.S. that is a terrible idea. Just a few of the down sides are, having to pay estate tax on anything inherent from non legal spouse, no death benefits, in the U.S. you can not will government benefits to anyone it's only for your spouse and children, no right to make health care decisions, no right to make funeral/burial arrangements, and a big one, you can not be on your husbands health insurance if you are not legally married. The U.S. does not have free health care, if it's not an emergency, they do not have to treat you if you can't pay, and medical care is extremely expensive. A friend of mine spent four days in the hospital with pneumonia, she is uninsured, and is now $40,000 in debt.

Here is a list of some of the rights that come with being legally married in the U.S. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rights_..._United_States

Comment

Originally posted by Grimmjow View Post
                And people have had many other experiences opposite of yours. Whats the point of arguing.
                I was saying the Islamic method is more fair, I dont see anything wrong in that.

Comment

Originally posted by Angel Barchild View Post
                  You guys have some weird ideas on what goes on in the nebulous "west" with divorce. I live in the "west" the U.S. and we have 50 states, all of which have their own rules for divorce. On top of that, divorce is a civil matter here, and 99% of divorces are settled without any government intervention at all. People work out an agreement (sometimes with their lawyers involved sometimes not) and the judge just signs off on the divorce decree. Same with child custody, the default is joint legal custody, with people working out the details between them.

As far as not getting legally married, in the U.S. that is a terrible idea. Just a few of the down sides are, having to pay estate tax on anything inherent from non legal spouse, no death benefits, in the U.S. you can not will government benefits to anyone it's only for your spouse and children, no right to make health care decisions, no right to make funeral/burial arrangements, and a big one, you can not be on your husbands health insurance if you are not legally married. The U.S. does not have free health care, if it's not an emergency, they do not have to treat you if you can't pay, and medical care is extremely expensive. A friend of mine spent four days in the hospital with pneumonia, she is uninsured, and is now $40,000 in debt.

Here is a list of some of the rights that come with being legally married in the U.S. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rights_..._United_States
                  thanks for the response sis...i don't know all the details but i just keep hearing that men get the bad deal when it comes to divorce that's why i was inquiring

Comment

Originally posted by hassaan561 View Post
                    thanks for the response sis...i don't know all the details but i just keep hearing that men get the bad deal when it comes to divorce that's why i was inquiring
                    thats true in most cases.

Comment

alright dude u made ur point...move on

Comment

There are 300,000,000 people in the U.S. and around half of them are men, how can you claim to know men get a bad deal in "most cases"?

Comment

There are 300,000,000 people in the U.S. and around half of them are men, how can you claim to know men get a bad deal in "most cases"?
                          it's no secret who gets shafted in court.

Comment

it's no secret who gets shafted in court.
                            Since divorce cases almost never make it court in the U.S. and divorce settlements are private, you really have no way of knowing if anyone gets "shafted".
                            Unless you are implying you have personal knowledge of the marital statues of 150,000,000 men in the U.S.

Comment

Since divorce cases almost never make it court in the U.S. and divorce settlements are private, you really have no way of knowing if anyone gets "shafted".
                              Unless you are implying you have personal knowledge of the marital statues of 150,000,000 men in the U.S.
                              Look everybody knows what happens to the richer spouse when you divorce them and in most cases its men and you get to divorce them and wrongfully take their money.

Comment

Look everybody knows what happens to the richer spouse when you divorce them and in most cases its men and you get to divorce them and wrongfully take their money.
                                No everybody doesn't know what happens between two people with a private divorce settlement, because it is just that, private! They are settlements, worked out and agreed upon by the divorcing couple, almost never involving the government intervention.
                                Not to mention there are hundreds of millions of people in the U.S. alone, how can you possibly "know" who is getting what in a divorce?

Comment

Working...
                                X