No announcement yet.

How much freedom for Ahl-e-Kitab wife ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much freedom for Ahl-e-Kitab wife ?

Salaam,

I know several brothers who have married Ahl-e-Kitab women, mainly Christians from Eastern Europe - with varying levels of success.

The thing i am curious about is, how much Freedom do they have in the following:

- Food (and alcohol)
    - Hijab
    - Festivals

I am asking because i always thought the full rulings applied to them like it would to a Muslim wife but all i have seen on this topic are scholars discussing
    the permissibility/appropriateness of such marriages and not actual fatwas on life after someone has contracted such a marriage.

Re: How much freedom for Ahl-e-Kitab wife ?

Alcohol? disgusting why would anyone want to marry a woman who drinks alcohol

Comment

Originally posted by Badriya View Post
      I think in the Bible it is not forbidden, although discouraged, it is for them like tea or coffee is for us. They grow up drinking it like
      its normal.

That aside i want to know the ruling on what happens after nikah with a Muslim man, what does Shariah say she can
      keep her old ways or not.

Comment

How do those Christian women raise their children to be righteous Muslims?

Comment

Originally posted by Badriya View Post
          desperate

Comment

The idea of marrying People of Books is to try and bring the women to Islam. Rather than getting carried away with her.

Alcohol , Hijab etc cannot be compromised upon and must be discussed before marriage itself.

Comment

Walaikum Aslaam,

I found this link below that will In'Shā'Allah answer all your questions above.

http://islamqa.info/en/70177

Comment

Originally posted by truefaith View Post
                Walaikum Aslaam,

The husband does not have the right to force her to become Muslim, or to stop her worshipping in her own way. But he does have the right to forbid her to go out of the house, even if she is going to go out to go to church, because she is commanded to obey him

Pretty contradictory statement made in the above link you gave,

Comment

Originally posted by Bismil View Post
                  Yes, overall that's a poor quality fatwa. Doesn't seem to address or even understand the issues at stake.

Comment

The idea of marrying People of Books is to try and bring the women to Islam. Rather than getting carried away with her.

Alcohol , Hijab etc cannot be compromised upon and must be discussed before marriage itself.
                    That would make sense but is it specified anywhere in Quran or Hadith because if it isn't then we are just applying our own rules based on our desires. Logically I dont think it makes sense for Islamic rules of Hijab, Mahram, etc to apply to a non-Muslim woman. Otherwise it would be no different than converting her to Islam.

Comment

Walaikum Aslaam,

Not only that, but, how is she commanded to obey him when she doesn't believe in Islam?

That command will only be accepted by Muslim women because they BELIEVE.
                      O people who take pleasure in a life that will vanish, falling in love with a fading shadow is sheer stupidity~ Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyya

Comment

Originally posted by sabah suleiman View Post
                        Not only that, but, how is she commanded to obey him when she doesn't believe in Islam?

A 'scholar' should at least study the situation he is making a ruling about rather than just lazily applying the 'usual' interpretation that he gives for similar situations between a Muslim husband and Muslim Wife.

Comment

Originally posted by sabah suleiman View Post

Before marrying the woman the brother would have to explain to her the rulings of what she can or can't do after marriage. Although the women may be a non muslim the teachings of the Quran are similar to the Injeel, Torah, Zabur so she would still need to understand her husband has a greater right onto her.

This is all put into place so the children will have a decent Islamic upbringing and the brother will not be taken out the fold of Islam as the woman may be a distraction to him. Most practicing Chrisitians etc. Do not drink alcohol or celebrate pagan rituals as it is clearly stated in the Injeel, so most problems won't occur anyways.

I would strongly recommend you to ask your local masjid imam as you can clearly explain the situation and he will be able to answer your question properly In'Shā'Allah.

Allah hu Alam.

If you feel I have said anything incorrect and have stronger evidenve to show that then please forgive me as I am still learning.

Comment

Before marrying the woman the brother would have to explain to her the rulings of what she can or can't do after marriage.
                            This is just an opinion, there are no such conditions placed on marrying a woman from the People of the Book.

If you feel I have said anything incorrect and have stronger evidenve to show that then please forgive me as I am still learning.
                            You have added conditions to the permission which are not associated with the permission to marry. We cannot add conditions to the Halal to make it Haram.

Comment

Originally posted by R0nin View Post
                              This is just an opinion, there are no such conditions placed on marrying a woman from the People of the Book.

You have added conditions to the permission which are not associated with the permission to marry. We cannot add conditions to the Halal to make it Haram.
                              I was trying to explain what would be most ideal in my opinion to tackle the problem beforehand so the sister knows what she is getting herself into. I know it's not something they have to do. They aren't really conditions they both can come into a mutual agreement about the marriage to what suits them best.

Comment

Working...
                              X