• Show
Clear All

Re: Mahr fatimi

Originally posted by Maghrebia00 View Post
    halal bag of jelly babies
    Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post
    some Halal Jellybabies ...
    Originally posted by عبد المنعم View Post
    I am giving her some halal jelly babies.
    What.... are..... JELLY BABIES ! ? ! ? ! ?

:vomit:
    ○○Sabr... is like swallowing something bitter without showing any distaste on your face.○○ -Imam Junaid

Comment

Originally posted by Grimmjow View Post
      I'm a bit of a history buff, and I read that dowry was called a "bride price" where the man paid the dad for his daughter, I think. It was back in the days where women were still considered property.
      Perhaps that's where the stigma against "dowry" stems from.
      Originally posted by sabah suleiman View Post
      Where did you get that from? :scratch:

Dowry back in the days was something a wife paid to the husband.

That's why men used to seek out the rich ladies from high classes.

The richer she is the higher the dowry for husband would be
      In european culture (christianity) the dowry was a man paying the father to buy the daughter. There are still groups of christians who practice this.

But my mother is a feminist and finds it insulting when men offer money to women for any reason, even to pay the household bills; she equates it to prostitution.

Comment

lol, you know what's funny, is the culture whereby the Father of the bride used to pay for the entire wedding. Still goes on in some places, but the financial climate has made them finally see common sense. Islamically however, the Mahr and Walima are of the Sunnah in marriage and the only real Islamic components. The rest are cultural traditions of giving the bride a day before the walima etc.
        I write novels for posts. Beware. :mujahida:

Ummah Forum seems pretty black and white. Was thinking of offering Skittles as Dawah to introduce a rainbow.

Comment

Originally posted by Constant Hope View Post
          lol, you know what's funny, is the culture whereby the Father of the bride used to pay for the entire wedding. Still goes on in some places, but the financial climate has made them finally see common sense. Islamically however, the Mahr and Walima are of the Sunnah in marriage and the only real Islamic components. The rest are cultural traditions of giving the bride a day before the walima etc.
          Which Culture is that? :scratch:

as far as I'm aware it is typically split between both parties (bride & bridegroom side) ... at least amongst the asian Muslims ...
          http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

Imam al-Shafii (Rahimahullah)

Comment

as far as I'm aware it is typically split between both parties (bride & bridegroom side) ... at least amongst the asian Muslims ...
            i cant believe this...

OUR CULTURE!!

kita khoiram tume? kichu sinonane??

the brides family pays for wedding day.

although i don't plan to go through any of this nonsense :insha:.

masjid, khalas.
            Last edited by عبد المنعم; 23-04-14, 01:35 AM.
            70 scholars issued fatawas that Imam Ahmad b. Hanbal should be executed! That was the popular opinion back then, don't be fooled by popular opinion today! - Ahmad Musa jibreel

Tawheed Series - click

Comment

It used to happen in the US.

In Muslim culture, I think it's typically split, but South Asians sometimes engage in a 'dowry' that is paid to the man. Which is haram

In south Asian culture, usually I see the woman have her day and paid by her family who invite all their own friends and family, and then a walima where we invite all the male side and only the closest friends/family on the brides side. Of course, many are familiar with this 50/50 type split situation.
              I write novels for posts. Beware. :mujahida:

Ummah Forum seems pretty black and white. Was thinking of offering Skittles as Dawah to introduce a rainbow.

Comment

Originally posted by |Sister| View Post
                She calls it a dowry even though she knows a mahr is only for the wife. She finds a man giving a woman money for marriage insulting/degrading to the woman.
                yeah I used to get the same until the issue of rings came up

I likened the dowry/mahr to an engagement ring ie man has to buy it for the woman to show his intention, can be very expensive a few hundred to thousands , if she breaks off engagement she returns ring if he does he doesn't ask for it

it helped explain in my situation anyway

Comment

Comment

The thing is I like the idea of asking for mahr fatimi but if the groom is well off and I end up having to buy all my own wedding stuff, arrange the nikah etc then I want more money from him afterwards to make up for it.

But if someone didn't have much money then of course I wouldn't expect much as long as he then wasn't asking for a lot in terms of reception etc, it works both ways

Comment

mahr of hadhrat fatima r.a or anything else.... doesn't even have to be money, I would ask him to recite quran, by heart, infront of everyone instead!lol JK

Comment

Originally posted by sabah suleiman View Post
                        Where did you get that from? :scratch:

Dowry back in the days was something a wife paid to the husband.

That's why men used to seek out the rich ladies from high classes.

The richer she is the higher the dowry for husband would be
                        I think that's in India, but it was different in England, US, etc.
                        Fabi-ayyiala -i rabbikuma tukaththibani
                        Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8DR8frP_s

You are not here just to fill space or to be a background character in someone else's movie. Consider this: nothing would be the same if you did not exist. Every place you have ever been and everyone you have ever spoken to would be different without you. We are all connected, and we are all affected by the decisions and even the existence of those around us.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1 View Post
                          My dad would accept a $1.. I wouldn't mind either. I'm not marrying a guy to get every penny he has so why ask for much.
                          Mashallah sis why aren't there more off you around? ....

Comment

Working...
                          X