Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brothers: Would you pay off your wife's student loan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brothers: Would you pay off your wife's student loan?

:salams

I was wondering about this.

If you married a sister and she had a student loan, would you help her pay it off?

Keep in mind many sisters take such a loan to go to university and then get married afterwards and so won't be working. This means they won't be able to clear this debt and will be stuck with it.
    Yes. I'll help her pay it off.
    54.35%
    No. It's her loan so she should pay it off.
    23.91%
    I wouldn't marry someone with such a loan.
    17.39%
    I don't know.
    4.35%

Re: Brothers: Would you pay off your wife's student loan?

of course.
    لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid b. Walid View Post
      :salams

I was wondering about this.

If you married a sister and she had a student loan, would you help her pay it off?

Keep in mind many sisters take such a loan to go to university and then get married afterwards and so won't be working. This means they won't be able to clear this debt and will be stuck with it.
      take a loan to go to uni and then be a housewife. I would be very reluctant.

depends on how big the loan is I guess and also what she studied.
      "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

Originally posted by samin62 View Post
        take a loan to go to uni and then be a housewife. I would be very reluctant.

depends on how big the loan is I guess and also what she studied.
        These are big loans. Degrees in the UK are usually three years and it costs £9,000 per year. So thats £27,000 we are talking about.

Comment

:wswrwb:

Let's flip it around. ......if the sister has assets of her own, her own halaal income etc etc

Would he have any qualms about her using that money on the family and family home?

Arent you supposed to share the good AND bad?
          وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us, for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

In the US, there is no running away from student loans. So, she will have to work to pay it off, or an agreement with her husband. If they don't they can seize bak accounts, tax refunds, etc. It can be a nightmare. So choose wisely if you want a student loan (in the US) .
            Fabi-ayyiala -i rabbikuma tukaththibani
            Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8DR8frP_s

You are not here just to fill space or to be a background character in someone else's movie. Consider this: nothing would be the same if you did not exist. Every place you have ever been and everyone you have ever spoken to would be different without you. We are all connected, and we are all affected by the decisions and even the existence of those around us.

Comment

IF the husband is okay with wife working, then she can pay off her own loan,
              But IF he insists she doesn't work after marriage, then he needs to pay it off for her.
              Gone with the wind.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenicca View Post
                :wswrwb:

Let's flip it around. ......if the sister has assets of her own, her own halaal income etc etc

Would he have any qualms about her using that money on the family and family home?

Arent you supposed to share the good AND bad?
                Not really comparable though. The wife spending on the family home is the now and present.

The student loan is something from prior to marriage. If you want a better example then it would be the husband buying a car on finance prior to marriage and the question would be should the wife use her assets to assist him to pay it off.

Comment

My earlier post was just a thought. ...

...although I personally wouldn't expect anyone to pay off any of my debt if I had it.
                  وَالْعَصْرِ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us, for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

I think it's a bit unfair on the husband but obviously he should help if she's struggling to pay it off,
                    it's a very hot topic, I wouldn't say yes straight away if I was to pay for my husband's loan
                    'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Not really comparable though. The wife spending on the family home is the now and present.

The student loan is something from prior to marriage. If you want a better example then it would be the husband buying a car on finance prior to marriage and the question would be should the wife use her assets to assist him to pay it off.
                      But what if her assets were amassed prior to marriage. ....... so even spending in the present is beyond her haqq!
                      وَالْعَصْرِ

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

Depends on the amount I have. If I was extremely wealthy, of course, I wouldn't mind. :)
                        8 powerful habits to succeed

1. Wake up early!
                        2. Do it as soon as possible, you could die tonight so make the best of today
                        3. Remember your life is unique, don't compare yourself to others. Use that jealousy as an energy to make your life a success"
                        4. Have healthy habits. Set a time each day to exercise. Try with the mindset you're only going to do some jumping jacks for 5 seconds and the next thing you know, you're doing a workout!
                        5. Read, read, read. Ponder over the Qur'an, learn more. Put the idiot box (TV) away
                        6. Take note. Desires make slaves out of kings and patience makes kings out of slaves.
                        7. Results aren't just worldly. Results are also about perseverance, retaining dignity, being honest, being honourable, doing good unto others.
                        8. Always encourage others especially our brothers and sisters, let them know making mistakes is okay, we all make mistakes, do not ever undermine them and make them feel incompetent. This is also true for the dunya, so what if they don't get the maths sum right the first time, that is what LEARNING is.

NEW UPDATE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJubtizAEfU

Watch this when you're distressed!

Comment

Student loans consist of riba
                          ▪️••• 〰 Say what you wish in abuse of me, for my silence towards the idiot is indeed an answer. I am not at a loss for a response, but rather it does not befit the lion to answer the dogs. 〰 •••▪️

~ IMAM SHAFI'I RH

Comment

These are big loans. Degrees in the UK are usually three years and it costs £9,000 per year. So thats £27,000 we are talking about.
                            That debt is a bit to heavy, that is multi year debt to pay off if you are working to take care of family plus the debt. Ideally I would not enter into it.

I gave up certain things in life because I don't want a debt hanging over my head, I prefer to stay away from it.
                            "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

Originally posted by Hannahk92 View Post
                              Student loans consist of riba
                              Not all. We get student loan without riba over here , Alhamdulillah :)
                              The only time we have to pay riba is IF we leave the country without paying the loan off first.
                              Gone with the wind.

Comment

Working...
                              X