Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brothers: Would you pay off your wife's student loan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brothers: Would you pay off your wife's student loan?

Yes. I'll help her pay it off.
    54.35%
    No. It's her loan so she should pay it off.
    23.91%
    I wouldn't marry someone with such a loan.
    17.39%
    I don't know.
    4.35%
    :salams

I was wondering about this.

If you married a sister and she had a student loan, would you help her pay it off?

Keep in mind many sisters take such a loan to go to university and then get married afterwards and so won't be working. This means they won't be able to clear this debt and will be stuck with it.

• Serinity
    replied
    Re: Brothers: Would you pay off your wife's student loan?

No loans. I don't get it. Loans are bad.

Allahu alam.

Leave a comment:

• m7md
    replied

The main problem is not student loans,
    it is y do people have to pay so much to study, especially women,
    and y does society demand women to work ,,

Leave a comment:

• iRepIslam
    replied
    Brothers: Would you pay off your wife's student loan?

SubhanAllah true true

Leave a comment:

• RaNdOm
    replied

I think no man should pay off his wife's loan and no woman should expect it. She knew what she was getting into when she went to university and that is a heavy burden for her husband to carry. Of course if she is really struggling and has repented for taking one out, then he should try and help her as much as she can but I feel like she should still pay him back.

That is such a horrible feeling to be indebted to someone. She should not want that on herself firstly. But if she has no options then she should demonstrate her integrity throughout the whole process.

It's scary how the most pious people change when it comes to business, really really scary

Leave a comment:

• oshirowanen
    replied

Isn't it a sin to pay riba? By paying for her student loan, doesn't that mean she's offloading her sin onto him? If that is the case, she doesn't sound very nice if that is what she wants/expects.

Leave a comment:

• m7md
    replied

Originally posted by Khalid b. Walid View Post

If you married a sister and she had a student loan, would you help her pay it off?

Keep in mind many sisters take such a loan to go to university and then get married afterwards and so won't be working. This means they won't be able to clear this debt and will be stuck with it.
    Not sure how loans work,
    but its better not to marry someone taking loans in riba/interest

Leave a comment:

• Linkdeutscher
    replied

Originally posted by Stoic Believer View Post
    Do you know of the ruling on a husband paying off his wife's riba based loan? Is that permissible?
    He probably thinks they are fine to begin with.

Leave a comment:

• DieBytheSword
    replied

she can pay her own loan

Leave a comment:

• Ikki
    replied

Originally posted by Khalid b. Walid View Post

This is a very important question for people to be thinking about when they are looking to get married. The girl's family should have a plan of paying the loan back, the guys should know before hadn if their wife is stuck with debt and how much.

I don't know how much the student debt is these days, but surely it can be paid off by cutting costs of the wedding, dress, fancy venue, fancy decoration etc etc.

It's a very sad thought that these days couples are starting their married life in debt.

Leave a comment:

• Ekoor
    replied

Originally posted by LA3 View Post
    AsSalaamu Alaikum

Generally, a debt is a debt and In Shaa Allah i would aid anyone who is under my guardianship with their debt. May Allah make it easy and be pleased with us.

However, I would have serious questions for the potential interms of her thoughts on riba and motivations for taking this avenue of finance.

The weight of Allah's words are heavy and we affirm that He alone is our provider.
    This...

Leave a comment:

• Creamcake
    replied

If he did then wow he's definitely a keeper :) lol joke, I wouldn't expect my husband to, because I made a mistake by going to university for over a year, and the reason that I'm working full time right now is to get that paid off before I married.. I wouldn't work in this job for fun lol. It might take years yes.. but my sin, I pay for it.. why burden another.. unless I find a husband who genuinely offers, has the money, and doesn't mind, I guess I wouldn't refuse then. But then again I'm sure by the time I am mentally, emotionally, psychologically, physically and every other '..ally' there is lol, Insha ' Allah my loan will have been paid off. Unless I die before then.. that's my main concern.

Leave a comment:

• brothernd
    replied

If I had the money, then yes. If not, obviously no.

My wife has rights that I feed her etc. My parents have rights over me. Once I meet those rights, then I can see the money left over. If I have money left over, I'd likely help pay it off, but I would be disappointed that she hid this from me (because I would likely not marry a woman who had debt or moreso was about to pay interest)

Leave a comment:

• Ya'sin
    replied

The question should be...

Brothers: would you pay for a mahr?

-No, i'll be feeding her after marriage
    -No, I only have a date to offer that is half eaten and fatimi mahr and all
    -No, she's working, it's the 21st century, she THE WIFE should be paying ME THE MAHR.

YOU decide :up:

Leave a comment:

• Ya'sin
    replied

No

I wouldn't pay for her student loan.

^ There you go. I made it easy for you all. Honesty is the best policy and if I was a dude then that would be my answer. If she doesn't have the capacity to do anything else but wave a certificate around, I don't have time for that, I have other issues to worry about like paying for a living, the gas bills, electricity bills, food, the bare necessities.

I didn't marry a woman to pay off her loan that I didn't ask for. It's not compulsory and my real question would be why the heck did you even study if you knew that you wouldn't be able to pay for it?

I'm not the Bank of England. :rotfl:

This is a funny thread. Lets sort the mahr issue out first, I mean we can't even get through that hurdle and here we are talking about something that can be easily avoided and is totally unnecessary for a woman to request unless the guy is a complete looney and would rather be a mug.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X