Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brothers: Would you pay off your wife's student loan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brothers: Would you pay off your wife's student loan?

Originally posted by Radec View Post
    Was referring to your friend. How much were your university fees BTW?
    https://sufisticated101.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by amirkhan780 View Post
      Again if that's your sole intention on specifically marrying that particular guy, that's a gold digger, no? Most of us brothers aren't as privileged to be born into wealth and have loans or have to pay back our family for the generosity they have provided us with paying for our outrageously expensive tuition. And I'm not sure of the euro to US conversion, but tuition in America is ridicuously and seriously overpriced
      Paying off loans being the sole intention on marrying a specific guy? From where did you get that from my posts??

My first post in the entire thread was that, it's not the husbands job to pay off his wives loans.

But I do know that, husband and wives naturally have mercy and compassion for each other. I know for a fact, that IF my husband was very wealthy when we got married and IF I had entered marriage with a loan on my head. He wouldn't hesitate to pay it off.

And I would do the same for him, if the roles were reversed.

Accepting money from your partner. Doesn't make either one a goldigger.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by LondonGal View Post
          Paying off loans being the sole intention on marrying a specific guy? From where did you get that from my posts??

My first post in the entire thread was that, it's not the husbands job to pay off his wives loans.

But I do know that, husband and wives naturally have mercy and compassion for each other. I know for a fact, that IF my husband was very wealthy when we got married and IF I had entered marriage with a loan on my head. He wouldn't hesitate to pay it off.

And I would do the same for him, if the roles were reversed.

Accepting money from your partner. Doesn't make either one a goldigger.
          I see where you're trying to get at, but the percentage of guys who have that sort of cash at hand is a very very low percentage. If i had that kind of money, I would make sure I would pay off my wive's loans if I had the funds. You should also keep in mind that brothers at that age are trying to upgrade from renting an apartment towards becoming a homeowner so funds can be extremely tight at that moment. But I probably am not going to have that kind of financial capability to pay off loans with one big lump sum, and I would want to help pay off some of those loans before serious interest was compounded, but I would expect some help on her part. Honestly, it should be about teamwork, not expecting one party or the other party to do everything so I agree with you on that part.

And expecting the government to dissolve those kind of loans with time is a bit disturbing. That seems wrong on so many levels and I consider that to be on par with "cheating."

But then again, it also comes down to the girl's family. I've met quite a few fathers that seem to be a bit ignorant and marry their daughters off for wealth than for a hardworking compassionate soul.

Comment

I see where you're trying to get at, but the percentage of guys who have that sort of cash at hand is a very very low percentage. If i had that kind of money, I would make sure I would pay off my wive's loans if I had the funds. You should also keep in mind that brothers at that age are trying to upgrade from renting an apartment towards becoming a homeowner so funds can be extremely tight at that moment. But I probably am not going to have that kind of financial capability to pay off loans with one big lump sum, and I would want to help pay off some of those loans before serious interest was compounded, but I would expect some help on her part. Honestly, it should be about teamwork, not expecting one party or the other party to do everything so I agree with you on that part.

And expecting the government to dissolve those kind of loans with time is a bit disturbing. That seems wrong on so many levels and I consider that to be on par with "cheating."

But then again, it also comes down to the girl's family. I've met quite a few fathers that seem to be a bit ignorant and marry their daughters off for wealth than for a hardworking compassionate soul.
            I agree with you about trying to get out of paying loans. It's wrong to look for loopholes.

And yes, most men at that age don't have that kind of money lying around. My husband hasn't, nor have any men I know in my family.

However, I live in the UAE, where plenty of guys are working in the financial sector and earning a tax free salary. (Most of the people in my circle are under 30), and alh they are in a position to do this for their wives. And they do so happily, I respect those men. Even though, they don't have to do it.

But I know I wouldn't leave my husband in debt, if I had the means to help him out. I care about him too much to leave him in a state where some scholars say, that even the funeral prayer not be performed on a person who dies with a debt on his head. Until his family pays it off.

And naturally, it's the same the other way round.

Comment

Originally posted by Radec View Post
              In Islam, you are not allowed to be in debt to anyone.

Haraam or not, debts have to be cleared.
              indeed,

:jkk:
              http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Comment

Originally posted by in_exile View Post
                The issue is not taking the loan in the first place. That has already been done. The issue is now what is worse. Paying riba or not paying the loan that as per the conditions of the loan you are under no obligation to pay. The contract itself states that you do not have to pay it back if you do not earn. On the other hand you are going out of your way to pay interest which makes no sense.
                But at what point is the sin on the interest gained.

Is it gained when you are charged the interest or when you pay it?

Take a credit card with a 5% monthly interest rate as an example. Will you be getting the sin every month the 5% interest hits the balance or only when you decide to pay the accrued amount?

If the latter then would it be better to pay the initial borrowed amount and choose to default on the outstanding interest?

So in the case of a student loan will there be sin gained when the interest hits the balance on a regular basis regardless when it is due to be paid, or is the sin gained only when you pay it?

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid b. Walid View Post
                  :salams

I was wondering about this.

If you married a sister and she had a student loan, would you help her pay it off?

Keep in mind many sisters take such a loan to go to university and then get married afterwards and so won't be working. This means they won't be able to clear this debt and will be stuck with it.
                  :wswrwb:

Firstly, everyone is responsible for their own debt and should always bear that in mind.

Secondly if she is not working or earning above the threshold then there is no obligation to pay it off. After 15/20 years, it is automatically cleared.

It is also automatically cleared by student finance if he/she dies ... This is all in the contract.

Personally I don't really agree with women/sisters going to mixed universities, but that's another issue!

Allahu A'lam

Comment

Originally posted by MWarrior View Post
                    :wswrwb:

Firstly, everyone is responsible for their own debt and should always bear that in mind.

Secondly if she is not working or earning above the threshold then there is no obligation to pay it off. After 15/20 years, it is automatically cleared.

It is also automatically cleared by student finance if he/she dies ... This is all in the contract.

Personally I don't really agree with women/sisters going to mixed universities, but that's another issue!

Allahu A'lam
                    The writing-off of the debt is a separate issue to the interest though.

If sin is gained everytime the Student Loan Company charges interest on you then you will be gaining sin for the x years till it gets written off. In that case the only way to free yourself from that riba is to prevent the interest being charged is to pay off the loan.

On the hand if sin is not gained when the SLC charge gou interest then you don't have that problem.

That's why I asked the earlier question at which point is the sin of interest gained: at the point it is accrued or at the point it is paid?

The write-off is a separate issue to this and more to do with will you still be accountable for it if you die with it unpaid.

Comment

The writing-off of the debt is a separate issue to the interest though.

If sin is gained everytime the Student Loan Company charges interest on you then you will be gaining sin for the x years till it gets written off. In that case the only way to free yourself from that riba is to prevent the interest being charged is to pay off the loan.

On the hand if sin is not gained when the SLC charge gou interest then you don't have that problem.

That's why I asked the earlier question at which point is the sin of interest gained: at the point it is accrued or at the point it is paid?

The write-off is a separate issue to this and more to do with will you still be accountable for it if you die with it unpaid.
                      The Interest starts from the moment SF make the payment. The debt is automatically cleared so nobody has to pay anything if one dies.

Btw loans given before 2012 are not interest based, or so they say. If you look at the contract then you will see the different terms etc. Basically the new loans (after 2012) are a lot more expensive and you end up paying back a lot more compared to someone who had a loan from 2008 etc.

Finally, some scholars (legit ones, lol no dodgy ones) have allowed tution fee loans (not maintenance loans) so people should respect that before saying 'Haraam'.

Again, I don't think women should attend mixed universities and this is the opinion of many scholars. Allahu A'lam

Comment

But at what point is the sin on the interest gained.

Is it gained when you are charged the interest or when you pay it?

Take a credit card with a 5% monthly interest rate as an example. Will you be getting the sin every month the 5% interest hits the balance or only when you decide to pay the accrued amount?

If the latter then would it be better to pay the initial borrowed amount and choose to default on the outstanding interest?

So in the case of a student loan will there be sin gained when the interest hits the balance on a regular basis regardless when it is due to be paid, or is the sin gained only when you pay it?
                        Hence why I asked which is the worse sin paying interest or accruing interest.

Now from what I understand their are two sins involved for the debtor in this contract

1) agreeing to take money in return of interest
                        2) paying the interest

As the woman has already done number 1 it's too late for that. So the only part left to do is number 2. I dont see how sstill being in a contract is worse than paying the interest.

What is most defo Italy better is going to the loan company and saying I've got not intention to work ever so your never getting your money back u less you accept my offer from my husband to pay back the initial loan only no interest.
                        FEAR ALLAH (SWT) AS HE DESERVES TO BE FEARED!!!
                        OH Allah help your slaves in As Sham
                        Donate to syria.
                        *Sisters please do not rep or PM me as my wife will kill me so rep her instead*

Comment

The Interest starts from the moment SF make the payment. The debt is automatically cleared so nobody has to pay anything if one dies.

Btw loans given before 2012 are not interest based, or so they say. If you look at the contract then you will see the different terms etc. Basically the new loans (after 2012) are a lot more expensive and you end up paying back a lot more compared to someone who had a loan from 2008 etc.

Finally, some scholars (legit ones, lol no dodgy ones) have allowed tution fee loans (not maintenance loans) so people should respect that before saying 'Haraam'.

Again, I don't think women should attend mixed universities and this is the opinion of many scholars. Allahu A'lam
                          So it's okay for men? Interesting...

Comment

This topic reminded me that I'll definitely need to ask any potentials about student loans.

Comment

So it's okay for men? Interesting...
                              I've been told the scholars are unanimous with it not being permissible for sisters to attend a mixed uni ... And for brothers there is ikhtilaaf/difference of opinion.

Please don't anyone start talking about 'inequality' now and why are women 'discriminated' against! etc :)

Comment

I've been told the scholars are unanimous with it not being permissible for sisters to attend a mixed uni ... And for brothers there is ikhtilaaf/difference of opinion.

Please don't anyone start talking about 'inequality' now and why are women 'discriminated' against! etc :)
                                Yeah, I don't want to go on about inequality, but it's just a bit odd to say it's wrong for sisters and okay for brothers? There's no easy way to put it, but this is modern day and a lot of things are mixed so you can't expect to go home and hide yourself from these sort of things. I mean, many of us are living in a "white man's world" (sorry for saying) but we can't expect everything to go our ways. You should go out and fulfill your deen and try your best to ignore the haraam whether brother or sister.

Comment

Working...
                                X