Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brothers: Would you pay off your wife's student loan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brothers: Would you pay off your wife's student loan?

Originally posted by LondonGal View Post
    Yep. I'm from the UK.

I didn't go to med school. So I don't know how long it takes to complete the course.

But my friends and I didn't graduate 10 years ago. We're all in our mid-late twenties.

Plus, loans vary according to those who lived on campus/those who lived out and purchased loads of books etc the latter tend to take a lot more frm student loan companies to make ends meet. On top of just what they need for student fees.
    Was referring to your friend. How much were your university fees BTW?

Comment

Originally posted by amirkhan780 View Post
      Again if that's your sole intention on specifically marrying that particular guy, that's a gold digger, no? Most of us brothers aren't as privileged to be born into wealth and have loans or have to pay back our family for the generosity they have provided us with paying for our outrageously expensive tuition. And I'm not sure of the euro to US conversion, but tuition in America is ridicuously and seriously overpriced
      Indeed - student debt is insane in the US. But you're studying medicine mA so you are guaranteed to have a comfortable salary once you conquer residency ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Radec View Post
        Indeed - student debt is insane in the US. But you're studying medicine mA so you are guaranteed to have a comfortable salary once you conquer residency ;)
        Let's see how much my total college expenses has been to get a ballpark estimate for some sisters for them to see how expensive college is:

30k* 4 for my undergradute,

60k* 4 for my medical school

not including living expenses, BUTTTT I get to work a minimum wage job iA called residency for 5 years and 1 more if I want to specialize

Maybe just maybe with a little dua, I'll make that comfortable salary one day. But hey, I'll be about 35 years old by then. Maybe just maybe I'll look to get married since sisters expect brothers to pay off their entire loans they accumulated on their own prior to getting married.

and im one of hte lucky ones allahdumillah. some brothers had to take out loans. medical school interest loans are 6.8% and if I had loans like that I'd be oh I don't know, around 50 to have paid that off?

And some sisters just expect brothers to pay that off with "one big lump sum"
        Last edited by amirkhan780; 02-12-13, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Let's see how much my total college expenses has been to get a ballpark estimate for some sisters for them to see how expensive college is:

30k* 4 for my undergradute,

60k* 4 for my medical school

not including living expenses, BUTTTT I get to work a minimum wage job iA called residency for 5 years and 1 more if I want to specialize

Maybe just maybe with a little dua, I'll make that comfortable salary one day. But hey, I'll be about 35 years old by then. Maybe just maybe I'll look to get married since sisters expect brothers to pay off their entire loans they accumulated on their own prior to getting married.

and im one of hte lucky ones allahdumillah. some brothers had to take out loans. medical school interest loans are 6.8% and if I had loans like that I'd be oh I don't know, around 50 to have paid that off?

And some sisters just expect brothers to pay that off with "one big lump sum"
          So if you started at the age of 18 shouldn't you be finishing at 26? I assume that is when you start pre-med. (18 + 4 = 22 + 4 = 26). You said you were 24 and going to residency.

Comment

So if you started at the age of 18 shouldn't you be finishing at 26? I assume that is when you start pre-med. (18 + 4 = 22 + 4 = 26). You said you were 24 and going to residency.
            I started school early at 4 and finsihed high school and started undergrad at 17 graduated at 21. I turn 25 on the 17th so I'm a "year ahead" if you want to say it like that. So I'll be 25 when I start residency

Comment

I started school early at 4 and finsihed high school and started undergrad at 17 graduated at 21. I turn 25 on the 17th so I'm a "year ahead" if you want to say it like that. So I'll be 25 when I start residency
              That's pretty sweet. Nice.

Comment

That's pretty sweet. Nice.
                Yeah, but the problem is I always wanted to get married young (early 20's) that's damn impossible than how it used to be in the past where you basically inherited a piece of land and worked a farm off that. Nowadays you need a high level of education to work and to provide in order to be a "breadtaker."

No wonder a lot of guys my age undergo a lot of adultery during their college years. Allahdumillah I kept out of it, but geez, if a boy hits puberty at 13 and you expect him to have a full out job at 28, ya wonder what's gonna happen if you tell him to hold in his "urges" especially the way some girls dress these days.

Easier said for a sister since college is completely optional, brothers have to go through that no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post
                  both are a Sin,

however Debts have to be paid, if you wish to be free of it ...

if you want to play with fire and accumulate a Lifetime of Riba than that's your choice you will have to live with the consequences,
                  Whats worse? Paying Riba or owing money which your under no obligation to payback?
                  FEAR ALLAH (SWT) AS HE DESERVES TO BE FEARED!!!
                  OH Allah help your slaves in As Sham
                  Donate to syria.
                  *Sisters please do not rep or PM me as my wife will kill me so rep her instead*

Comment

Originally posted by in_exile View Post
                    Whats worse? Paying Riba or owing money which your under no obligation to payback?
                    Under No Obligation to pay back?

so your saying that I can go into a bank get a Filthy Riba based Loan because "I don't intend to pay it back" ?

You can't justify one Evil with another akhi ...

It's better to be free of the Filth of Riba asap than to carry it till death or for 25 or 35 or whatever number of years ...
                    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Comment

so your saying that I can go into a bank get a Filthy Riba based Loan because "I don't intend to pay it back" ?

It's better to be free of the Filth of Riba asap than to carry it till death or for 25 or 35 or whatever number of years ...
                      In Islam, you are not allowed to be in debt to anyone.

Haraam or not, debts have to be cleared.

Comment

In Islam, you are not allowed to be in debt to anyone.

Haraam or not, debts have to be cleared.
                        You can be in debt, just don't die while in debt.
                        And if you do die in debt, your family or the community should come together and help relieve that debt.
                        Not even shahadah can remove the burden of debt.
                        But if you truly try your best and die before it is cleared, Allah may take care of it for you if He so wills
                        Collection of Arabic Learning material and Islamic Books

Away for a bit :wavey:

Comment

The issue is not taking the loan in the first place. That has already been done. The issue is now what is worse. Paying riba or not paying the loan that as per the conditions of the loan you are under no obligation to pay. The contract itself states that you do not have to pay it back if you do not earn. On the other hand you are going out of your way to pay interest which makes no sense.
                          Donate to syria.

Comment

Originally posted by in_exile View Post
                            The issue is not taking the loan in the first place. That has already been done. The issue is now what is worse. Paying riba or not paying the loan that as per the conditions of the loan you are under no obligation to pay. The contract itself states that you do not have to pay it back if you do not earn. On the other hand you are going out of your way to pay interest which makes no sense.
                            What you need to realise is that the sooner you pay off the loan, the less interest you incur.

If you don't pay anything, then the interest will compound and you will have to pay one hell of a fee. It will be worse if the loaner enters a legal battle because you refuse to pay back the money.

Comment

This doesn't make any sense to me. You guys are trying to shorthand your own bank therefore you, yourself being corrupt because you took out a loan, refuse to pay it, and simply want it dissolved? And you guys are trying to find a loophole to not pay back any of the loan?

I'm pretty sure that itself is haraam because you're trying to cheat the system that's trying to provide an equal opportunity to those who actually need that loan in order to get a degree to get a job.

Common sense dictates that if you took out the loan, you should probably pay it back and whatever the terms were that you signed....

Edit: I just ran through some of the math and you guys in the UK seem to being a bit less for education than us over here in the US. A lot of graduate school loans have an interst rate of about 6%. Our only noninterest bearing loans are a few avaliable during undergraduate, while the majority beign interest bearing. For example, President Obama and First lady Obama only finsihed paying off their loans a few years ago.
                              Last edited by amirkhan780; 03-12-13, 01:53 PM.

Comment

What you need to realise is that the sooner you pay off the loan, the less interest you incur.

If you don't pay anything, then the interest will compound and you will have to pay one hell of a fee. It will be worse if the loaner enters a legal battle because you refuse to pay back the money.
                                Doesnt work like that for student loans. They only become eligible to pay if you earn above a threshold. So if the wife is never gnna work she will never pay a penny. If she reaches a certain age or dies its wiped off.
                                Donate to syria.

Comment

Working...
                                X