Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brothers: Would you pay off your wife's student loan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brothers: Would you pay off your wife's student loan?

Originally posted by Radec View Post
    Indeed. It's pointless to pursue further education if you have no intention of using it. A colossal waste of time and money.
    Exactly, if your family can afford it, go do it, but if you have to take out a ton of loans and expect the burden on another just because you want to marry a "better" husband, what have you achieved at the end of the day? Meaning, if a husband wanted a SAHM, why should it even matter if a girl is college bound or not

And as far as dissolving loans, I don't know how it works in the UK, but in the US, the loans don't dissolve. You're stuck with them.

Comment

Originally posted by amirkhan780 View Post
      Exactly, if your family can afford it, go do it, but if you have to take out a ton of loans and expect the burden on another just because you want to marry a "better" husband, what have you achieved at the end of the day? Meaning, if a husband wanted a SAHM, why should it even matter if a girl is college bound or not

And as far as dissolving loans, I don't know how it works in the UK, but in the US, the loans don't dissolve. You're stuck with them.
      It matters to some men.

One of my closest friends is a doctor (got married just after qualifying). Her husband is a lawyer. She's now a stay at home mom. Her husband paid her entire loan off last year in one lump sum. After just one year of marriage.

Alh not all men are the same.
      https://sufisticated101.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by LondonGal View Post
        It matters to some men.

One of my closest friends is a doctor (got married just after qualifying). Her husband is a lawyer. She's now a stay at home mom. Her husband paid her entire loan off last year in one lump sum. After just one year of marriage.

Alh not all men are the same.
        If you can afford it, why not? But I'm not sure what you would do with a college degree and how it's useful to be a homemaker?

I'm not sure what you expect in a guy for marriage when starting salaries aren't enough to buy a house, buy nice cars, buy huge diamond rings, and being able to pay off loans? Startin salaries are just that, starting, so I'm going to assume that there is a huge age gap between the couple if he could afford to pay off her medical school loans in a year.

Islam teaches us to get married young, easier for a girl, but how exactly does that even work for a guy? By the time he's all said and done with college, professional school, been in the workplace for a few years, saved enough money to pay back his own loans and now you girls expect him to have enough money to pay back his wife's, have a nice car, own home. How old do you even think a guy has to be to save enough money and be established careerwise for all that to happen? 35? 40?
        Last edited by amirkhan780; 02-12-13, 06:02 PM.

Comment

If you can afford it, why not? But I'm not sure what you would do with a college degree and how it's useful to be a homemaker?

I'm not sure what you expect in a guy for marriage when starting salaries aren't enough to buy a house, buy nice cars, buy huge diamond rings, and being able to pay off loans? Startin salaries are just that, starting, so I'm going to assume that there is a huge age gap between the couple if he could afford to pay off her medical school loans in a year.
          I have a degree. My husband married a working woman. Yet, it's inevitable that I would/have had periods in and out of employment for the sake of children. And some women have many kids, so being a homemaker takes over their life.

Or it doesn't financially make sense to put children in daycare or pay for nannies whilst they go to work (where I live school finishes at 2pm and most people in professional jobs, do not get off work at that time)

And regarding my friend and her husbands age gap. It's not huge. It's around 4years. And from what she tells me, she didn't expect him to pay for it. But he wanted to cos be loves her.

Comment

Originally posted by in_exile View Post
            It doesn't make sense what your saying.

Whether you pay 1 pound interest on 100 pound interest it's still interest. So what would you rather do be in a interest contract which you have no intention to pay or would you rather actually pay interest? Which is worse for you?
            both are a Sin,

however Debts have to be paid, if you wish to be free of it ...

if you want to play with fire and accumulate a Lifetime of Riba than that's your choice you will have to live with the consequences,
            http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

Comment

it's not just the Women, the Chief culprits the Men should also avoid this Filth ridden Riba Loan,

accumulating a little bit of wealth in Dunya, in return for the Punishment of Riba is not worth it,

:jkk:
              http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

Comment

I have a degree. My husband married a working woman. Yet, it's inevitable that I would/have had periods in and out of employment for the sake of children. And some women have many kids, so being a homemaker takes over their life.

Or it doesn't financially make sense to put children in daycare or pay for nannies whilst they go to work (where I live school finishes at 2pm and most people in professional jobs, do not get off work at that time)

And regarding my friend and her husbands age gap. It's not huge. It's around 4years. And from what she tells me, she didn't expect him to pay for it. But he wanted to cos be loves her.
                not sure how it is in the uk but in the us the average cost of medical school is 40k. so 40 multiplide by 4 is 160k, that doesnt keep in mind of living expenses or undergrad.

Not sure how many brothers have 160k in their bank accounts at a young age when they get married...

but if you come into a marriage EXPECTING your husband to pay off your loans in one lump sum, there's a word for that... it's called gold digger.
                Last edited by amirkhan780; 02-12-13, 06:37 PM.

Comment

not sure how it is in the uk but in the us the average cost of medical school is 40k. so 40 multiplide by 4 is 160k, that doesnt keep in mind of living expenses or undergrad.

Not sure how many brothers have 160k in their bank accounts at a young age when they get married...

but if you come into a marriage EXPECTING your husband to pay off your loans in one lump sum, there's a word for that... it's called gold digger.
                  I don't know the details about his savings/earnings or the med school debt that she had.

All I do know is that, she had a med school debt on her head. She quit work to raise their son. He had the means to pay off her loan. And he did it, without her even having to ask.

And she happens to be one of a number of my friends who have had their student loans happily paid off by their husbands. Alh for generous husbands.

Comment

Would you help her clear the loan?

Yah sure...I mean she always saying "what's mine is yours and what's yours is mine ;-)"

Comment

• #BeardGang

Comment

• Re: Brothers: Would you pay off your wife's student loan?

I don't know the details about his savings/earnings or the med school debt that she had.

All I do know is that, she had a med school debt on her head. She quit work to raise their son. He had the means to pay off her loan. And he did it, without her even having to ask.

And she happens to be one of a number of my friends who have had their student loans happily paid off by their husbands. Alh for generous husbands.

Comment

Originally posted by zi-zizou View Post
                          Would you help her clear the loan?

Yah sure...I mean she always saying "what's mine is yours and what's yours is mine ;-)"
                          Lols I think she meant to say whats mine is mine and whats yours is ours

Comment

Yep. I'm from the UK.

I didn't go to med school. So I don't know how long it takes to complete the course.

But my friends and I didn't graduate 10 years ago. We're all in our mid-late twenties.

Plus, loans vary according to those who lived on campus/those who lived out and purchased loads of books etc the latter tend to take a lot more frm student loan companies to make ends meet. On top of just what they need for student fees.
                            Last edited by LondonGal; 02-12-13, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Again if that's your sole intention on specifically marrying that particular guy, that's a gold digger, no? Most of us brothers aren't as privileged to be born into wealth and have loans or have to pay back our family for the generosity they have provided us with paying for our outrageously expensive tuition. And I'm not sure of the euro to US conversion, but tuition in America is ridicuously and seriously overpriced
                              Last edited by amirkhan780; 02-12-13, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Yep. I'm from the UK.

I didn't go to med school. So I don't know how long it takes to complete the course.

But my friends and I didn't graduate 10 years ago. We're all in our mid-late twenties.

Plus, loans vary according to those who lived on campus/those who lived out and purchased loads of books etc the latter tend to take a lot more frm student loan companies to make ends meet. On top of just what they need for student fees.
                                Was referring to your friend. How much were your university fees BTW?

Comment

Working...
                                X