Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brothers: Would you pay off your wife's student loan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brothers: Would you pay off your wife's student loan?

So in the UK all you have to do is not work, and then you don't have to pay your loan :confused: Here, you have 6 months grace period after graduation before you must pay, job or not. If you don't have a job, you can apply for a forebarance or deference, but you still get interest accuring and it's not indefinite.
    Fabi-ayyiala -i rabbikuma tukaththibani
    Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8DR8frP_s

You are not here just to fill space or to be a background character in someone else's movie. Consider this: nothing would be the same if you did not exist. Every place you have ever been and everyone you have ever spoken to would be different without you. We are all connected, and we are all affected by the decisions and even the existence of those around us.

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid b. Walid View Post
      She may not be legally obliged to pay however she is still tied to a riba-based contract which will remain with her indefinitely until she dies.

The only way to free herself from it and get herself out of this mess is to pay it off.

Imagine dying in a state where you are still entered into and a party to a riba-based agreement. Its a dangerous place to be in.

Also there is the other issue of interest. The sister will be charged interest at the rate of inflation at the minimum on an annual basis. It doesn't matter if it is not payable immediately. There is riba being charged to her name and this may continue to her death. Again this is a dangerous situation to be in.

So it makes perfect sense for a Muslimto want to wash their hands of this loan as soon as possible.
      I understand wanting to get rid of the worry of such a contract on your head. I just wanted to see some islamic evidence for it being a sin to not pay off a loan which doesn't have to be paid off. But yes, I fully understand the burden/worry of it all.

Comment

Originally posted by nousername View Post
        So in the UK all you have to do is not work, and then you don't have to pay your loan :confused: Here, you have 6 months grace period after graduation before you must pay, job or not. If you don't have a job, you can apply for a forebarance or deference, but you still get interest accuring and it's not indefinite.
        In the UK, you don't have to pay it off if you don't work and/or if you earn below a certain amount. Also, if you reach a certain age, the contract becomes void after which you can work and be on a high wage and you don't have to pay it off. But that's when you're really old, i.e. when you most likely can't get a job type of age / retirement type of age.

Comment

:salams

I was wondering about this.

If you married a sister and she had a student loan, would you help her pay it off?

Keep in mind many sisters take such a loan to go to university and then get married afterwards and so won't be working. This means they won't be able to clear this debt and will be stuck with it.
          Why would you be stupid enough to pay it off? It's automatically fur given after a certain amount of years or if she dies.
          FEAR ALLAH (SWT) AS HE DESERVES TO BE FEARED!!!
          OH Allah help your slaves in As Sham
          Donate to syria.
          *Sisters please do not rep or PM me as my wife will kill me so rep her instead*

Comment

Originally posted by in_exile View Post
            Why would you be stupid enough to pay it off? It's automatically fur given after a certain amount of years or if she dies.
            Look at post #75.

Comment

Originally posted by oshirowanen View Post
              In the UK, you don't have to pay it off if you don't work and/or if you earn below a certain amount. Also, if you reach a certain age, the contract becomes void after which you can work and be on a high wage and you don't have to pay it off. But that's when you're really old, i.e. when you most likely can't get a job type of age / retirement type of age.
              It is after 30 years it is written off. So one can graduate at 21 and at 51 it will be written off.

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow*~ View Post
                Dude has a point, even though I'd pay mine off just to be safe. The contract states you have to be earning a certain amount until you have to start paying off, if you don't earn that threshold figure and xyrs have lapsed then you're no longer required to pay the money back.
                I know but they don't write it off whilst your alive, they keep adding Interest to the Total Loan, till your Death (at which point it is written off) ...

who'd wan't to have the Filth of Riba on them till Death?

this is a Major Sin equivalent to committing 36 times Zina ...

Nauzubillah min zaliq.
                http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Comment

Originally posted by oshirowanen View Post
                  But technically, you're not paying the riba if you're never going to work. As far as I remember, it's a sin to pay someone riba, and it's a sin to receive riba payments if you give a loan to someone, and it's a sin for 2 or more people to be witnesses to a riba contract being signed.

So if you've already sinned by signing the riba contract, but you don't need to pay off the loan, why sin again by paying riba when you don't need to? Doesn't the sin only happen when you actually pay the riba? Does it matter if the riba figure increases when you don't have to pay it?

You could be right, I don't know, it's just something which came to mind when I read this thread. So out of curiosity, I asked the question, why does the loan have to be paid off if the loaner has explicitly said in the contract that it doesn't have to be paid off if you don't work? If you don't pay the loan which doesn't have to be paid, you don't need to sin by paying riba...?

But to answer the OP's question:

If she's not going to work ever and it's not a sin islamically to not pay off a loan where you're not breaking the contractual agreement, then I wouldn't pay it off for her

If she's not going to work ever and it is a sin islamically to not pay off a loan where you're not breaking the contractual agreement, then I would pay it off for her.

If she wanted to work for whatever reason, then yes, I would pay it off for her.
                  Akhi even though one doesn't have to pay the Loan if they arn't working, or work below the threshold ... the Loan is not written off whilst your alive.

Filthy Interest is accumulated to the total Loan till your Death, at which point it is written off.

hence if a Muslim wishes to be free of it, he/she has to pay it off asap.

:jkk:
                  Last edited by Saif-Uddin; 02-12-13, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Heres the conditions for the Student Loan to be written off, in England ...

http://www.slc.co.uk/services/loan-r...off-terms.aspx

If you took out your loan in England or Wales before 1st September 2012
                    and you:

• took out your first student loan in or before academic year 2005/06, then it will be cancelled when you turn 65; or

• took out your first student loan in or after academic year 2006/07, then it will be cancelled 25 years after you became eligible to repay

Those who don't intend to pay this Filthy Loan off, are seriously playing with fire,

Nauzubillah min zaliq, May Allah Ta'ala save us from the filth of Riba,

Comment

She may not be legally obliged to pay however she is still tied to a riba-based contract which will remain with her indefinitely until she dies.

The only way to free herself from it and get herself out of this mess is to pay it off.

Imagine dying in a state where you are still entered into and a party to a riba-based agreement. Its a dangerous place to be in.

Also there is the other issue of interest. The sister will be charged interest at the rate of inflation at the minimum on an annual basis. It doesn't matter if it is not payable immediately. There is riba being charged to her name and this may continue to her death. Again this is a dangerous situation to be in.

So it makes perfect sense for a Muslimto want to wash their hands of this loan as soon as possible.
                      Agreed.

It's not befitting for a Muslim to take thousands of pounds out in loans and then go out of their way to seek ways that they can avoid paying it.
                      https://sufisticated101.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gaia86 View Post
                        It is after 30 years it is written off. So one can graduate at 21 and at 51 it will be written off.
                        The write-off countdown only begins if she has had started repayments. So that could be 21 or 28 or 32 depending on when her salary hit the repayment threshold.

In the case of a woman who had never worked or never reached that level of salary then she has no write-off countdown - check bro Saif's link above.

Comment

Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post
                          Akhi even though one doesn't have to pay the Loan if they arn't working, or work below the threshold ... the Loan is not written off whilst your alive.

Filthy Interest is accumulated to the total Loan till your Death, at which point it is written off.

hence if a Muslim wishes to be free of it, he/she has to pay it off asap.

:jkk:
                          It doesn't make sense what your saying.

Whether you pay 1 pound interest on 100 pound interest it's still interest. So what would you rather do be in a interest contract which you have no intention to pay or would you rather actually pay interest? Which is worse for you?
                          FEAR ALLAH (SWT) AS HE DESERVES TO BE FEARED!!!
                          OH Allah help your slaves in As Sham
                          Donate to syria.
                          *Sisters please do not rep or PM me as my wife will kill me so rep her instead*

Comment

Originally posted by amirkhan780 View Post
                            If a mother herself is high school educated herself, she can help with a childs homework up until high school, right? I'm all for education, however, if a family requires you to take a loan out to pay for it, you should be expected to help pay it back yourself, and not rely on someone else for that loan. Otherwise, if a family can afford to pay for it, by all means, education is the answer.
                            Why are women going to university if there is no intention to work?

Comment

Originally posted by In my Opinion View Post
                              Why are women going to university if there is no intention to work?
                              Many sisters who I have spoken with are under the assumption that a college degree enables them to a better suitor.

To me, it makes no sense, if a woman had no intentions on working it serves no purpose. As a guy, it wouldnt matter to me if I wanted a wife to be a SAHM whether she was college educated or not.

Makes me wonder with the advent of genetic testing, what future spouses are going to look for.... I mean if a guy's searching for a wife that's college educated but to be a SAHM, what next?
                              Last edited by amirkhan780; 02-12-13, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Radec; 02-12-13, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X