Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brothers: Would you pay off your wife's student loan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brothers: Would you pay off your wife's student loan?

i dont think he should. It is just irresponsible to start a course with fees and then say "i wont work anyway"
    she started she finishes
    My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername :o
    Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

I would pay mine myself, I wouldn't make him do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid b. Walid View Post
        :salams

I was wondering about this.

If you married a sister and she had a student loan, would you help her pay it off?

Keep in mind many sisters take such a loan to go to university and then get married afterwards and so won't be working. This means they won't be able to clear this debt and will be stuck with it.
        :wswrwb:

Akhi, I'm suprised this question even came up ...

IF the Man loves his wife, or even cares for her a little ..., then surely he will do his utmost to rid her of any debts, particularly Riba based ones ...

were supposed to help each other out of Munkar, as opposed to remaining indifferent to it ...

this Selfish "it's not my problem, but her's" mentality, (as though he doesn't care that She will be punished in the Akhira for it) is not an Islmaic one for sure.

Nauzubillah min zaliq,

May Allah ta'ala save us from the Filth of Riba, and help us all get out of All Debts owed, including any Halaal ones.

ameen

:jkk:
        Last edited by Saif-Uddin; 01-12-13, 09:32 PM.
        http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Comment

Yes, but then you get the category of women who JUST go to school because someone else will pay it for them at the end of the day.

A small category of women, but nonetheless an annoying group

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid b. Walid View Post
            :salams

I was wondering about this.

If you married a sister and she had a student loan, would you help her pay it off?

Keep in mind many sisters take such a loan to go to university and then get married afterwards and so won't be working. This means they won't be able to clear this debt and will be stuck with it.
            The loan only has to be paid off if you work as written in the terms and conditions. So wouldn't it be a waste of money to pay off the loan which doesn't need to be paid off? I mean the loaner clearly states that if you don't work, you don't need to pay the loan off.

Comment

Originally posted by oshirowanen View Post
              The loan only has to be paid off if you work as written in the terms and conditions. So wouldn't it be a waste of money to pay off the loan which doesn't need to be paid off? I mean the loaner clearly states that if you don't work, you don't need to pay the loan off.
              Debts have to be paid off.
              ▪️••• 〰 Say what you wish in abuse of me, for my silence towards the idiot is indeed an answer. I am not at a loss for a response, but rather it does not befit the lion to answer the dogs. 〰 •••▪️

~ IMAM SHAFI'I RH

Comment

Originally posted by Hannahk92 View Post
                Debts have to be paid off.
                As far as I understand, Islam is very strict on contracts. So if the contract states that the debt doesn't have to be paid off, why does it have to be paid off? I don't know much about this, so if you could forward me to some resources (quran, hadith, or fatwa which uses quran/hadith) which explain why such a debt has to be paid off islamically, even though the loaner has explicitly said that it doesn't have to be paid off, I will be grateful, as I love to learn! :)
                Last edited by oshirowanen; 01-12-13, 10:01 PM.

Comment

I've seen too many "Educated" fools who are far from Islam, and Un-educated ones (Non Graduates etc) who are closer to Islam.

it is a folly to assume that a Degree leads to Success, or being able to educate ones Children.

a Degree is nothing more than a means to an end.

furthermore Allah ta'ala has already informed us about what leads to Success, and it isn't tied up to a Secular Qualification.

we are supposed to chose our Spouses based on their practicing of the Deen and Good Character,

because this is what leads to success, not some piece of paper that we all too often brag about and even use to look down on others,

Nauzubillah min zaliq,

:jkk:

Comment

Originally posted by InTheBegining View Post
                    My wife is an extension of me, therefore her burdens are my burdens. And of course i will do whatever to relieve her of a burden insha'Allah.
                    Aww that's so sweet mashaAllah
                    :sub: wabihamdihi:sub:hiladheem

Comment

As far as I understand, Islam is very strict on contracts. So if the contract states that the debt doesn't have to be paid off, why does it have to be paid off?
                      It has to be paid off, because Riba is accrued each year ...

Allah ta'ala won't overlook this filth, even if some human being does.

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow*~ View Post
                        Aww that's so sweet mashaAllah
                        Awww, seconded that is sweet Masha'Allah.
                        My Lord sanctify my flawed heart
                        As You have sanctified Your house,
                        Make my heart as protected and as honoured
                        In which permission of entry
                        Is only granted to a few,
                        Please Allah, allow my heart
                        To be preserved only for You.

---

It hurts, to watch you leave so soon,
                        when I don't know, if I will ever see you again
                        In Jannah, we will meet :love:

If I have ever offended, hurt or insulted you, forgive me for the sake of Allah سبحانه وتعالى‎

Comment

Asalaamu Alaikum,

Originally posted by Rebel101 View Post
                          Not all. We get student loan without riba over here , Alhamdulillah :)
                          The only time we have to pay riba is IF we leave the country without paying the loan off first.
                          Are you talking about the UK maybe...? If so, could you show me where there's riba-free loans for Students?

Maybe you're mistaking the loan for the maintenance grant?
                          Last edited by Perseveranze; 01-12-13, 10:11 PM.
                          A Fast Growing Islamic Search Website -

www.Searching-Islam.com

Comment

Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post

Dude has a point, even though I'd pay mine off just to be safe. The contract states you have to be earning a certain amount until you have to start paying off, if you don't earn that threshold figure and xyrs have lapsed then you're no longer required to pay the money back.
                            :sub: wabihamdihi:sub:hiladheem

Comment

Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post

But technically, you're not paying the riba if you're never going to work. As far as I remember, it's a sin to pay someone riba, and it's a sin to receive riba payments if you give a loan to someone, and it's a sin for 2 or more people to be witnesses to a riba contract being signed.

So if you've already sinned by signing the riba contract, but you don't need to pay off the loan, why sin again by paying riba when you don't need to? Doesn't the sin only happen when you actually pay the riba? Does it matter if the riba figure increases when you don't have to pay it?

You could be right, I don't know, it's just something which came to mind when I read this thread. So out of curiosity, I asked the question, why does the loan have to be paid off if the loaner has explicitly said in the contract that it doesn't have to be paid off if you don't work? If you don't pay the loan which doesn't have to be paid, you don't need to sin by paying riba...?

But to answer the OP's question:

If she's not going to work ever and it's not a sin islamically to not pay off a loan where you're not breaking the contractual agreement, then I wouldn't pay it off for her

If she's not going to work ever and it is a sin islamically to not pay off a loan where you're not breaking the contractual agreement, then I would pay it off for her.

If she wanted to work for whatever reason, then yes, I would pay it off for her.
                              Last edited by oshirowanen; 01-12-13, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow*~ View Post
                                Dude has a point, even though I'd pay mine off just to be safe. The contract states you have to be earning a certain amount until you have to start paying off, if you don't earn that threshold figure and xyrs have lapsed then you're no longer required to pay the money back.
                                She may not be legally obliged to pay however she is still tied to a riba-based contract which will remain with her indefinitely until she dies.

The only way to free herself from it and get herself out of this mess is to pay it off.

Imagine dying in a state where you are still entered into and a party to a riba-based agreement. Its a dangerous place to be in.

Also there is the other issue of interest. The sister will be charged interest at the rate of inflation at the minimum on an annual basis. It doesn't matter if it is not payable immediately. There is riba being charged to her name and this may continue to her death. Again this is a dangerous situation to be in.

So it makes perfect sense for a Muslimto want to wash their hands of this loan as soon as possible.
                                Last edited by Khalid b. Walid; 01-12-13, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X