Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brothers: Would you pay off your wife's student loan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khalid b. Walid
    replied
    Re: Brothers: Would you pay off your wife's student loan?

Originally posted by مسلمة View Post
    If she's not earning, she doesn't have to pay it off and those were the terms agreed by the Student Loans Company and the person taking the loan?
    Last edited by Khalid b. Walid; 01-12-13, 10:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• drac16
    replied

Sure. I wouldn't be of much help, though, because I'm financially challenged.

Leave a comment:

• firestar101
    replied

Edited
    Last edited by firestar101; 01-12-13, 10:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rainbow*~
    replied

That would be a awesome if my husband did that, but I'm not a free-loader which is why first few years of marriage I will be working so that I can pay off my loan, inshaAllah.

Leave a comment:

• Aliyah101
    replied

Why would anyone take student load when they know they won’t be able to pay it back.

Leave a comment:

• Muslimah~S
    replied

If she's not earning, she doesn't have to pay it off and those were the terms agreed by the Student Loans Company and the person taking the loan?

Leave a comment:

• nonameakhi
    replied

Originally posted by Jenicca View Post
    If brothers are happy to use their wife's wealth that is she owned prior to marriage. ..they ought to be eager enough to help pay debt that she built up prior to marriage. Not sure :/

Hmmm I think it really is an individual thing.
    Difference is a husbands wealth, from before or during ''belongs'' to both of them. In fact other people have rights over the husbands wealth too

The wife can be a multi millionaire but her wealth is just hers and no one has rights over it

Leave a comment:

• nonameakhi
    replied

This is an its an interesting question

I think sister jennica what you haven't taken into consideration is that brothers have no rights over their wives incomes and they don't have to spend on them even if they are starving.

In fact for sisters its Islamically win win. Pay in dire times and get reward don't pay and don't get sin

For the man its different altogether and he HAS to help family and friends and neighbours etc

My wife had a student loan which she took out before she became muslim. She didn't have to pay it back until she earned X amount after graduation. It wasn't a great amount but we married and she never worked after that in terms of wages so ''I'' just paid it when ''I'' could. I put I in '''' because once married it was a we situation as far as I was concerned. Because Islam demands I provide and she has no such obligation

The thing was some ulema said she didn't need to pay it at all. But we (and that's the crucial bit WE) thought that any debts could be crucial in the hereafter and we were not sure if the loan would count.

Alhamdulliah we had the money so we paid it, why take the risk? with the info we had at the time

Leave a comment:

• .mirror.
    replied

Oh, right.

Leave a comment:

• nousername
    replied

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post
    It's possible. I mean, I'm almost done with my bachelors and got full government grants.
    No i meant IF you take them, then you pretty much HAVE to repay, minus extrodinary circumstances. You can't just one day wake up and not pay them.

Leave a comment:

• .mirror.
    replied

Originally posted by nousername View Post
    In the US, there is no running away from student loans. .
    It's possible. I mean, I'm almost done with my bachelors and got full government grants.

Leave a comment:

• .mirror.
    replied

:salams

Yes.

:wswrwb:

Let's flip it around. ......if the sister has assets of her own, her own halaal income etc etc

Would he have any qualms about her using that money on the family and family home?

Arent you supposed to share the good AND bad?
    It's the man's responsiblity to provide, so yeah, that seems wrong.

Leave a comment:

• faatima18
    replied

It seems unfair for him to have to pay it unless he agrees to it of course. it is up to the couple. They would have to talk about this before they get married.

Leave a comment:

• Jenicca
    replied

If brothers are happy to use their wifes wealth that is she owned prior to marriage. ..they ought to be eager enough to help pay debt that she built up prior to marriage. Not sure :/

Hmmm I think it really is an individual thing.

Leave a comment:

• Khalid b. Walid
    replied

But what if her assets were amassed prior to marriage. ....... so even spending in the present is beyond her haqq!
    The wife doesn't have to spend on the home though. The obligation of providing and maintaining the family rests with the husband. But I am failing to see how this relates to the discussion about paying off loans.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X