No announcement yet.

Mahr/Dowry/Gift to wife, I dont agree!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mahr/Dowry/Gift to wife, I dont agree!

Re: Mahr/Dowry/Gift to wife, I dont agree!

Mahr is from Islam, whether you like it or not.
    If she asks for an amount which is beyond your capability then it's very simple, you move on and find another.
    Collection of Arabic Learning material and Islamic Books

Away for a bit :wavey:

Comment

It will be interesting to see what type of replies you get to this thread bro. Unfortunatley I'm not able to advise on this as I don't know what the correct answer is, not sure if it is an Islamic practice or purely cultural one.
      He who loses money, loses much.

He who loses a friend, loses more.

He who loses faith, loses ALL.

Comment

i find woman that ask for so much money disturbing tbh
        Last edited by *sheba*; 23-11-13, 12:45 PM.
        O people who take pleasure in a life that will vanish, falling in love with a fading shadow is sheer stupidity~ Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyya

Comment

As much as Islam teaches about mahr for the wife, Prophet also taught that the more inexpensive the mahr, the more blessings the woman (something to that effect). So he :saw: essentially recommended the woman to not asking too-expensive mahr that will burden their man.

Unfortunately, people will still choose cultural practice over Islam.

Try to convince the woman to lower the mahr requirement according to your ability and if she understands, move on.

But if she's still insists "you must give me that amount $ xx,xxx or no marriage at all!" then sorry mate, time to leave as she's just a gold digger. If before you married her she has asked such unreasonable amount and "no compromise", then imagine what will she do to you after you become husband and wife?????? Marriage is not trading.
          Last edited by Ariadne; 23-11-13, 12:20 PM.
          :GB_bonesrock:
          And all the heavens go their way.... And only change is here to stay...

Comment

Originally posted by shezad View Post
            It will be interesting to see what type of replies you get to this thread bro. Unfortunatley I'm not able to advise on this as I don't know what the correct answer is, not sure if it is an Islamic practice or purely cultural one.
            Mahr is from Islam, the ridiculous amounts some people ask isn't.

And just a side note.

In Islam we only have mahr, not dowry.

Mahr is what the groom gives to the bride for the marriage.

Dowry is what the bride gives to the groom for the marriage, you'll find that every prevalent in the Indo-Pak subcontinent.

Comment

Originally posted by Yunus aua View Post
              Mahr is from Islam, the ridiculous amounts some people ask isn't.
              What part of the question did you not understand? I know its from Islam, im asking about the issues involed in it! It seems the whole concept of islam to some is just about money when infact marriage has nothing to do with that.

Comment

:salams

least amount of mahr, simple wedding = more barakah

If you cannot afford mahr that is asked by a potential, you decline.

Mahr is something that yes, it is a womans right, but she needs to not take the biscuit about it either at the same time. All women will vary, some will want , some wont , some want more or less, and some are inbetween. This is how it is.

Whether it is reasonable or not, or justified, or if the woman is only out to get the money; it is not our place to judge. Mahr is permissable.

Comment

Why are some hiding behind this question its actually quite serious. There has to be a more detailed explanation to this than just accepting it. I dont think some of you know what it feels like to be in that situation

Comment

I wasn't aware that the woman was within her right to stipulate the amount.

I wasn't asked.

I assumed that the man gives what he can comfortable afford.
                    https://sufisticated101.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by LondonGal View Post
                      I wasn't aware that the woman was within her right to stipulate the amount.

I wasn't asked.

I assumed that the man gives what he can comfortable afford.
                      Yeah, it's the woman's right to stipulate the amount.

Mind you in some cultures the family stipulates the amount that they want, as far as I know they have no right in this nor do they have any right to the money. What you find many families do is stipulate a ridiculous amount and then take it for themselves. It's supposed to be a gift to the bride and not a purchase from the family as it would seem with some cultures.

Comment

It is the right of the woman to demand as she likes and it is not correct to criticise her decision.
                        Of course, it is better to ask for the least, but in the end, it is totally up to her and she can ask for any amount she likes and it will be within her rights.

It is the man's call on whether to accept to give the amount and marry her.

Perhaps it is a good indicator for the men on deciding the high-maintenance women whom they cannot afford to build up a life with (I refuse to call them gold-diggers).
                        To the people who feel obligated to reply to every single thread even if with a lol:
                        Not every thread demands [one's] input, some are more advanced than [one's] thinking, so read and learn.
                        Others are of subjects [one] has discussed many times before [so] just read them to see how others feel about a subject.
                        - AbuM

Comment

My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername :o
                          Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

Originally posted by pickaname View Post
                            It is the right of the woman to demand as she likes and it is not correct to criticise her decision.
                            Of course, it is better to ask for the least, but in the end, it is totally up to her and she can ask for any amount she likes and it will be within her rights.

It is the man's call on whether to accept to give the amount and marry her.

Perhaps it is a good indicator for the men on deciding the high-maintenance women whom they cannot afford to build up a life with (I refuse to call them gold-diggers).
                            Silver-miners

Comment

Originally posted by Yunus aua View Post
                              Yeah, it's the woman's right to stipulate the amount.

Mind you in some cultures the family stipulates the amount that they want, as far as I know they have no right in this nor do they have any right to the money. What you find many families do is stipulate a ridiculous amount and then take it for themselves. It's supposed to be a gift to the bride and not a purchase from the family as it would seem with some cultures.
                              Interesting.

I got according to my husbands current means at the time. So I don't remember there ever being a discussion or an issue.

And looking back, had I got significantly less than what he could afford, I may have assumed that I married a cheap man.

Naturally, the means of a millionaire would differ in amount compared to the means of someone on minimum wage.
                              https://sufisticated101.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X