Seattle woman marries building to protest its demolition =\

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seattle woman marries building to protest its demolition =\

A Seattle woman recently exchanged one-sided wedding vows with an abandoned warehouse building that is set to be demolished to make way for a new apartment building.

In December, Babylonia Aivaz and 16 friends occupied the warehouse, located on 10th and Union streets, to protest the planned development of an apartment complex on the site.

"Gentrification is happening," Aivaz said. "It's a serious issue that affects poor people and especially people of color and this is just the beginning of the fight."

Calling it a "gay marriage," Aivaz was asked by the attending minister if she would "love and cherish and protect this warehouse."

Aivaz reportedly responded in verse, quoting the Cat Power song "Sea of Love."

"Come with me my love, to the sea, the sea of love. I want to tell you how much I love you."

She then added her own verses:

"Do you remember when we met? I cleaned your rooms and washed your floors, built community, opened some doors. You changed my life. I'll never forget the day we met. I'll cherish your community sprit until the day I die."

After the ceremony, a large banner reading, "I Do" was hung outside the building as the estimated 50 attendees sang, "Lean on Me." Nonetheless, demolition on the building began ahead of schedule, starting last Friday.

Aivaz caused some unintended controversy with her ceremony. A pair of protestors showed up to the event, objecting to her use of the term "gay marriage" because it weakens the fight to legal same-sex marriage in the state.

"With the delicate nature of Washington state and the attempt to legalize gay marriage, I find her saying it's a gay marriage disrespectful," Phoenix Lopez told KOMO.

"Her saying it's a gay marriage sets the community back with Christians and politicians and gives them a chance to say, 'See, we told you, they're going to want to marry everything if we give them the opportunity,'" added fellow protestor Johnny McCollum-Blair. "Having compassion against something you love, I understand, but to call it a gay union is irresponsible."

PS: this is my first thread in the marriage section hope u lots like it :rotfl:

http://quran.cc/images/Quranlogo.png........http://i.imgur.com/b066ayL.png

My sin burdened me heavily. But when I measured it against Your Grace, O Lord, Your forgiveness came out greater. Imam Shafie

Re: Seattle woman marries building to protest its demolition =\

Your first thread in here and its almost the strangest one :rofl1:
    Last edited by *aisha*; 27-05-12, 07:34 PM. Reason: cuz im an idiot

Comment

:rofl1:
      Fabi-ayyiala -i rabbikuma tukaththibani
      Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8DR8frP_s

You are not here just to fill space or to be a background character in someone else's movie. Consider this: nothing would be the same if you did not exist. Every place you have ever been and everyone you have ever spoken to would be different without you. We are all connected, and we are all affected by the decisions and even the existence of those around us.

Comment

how did the building give consent?

I guess its true when they say "silence is approval". They stole an Islamic ruling Hope they become muslim.
        "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

Originally posted by nousername View Post
          :rofl1:
          :rotfl: this thread deserves to be in this section!

Comment

this thread fitts in nicely with other weird threads on this section

hats off to you yanks ,,, you guyz never fail to entertaine.

:D

http://quran.cc/images/Quranlogo.png........http://i.imgur.com/b066ayL.png

My sin burdened me heavily. But when I measured it against Your Grace, O Lord, Your forgiveness came out greater. Imam Shafie

Comment

Yeah well, we do what we can to entertain the rest of you folks:o

Comment

that building was mine :(

Comment

Originally posted by innocent_girl View Post
                  A Seattle woman recently exchanged one-sided wedding vows with an abandoned warehouse building that is set to be demolished to make way for a new apartment building.

In December, Babylonia Aivaz and 16 friends occupied the warehouse, located on 10th and Union streets, to protest the planned development of an apartment complex on the site.

"Gentrification is happening," Aivaz said. "It's a serious issue that affects poor people and especially people of color and this is just the beginning of the fight."

Calling it a "gay marriage," Aivaz was asked by the attending minister if she would "love and cherish and protect this warehouse."

Aivaz reportedly responded in verse, quoting the Cat Power song "Sea of Love."

"Come with me my love, to the sea, the sea of love. I want to tell you how much I love you."

She then added her own verses:

"Do you remember when we met? I cleaned your rooms and washed your floors, built community, opened some doors. You changed my life. I'll never forget the day we met. I'll cherish your community sprit until the day I die."

After the ceremony, a large banner reading, "I Do" was hung outside the building as the estimated 50 attendees sang, "Lean on Me." Nonetheless, demolition on the building began ahead of schedule, starting last Friday.

Aivaz caused some unintended controversy with her ceremony. A pair of protestors showed up to the event, objecting to her use of the term "gay marriage" because it weakens the fight to legal same-sex marriage in the state.

"With the delicate nature of Washington state and the attempt to legalize gay marriage, I find her saying it's a gay marriage disrespectful," Phoenix Lopez told KOMO.

"Her saying it's a gay marriage sets the community back with Christians and politicians and gives them a chance to say, 'See, we told you, they're going to want to marry everything if we give them the opportunity,'" added fellow protestor Johnny McCollum-Blair. "Having compassion against something you love, I understand, but to call it a gay union is irresponsible."

PS: this is my first thread in the marriage section hope u lots like it :rotfl:
                  HAHAHAHA :rotfl:

Comment

And do you, building, take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?

Building: ".................I do."

People: What the heck.......
                    والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Comment

Lol :d

Comment

People in western Washington r a weird hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Olympia View Post
                          People in western Washington r a weird hahaha
                          Yeah they a r :p

Comment

Working...
                          X