Oppression in Marriage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oppression in Marriage

What could be regarded as oppression in a marriage?
    Whats the difference between a not so good husband or wife vs an oppressive one??

Just wondering

Re: Oppression in Marriage

An oppressive husband is one who hits his wife.

It's funny though - on this forum, we have many cases where Muslimahs have been physically absued by their husbands. Unsurprisingly, all the posters are like BE CALM SISTER, BE CALM. REMAIN PATIENT.

However, if the wife would, in any way, shape, or form disrepect the husband e.g. whether verbally or physically, I bet they would all be like DIVORCE! DIVORCE! DIVORCE!

So much hypocrisy on this forum.

Comment

Subhanallah I guess an oppressive husband could be a man who treats his wife like a slave and shows no respect towards no matter how a wife she is.
      ▪️••• 〰 Say what you wish in abuse of me, for my silence towards the idiot is indeed an answer. I am not at a loss for a response, but rather it does not befit the lion to answer the dogs. 〰 •••▪️

~ IMAM SHAFI'I RH

Comment

Originally posted by oz99 View Post
        An oppressive husband is one who hits his wife.

It's funny though - on this forum, we have many cases where Muslimahs have been physically absued by their husbands. Unsurprisingly, all the posters are like BE CALM SISTER, BE CALM. REMAIN PATIENT.

However, if the wife would, in any way, shape, or form disrepect the husband e.g. whether verbally or physically, I bet they would all be like DIVORCE! DIVORCE! DIVORCE!

So much hypocrisy on this forum.
        You were asked a question, you were not asked to show your ignorance and Prejudices ...

Just answer the question in a straightforward manner, without interjecting your personal opinions/prejudices/ideas into the mix.
        http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Comment

Originally posted by Tamaties View Post
          What could be regarded as oppression in a marriage?
          Whats the difference between a not so good husband or wife vs an oppressive one??

Just wondering
          In Simple terms,

an Oppressive Husband is a Husband who doesn't give his Wife her Rights,

an Oppressive Wife is a Wife who doesn't give her Husband his Rights,

:jkk:
          http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Comment

Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post
            You were asked a question, you were not asked to show your ignorance and Prejudices ...

Just answer the question in a straightforward manner, without interjecting your personal opinions/prejudices/ideas into the mix.
            Do you want me to bring evidence to back up my claim?

Comment

Well he's right, it's what happens everytime I've been here long enough to know it's true.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannahk92 View Post
                Subhanallah I guess an oppressive husband could be a man who treats his wife like a slave and shows no respect towards no matter how a wife she is.
                What if he is trying is best and by far and large is doing quite well in most areas but due to human weaknesses which we all have is not perfect in all areas like, he may not help with the household chores or spend enough time with his wife or as much as she would like, or plain simple not always be there to listen to her problems, due to time restraints etc.

Comment

In Simple terms,

an Oppressive Husband is a Husband who doesn't give his Wife her Rights,

an Oppressive Wife is a Wife who doesn't give her Husband his Rights,

:jkk:
                  What would be a "right" compared to a "nice to have"??

I guess one very tricky one would be spending time with your wife, but how much is her right and how much is a "nice to have"??

Comment

Well it goes roughly in two categories :
                    Physical violence : beating, slaps, forced sex etc...
                    Mental violence : complete isolation whether from friends or family, humiliations in private or public, insults and verbal degradation

And of course we have champions who practice in both categories. But 'have sabr'
                    My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername
                    Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

Originally posted by Massilia View Post
                      Well it goes roughly in two categories :
                      Physical violence : beating, slaps, forced sex etc...
                      Mental violence : complete isolation whether from friends or family, humiliations in private or public, insults and verbal degradation

And of course we have champions who practice in both categories. But 'have sabr'
                      I don't think sabr is the way to go in physical abuse situations, but are mental situations just as bad???

Comment

I don't think sabr is the way to go in physical abuse situations, but are mental situations just as bad???
                        of course it can ruin someone's life as well on the long-term, dont underestimate the power of words
                        My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername
                        Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

Originally posted by Massilia View Post
                          of course it can ruin someone's life as well on the long-term, dont underestimate the power of words
                          Oh ok, but I think most people feel this is where sabr is called for, I mean where else could it be applied then?? Is it only in minor marriage issues that you would make sabr???

Comment

Oh ok, but I think most people feel this is where sabr is called for, I mean where else could it be applied then?? Is it only in minor marriage issues that you would make sabr???
                            being passive when you're under abuse is not from Islam, being passive here it not correct and it doesnt make you more "holy". Allah o3lem
                            cos
                            when you see something wrong you are supposed to try to change it, the weakest level of faith is to hate it in your heart but the strongest is the action where you try to stop it.
                            Last edited by anonymous_mehip; 09-05-12, 03:10 PM.

Comment

What if he is trying is best and by far and large is doing quite well in most areas but due to human weaknesses which we all have is not perfect in all areas like, he may not help with the household chores or spend enough time with his wife or as much as she would like, or plain simple not always be there to listen to her problems, due to time restraints etc.
                              If it is not his intention to dishearten his wife and wants to do these things to help is wife but is struggling that isn't oppression. That isn't the husbands fault and the wife will Inshallah have patience with her husband
                              ▪️••• 〰 Say what you wish in abuse of me, for my silence towards the idiot is indeed an answer. I am not at a loss for a response, but rather it does not befit the lion to answer the dogs. 〰 •••▪️

~ IMAM SHAFI'I RH

Comment

Working...
                              X