• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brother Hassan
    replied
    Re: Can I insist on not accepting Dowry

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post
    :salams

I wouldn't be too comfortable marrying a woman from a family where this is common. But, yeah, if they do it, then you should make it clear that you won't accept it.

1 million girls are aborted, left to die, killed each year in India. Why?
    Because when they grow older and it's time to send them off, they'll be a burden on the family - Dowry!

Subhan'Allah.
    :jkk:

Leave a comment:

• dhak1yya
    replied

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post

I wouldn't be too comfortable marrying a woman from a family where this is common. But, yeah, if they do it, then you should make it clear that you won't accept it.

Because when they grow older and it's time to send them off, they'll be a burden on the family - Dowry!

Subhan'Allah.
    SubhanAllah

Leave a comment:

• Medievalist
    replied

if they giving it happily and freely then take it, don't worry about it. you should accept gifts.

Leave a comment:

• .mirror.
    replied

Subhan'Allah.

Leave a comment:

• *asiya*
    replied

In their country the husband is given a dowry!

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A link

Leave a comment:

• neelu
    replied

Jahez (dowry sent from the bride's family to the groom) is NOT FROM ISLAM!!!! I repeat Jahez is NOT from Islam!!! It stems from a Hindu tradition and has NOTHING to do with Islam whatsoever. You are well within your rights to insist and demand that you do not want Jahez.

As for the incident of what the Prophet (saw) provided on Fatima's wedding, whatever he (saw) gave to Ali (ra) was due to the fact that the Prophet (saw) was the guardian of Ali (ra) as well! So just as a groom's family can pitch in and help the groom pay for his wedding costs, the Prophet (saw) assisted Ali (ra) when it came to his wedding and it was in this capacity (ie as the guardian of Ali) that the Prophet (saw) would have given anything. There was NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER any insinuation that there was supposed to be some level of gift giving from the bride's family to the groom. It's just that when Hindus in India began to embrace Islam, many did not want to (or think to) let go of the jahez tradition so they misinterpreted the Sunnah to fit in with their own customs even though the jahez tradition has no place in Islam or Islamic traditions whatsoever... so please don't let anyone fool you into thinking there is some level of acceptibility in Islam for a bride's family to provide jahez.

At best, there is a tradition of giving gifts in the Sunnah so on that basis, any Muslim can freely choose to give gifts to another Muslim out of love for Allah (swt) so sometimes a bride's family might still give gifts to their son in law cos' it just seems like a nice thing to do but there should be no pressure whatsoever for them to give anything and it should not be because the community will gossip about it if they give nothing.

Leave a comment:

• Brother Hassan
    replied

Originally posted by rackspace View Post
    Can I insist that she doesnot bring any jahez? Will it be against islam.
    I think you can - from what I know.
    Better to ask a scholar or maybe some more knowledgeable person here can answer.

Leave a comment:

• rackspace
    replied

Can I insist that she doesnot bring any jahez? Will it be against islam.

Leave a comment:

• Brother Hassan
    replied

yes, i am talking about jahez
    From what I know, Jahez is given to your wife. Its not your property.

Leave a comment:

• rackspace
    replied

Originally posted by Brother Hassan View Post
    I think Yes. But how does the husband getting gifts from the wife have roots in Islam ? If your talking about Jahaiz and the gifts that the Prophet :saw: gave to his daughter, weren't they given to the daughter ?
    yes, i am talking about jahez

Leave a comment:

• Brother Hassan
    replied

From what I know, it do have roots in islam. But Can I insist on not accepting Dowry from my future wife?
    I think Yes. But how does the husband getting gifts from the wife have roots in Islam ? If your talking about Jahaiz and the gifts that the Prophet :saw: gave to his daughter, weren't they given to the daughter ?

Leave a comment:

• rackspace
    started a topic Can I insist on not accepting Dowry

Can I insist on not accepting Dowry

From what I know, it do have roots in islam. But Can I insist on not accepting Dowry from my future wife?
Working...
X