Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It is Passionate Love (ishk) or infatuation, not real love

Originally posted by ibnFalaax View Post
    Your sentence doesn't make grammatical sense. The question instead should be phrased, "What if you passionately love your husband, is it a disease too?"

Shaykul Islam ibn Taymiyyah (rahimullah) says, "As for the love of a man for his wife or slave-girl which leads him out of the folds of justice such that he does unlawful things for her and leaves what is obligatory - as commonly happens - even to the extent that he may oppress his son born of his old wife due to this love of his new wife, or to the extent that he will do things to keep her happy that would harm his religion and worldly life."

Ishk is not something positive. It's a negative quality. Therefore, it can be said that ishk is the love that exceeds the bounds and it is not appropriate to describe a husband and wife's love for eachother as ishk as long as it does not exceed the bounds.
    :jkk:
    Originally posted by .mirror. View Post
    Which part?

Hey, at least, the ending was good. Live together with your wife/husband in Jannah, forever!
    well most of the post, yeh I hope to be with my husband in Jannah :insha:

Originally posted by Families_Relief View Post
    You mean excessive love? I don't think passionate is the correct word
    well, excessive sounds bad but passionate could be something good... I hope it gets clearer what kind of love do we talk about...
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله

Comment

I think it's going to the extreme not considering love outside of marriage real love.
      Yes it's wrong from Islamic point of view, but love is still love no matter the religion.
      What Islam does is regulate love within the boundaries of marriage and takes some freedom away from individuals because it's better this way for the society.To non Muslim, they don't have to follow the limits of this freedom in Islam.
      To consider two non Muslim people are not in real love just because Islam regulates love is wrong in my opinion and to call it infatuation is a little condescending to be frank.
      How condescending is it to say " you guys dont love each other for real, because MY RELIGION says love ought to be after marriage"

And a married couple are naturally passionately in love with each other.. therefore Ishq totally applies here. A man could be ready to die to defend his wife but they're not in Ishq with her !!

And I will die alone and be left there.
      Well I guess I'll just go home,
      Or God knows where.
      Because death is just so full .. And mine so small.
      Well I'm scared of what's behind .. And what's before

Comment

^

If your love is true, you would feel an aversion for anything that does not remind you of the one you love. How odd! Whoever claims to love and needs to be reminded of his beloved, then his love is not complete! The least thing that shows your love is that you never forget your beloved” ~ Ibn Qayyim

Every love that leads away from His love is in fact a punishment; only a love that leads to His love is a heartfelt and pure love~ Ibn Qayyim

No love is real unless it is done for the sake of Allah as it is not pure and becomes a disease of the heart and a means of punishment...
        أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله

Comment

Originally posted by hayatto View Post
          If your love is true, you would feel an aversion for anything that does not remind you of the one you love. How odd! Whoever claims to love and needs to be reminded of his beloved, then his love is not complete! The least thing that shows your love is that you never forget your belovedIbn QayyimEvery love that leads away from His love is in fact a punishment; only a love that leads to His love is a heartfelt and pure love~ Ibn Qayyim

No love is real unless it is done for the sake of Allah as it is not pure and becomes a disease of the heart and a means of punishment...
          You're proving my point .. How is it possible to consider the love between two people who don't believe in Allah in first place, Not to be real love because it wasn't for the sake of Allah ?!?!

This is a obviously a criteria for Muslims only .. It's like saying non Muslims who donate money to the poor are doing it wrong because they are not doing it for allah !!! .. Isn't doing it for Allah for Muslims only ?!

Some are saying that love is only really love after marriage and as you're saying it should be for the sake of Allah right ?! .. So a Christian married couple are not in love with each other for real because they didn't do it for the sake of Allah!!
          even though that their Christian marriage is recognized in Islam ?!

This just doesn't make any sense at all !! .. and as I said, a little condescending

Or God knows where.

Comment

Or God knows where.

Comment

from the same chapter

The Reality of Passionate Love (ishk)

People are divided into two opinions concerning passionate love: One group says that it falls into the category of intentions and wishes, this being the famous opinion. Another groups says that it falls into the category of imagination and fantasies and that it is a corruption of the imagination since it causes one to depict the one who is loved in other than his true reality. This group went on to say:

And this is why Allah has not been described with passionate love [ishk] and neither that He passionately loves [ya'shik] because He is far removed from this, and one cannot be praised who has these corrupt thoughts.

As for the first group, then from them are those who said:

'He is described with passionate love [ishk] because it is a complete and perfect love and Allah loves [yuhib].'

And it is reported in the narration of 'Abdul Waahid bin Zayd that he said,

'The servant will always continue to draw closer to me, loving Me and I loving him [A'shiquhoo].'

This is the saying of some of the Soofis but the majority do not apply this word to Allah, because passionate love is a love exceeding the proper bounds, as for the Love of Allah then it has no end and cannot exceed the proper bounds. Passionate love is to be considered blameworthy without any exceptions, it is not to be praised when it is directed towards the Creator or created because it is a love that exceeds the proper bounds.

Comment

As for the one who is afflicted with this passionate love but holds back and is patient, then indeed Allah will reward him for his taqwa as occurs in the hadith:

That the one who passionately loves someone yet holds back, conceals this and is patient then dies upon this will be a martyr.

This hadith is known to be the report of Yahya al-Qatat from Mujahid from ibn Abbas from the Prophet :saw: but it is problematic and such a hadith is not to be depended upon.

But it is known from the evidences of the Shari'ah that if one were to hold back from performing that which is unlawful, be it looking, speaking or acting, and he conceals this and does not articulate it so as to not fall into that which is prohibited and he is patient in his obedience to Allah and keeping away from disobedience to Allah, despite the pain that his heart feels due to passionate love, [similar to the case of the one who is patient through a calamity], then indeed this person would gain the same reward as those who have feared Allah and been patient,

Verily, he who fears Allah and is patient, then surely Allah makes not the reward of the doers of good to be lost. [Surah Yusuf: 90]

This holds true for the disease of envy and all other sickness that afflict the heart. So when the soul pursues that which would anger Allah, and the person prevents himself from this, fearing Allah then he is included in His saying,

But as for him who feared the standing before His Lord, and restrained himself from impure evil desires, and lusts. Verily, Paradise will be his abode. [Surah Naz'iat: 40-41]

When the soul loves something, it will do all that it can to attain it, so the one who does this out of having blameworthy love or hatred then his action would be sinful. For example, his hating a person due to envying him and thereby harming whosoever is linked to that person- either by preventing his rights or by showing them enmity, or his doing something that is commanded by Allah but he does it due to his desires and not for the sake of Allah.

These types of sicknesses are commonly found in the heart. The person can hate something and due to his hate, love a great many things due to mere whims and fancies. As one poet affected by it said,

For the sake of a Sudanese girl he loved Sudan
                to the point
                that he loved the black dogs due to
                his love of her.

So he loved a black girl, and therefore loved all types of black or even the blackness of dogs! All of this is a sickness in the heart with regards to its imagination, fantasies and desires. we ask Allah that He eliminate all of the illnesses from our hearts, and we seek refuge with Allah from evil manners, desires and sicknesses.
                Last edited by .Hajar.; 15-01-12, 06:07 PM.

Comment

:jkk: [email protected] I only had time to type out the bits I felt were most important to get the point across.
                  Imam AbdulLatif ibn AbdurRahman rahimullah said, "It is not possible for someone to realize Tawheed and act upon it, and yet not be hostile against the mushrikeen. So anyone who isn't hostile against the mushrikeen, then it can't be said that he acts upon Tawheed, nor that he realizes it." [ad-Durar as-Saniyyah 8/167]

Comment

Originally posted by MusIsWorld View Post
                    I think it's going to the extreme not considering love outside of marriage real love.
                    Yes it's wrong from Islamic point of view, but love is still love no matter the religion.
                    What Islam does is regulate love within the boundaries of marriage and takes some freedom away from individuals because it's better this way for the society.To non Muslim, they don't have to follow the limits of this freedom in Islam.
                    To consider two non Muslim people are not in real love just because Islam regulates love is wrong in my opinion and to call it infatuation is a little condescending to be frank.
                    How condescending is it to say " you guys dont love each other for real, because MY RELIGION says love ought to be after marriage"

And a married couple are naturally passionately in love with each other.. therefore Ishq totally applies here. A man could be ready to die to defend his wife but they're not in Ishq with her !!
                    :salams

Love outside of marriage is not real love because there is no commitment. And where there is no commitment, the trust is not complete. And without trust, love can't flourish.

Before I married my husband, I already *loved* him. However, the way I felt about him then, and the way I feel about him now, are incomparable. And we've only been married a short time. Yet the trust and commitment have caused major changes in our attitudes towards one another.

Any man who really has strong love feelings for a woman will want to marry her, Muslim or not, religious or not. Any woman who has strong love feelings for a man wants to marry him. Regardless of her religion or lack thereof.

Infatuation and passion are not interchangeable terms. If a man is infatuated with a woman, he may feel passionately about her, sure, and there may be some elements of love in there too, but that doesn't mean it is a healthy love, that can grow and become strong and beneficial to both people. It is obsessive and can destroy both people if not kept in check.

Passionate love in contrast can become a strong bond between two people that improves them both as they strive for each other and for Allah swt inshallah.
                    "Do not let your hatred of a people incite you to aggression." Qur'an 5:2

Comment

What does "love" even mean?
                      "Your votes may change the government but they won't change the system"

Comment

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post
                        Ishq is basically "love," or a more obsessive kind of love.

It can be used for a person (like spouse) or religiously, for Allah and Rasul Like, Ishq-e-Rasul (Love of/for Rasul).

That's what I know from my limited knowledge. =/
                        its a stronger word than love
                        There is no such thing as an Israel,
                        It is occupied-palestine

Should the Jews have been given a homeland?

YES...........in germany,

the world should have given the jews germany as payment for the holocaust

Comment

Originally posted by Nadir_K21 View Post
                          why do u want to know?
                          There is no such thing as an Israel,
                          It is occupied-palestine

Should the Jews have been given a homeland?

YES...........in germany,

the world should have given the jews germany as payment for the holocaust

Comment

Originally posted by RaineR View Post
                            why do u want to know?
                            because that word is silly, as every single person has a different interpretation on it.
                            "Your votes may change the government but they won't change the system"

Comment

Originally posted by RaineR View Post
                              its a stronger word than love
                              Yeah, more obsessive kind of love, right?
                              Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
                              - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Originally posted by Nadir_K21 View Post
                                Different things to different people....

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X