Modern Muslim marriage contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Muslim marriage contract

I just came across this article - How I gave up on the modern Muslim marriage contract - where the author says that a woman who has reached adulthood doesn't need a Wali's permission to marry, and the witnesses can be of any faith/gender.

This is the contract itself - Muslim Marriage Contract

What are people's thoughts on this? The contract mentions jahez/dowry which I thought was nothing to do with Islam?

Re: Modern Muslim marriage contract

Asalaamu Alaikum,

Stopped reading after this -

meaning women and non-Muslims can be witnesses too.
    IT's also the guardian, sister don't waste time pondering over what misguided people say.

And dowry is apart of Islam, it only applies when the husband gives something to the wife, like a gift.
    A Fast Growing Islamic Search Website -

www.Searching-Islam.com

Comment

Lol I'm a bro, bro...

I thought the gift to the bride was Mahr, and dowry was some old cultural thing where the groom's side demand things?

Comment

Originally posted by Listener_x View Post
        Lol I'm a bro, bro...

I thought the gift to the bride was Mahr, and dowry was some old cultural thing where the groom's side demand things?
        yeah the dowry is a cultural thing!
        If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

Humililty, Sincerity, and the quest for Truth. There is no purpose in life but to seek the pleasure of Allah.
        There is a possibility a female might use this account to read something!

Comment

Lol I'm a bro, bro...

You are correct, but over time the two words have become interchangeable since most people don't know what the dowry actually is
          Collection of Arabic Learning material and Islamic Books

Away for a bit

Comment

Lol I'm a bro, bro...

Asalaamu Alaikum,

Apologise ahki. Yeah, i get confused sometimes with the dowry/mahr, but your right, mahr's Islamic, dowry isn't.
            A Fast Growing Islamic Search Website -

www.Searching-Islam.com

Comment

I just came across this article - How I gave up on the modern Muslim marriage contract - where the author says that a woman who has reached adulthood doesn't need a Wali's permission to marry, and the witnesses can be of any faith/gender.

This is the contract itself - Muslim Marriage Contract

What are people's thoughts on this? The contract mentions jahez/dowry which I thought was nothing to do with Islam?
              To quote Sheikh Haitham al-Hadad, "This is very close to zina, if it is not zina." The very idea of a 'modern muslim contract' is an act of kufr. The deen was completed by Allah SWT during the time of the prophet (SAW). The very idea of this contract is as if Allah the All-Seeing, is not aware of the changing times. So many things wrong with this contract.

"...This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favor upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion..." -Surat al-Ma'idah, 3
              Last edited by calculatrice; 26-11-11, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X