What is a 'practising' Muslim?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a 'practising' Muslim?

I've seen many times on the Marriage Forum people saying I want a practising wife or a practising husband. Now how do you define practising?

Is there a minimum criteria to become classed as 'practising'? Is it simply doing the 5 pillars or does it extend much more than that?

Surely what may be seen as a practising Muslim to one person may not be considered practising to another person?

Anyway I just want to ask Ummah Forumers what they consider a 'practising' Muslim is?
    Last edited by Khalid b. Walid; 17-11-10, 10:42 PM. Reason: missing words

Re: What is a 'practising' Muslim?

Hmmm...good question.
    I do suppose it differs from person to person.
    As for me, I'm not sure what I'd consider as practising, but at least 5 pillars, like you mentioned.
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Last edited by IbnulQayyim; 30-04-12, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Akhlaaq of Rasulallah :saw: is something many Muslims are away from. Not sure if that's required to be considered as practising. Of course, those who have attained that level have the best of akhlaaq, no doubt.

By the way, I didn't understand your last few lines. Run on sentence.
        Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."

Comment

Last edited by IbnulQayyim; 30-04-12, 02:28 PM.

Comment

assalamu alaykum

someone who fulfils their obligations and stays away from the haraam, whilst also trying to perfect their character and improve in terms of their deen.

someone who tries to seek knowledge (even if its a bit) to further their understanding of the deen and somebody who implements this knowledge into their daily life... that is my definition of a practising muslim
            http://www.deenulhuq.wordpress.com

Don't depend on anyone too much in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness ~ibn taymiyyah

Comment

Originally posted by IbnulQayyim View Post
              its not even confusing
              i didn't fully understand, that's all.

Originally posted by sis_on_sunnah View Post
              assalamu alaykum

someone who fulfils their obligations and stays away from the haraam, whilst also trying to perfect their character and improve in terms of their deen.

someone who tries to seek knowledge (even if its a bit) to further their understanding of the deen and somebody who implements this knowledge into their daily life... that is my definition of a practising muslim
              Yeah, that's very good.
              Especially, improving.

Comment

Personally I don't like the term, if feels a little 'them and us' like and condescending at times too. I don't tend to say it.
                “The real prisoner is someone whose heart is imprisoned from his Lord; the true captive is someone captured by his passions.” (Ibn Taymiyyah)
                www.cage.ngo
                www.hhugs.org.uk

Comment

Obeying and observing God's commandments the best you can and abandoning His prohibitions.

Comment

It's difficult to judge if a person is practicing or not because like hadith says, you never know a person, the real person unless, you live with him, travel with him etc?

Comment

I suppose someone I feel and trust I can learn with, and teach.

Comment

For a man, the five pillars. For a woman, the five pillars, and how she dresses, and whether she wants to study or work, plus every sunnah the man making the determination has ever heard of that applies to women.

*Not my opinion, just the way I often see the term applied.

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid b. Walid View Post

I've seen many times on the Marriage Forum people saying I want a practising wife or a practising husband. Now how do you define practising?

Is there a minimum criteria to become classed as 'practising'? Is it simply doing the 5 pillars or does it extend much more than that?

Surely what may be seen as a practising Muslim to one person may not be considered practising to another person?

Anyway I just want to ask Ummah Forumers what they consider a 'practising' Muslim is?

i would see practising as being someone who is muslims but actually puts islam into practice through daily life.

Some people say yeah im muslim, but dont try to follow even the basics of Islam, and if you want a wife/hubby like this it can really take a lot away from your imaan, especially if you class your self as practising
                          ♥ ♥ Be mindful of Allaah, and Allaah will protect you. Be mindful of Allaah and you will find Him in front of you. If you ask, ask of Allaah; if you seek help. Seek help of Allaah. Know that if the nation were to gather together to benefit you with anything, it would benefit you only with something that Allaah had already prescribed for you, and that if they gather together to harm you with anything, they would harm you only with something Allaah had already prescribed for you. The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried. ♥ ♥

http://www.theislamicemailcircle.com...anner-new5.jpg

* ~ “Only those who are patient shall receive their reward in full, without reckoning.” (39:10) ~ *

Comment

Originally posted by Muslimah_Alisha View Post
                            i would see practising as being someone who is muslims but actually puts islam into practice through daily life.

Some people say yeah im muslim, but dont try to follow even the basics of Islam, and if you want a wife/hubby like this it can really take a lot away from your imaan, especially if you class your self as practising
                            true:up:

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid b. Walid View Post

It means someone who is doing their best to follow the Qur'an and sunnah in their actions, not just in a statement of belief. A non practicing Muslim says they believe in Allah and His messenger :saw: but won't be implimenting Islam in their life, e.g. not doing salat, not following all the rules, dressing like non Muslims etc. Also cultural Muslims, i.e. those who follow their culture of origin rather than Islam, I'd put in the same category even if they didn't eat pork, drink alcohol, and wore their national dress which looks like Islamic clothing, but were following their cultural attiudes, in particular things that come from culture and not Islam.

In terms of getting my kids married in the future inshaAllah, what will be most important to me is that they understand the difference between Islam and culture (or in the case of western reverts, the difference between Qur'an and Sunnah Islam and this westernist/"modernist" thing of changing Islam to suit western/"modern" attitudes/practices) because in terms of the safety of my children and grandchildren (inshaAllah), things like believing wife beating/psychological abuse of the wife/abuse by mothers in law are acceptable and the wife should just put up and shut up, honour killings, that vile practice with sheets/blood and all things like that come from culture and not Islam, and I definitely don't want my kids being subjected to those kinds of barbaric cultural practices and being told it's Islam (astaghfirullah) ------------ a practicing Muslim who has Islamic attitudes and a desire to follow the Qur'an and Sunnah in everything isn't going to do those things and then try to say it's Islam. It's no guarantee of a perfect marriage or a perfect spouse, but it is protection against such barbarism, and it also ensures that their spouse will take their rights seriously in the marriage and not deny they have them and trample all over them. Sorry to be harsh but I've seen it happen enough times. And yes, inshaAllah I'll do my part in ensuring that my kids respect the rights of their spouse and know the difference between culture and Islam inshaAllah.

Comment

Working...
                              X