Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seeing women with Hijabs on but Tight Clothes

Originally posted by Abu Mus'ab View Post
    Can you explain that to me? I can't relate to it so i don't understand it, how do these levels and steps work? And what are some of the reasons why people do not dress themselves properly?
    Not everyone suddenly wakes up one day and puts on the hijab and jilbab, most people take small steps i.e first you start covering your hair, then you start wearing loose fitting clothes or longer dresses, then you might move onto jilbab etc etc.

Comment

Can you explain that to me? I can't relate to it so i don't understand it, how do these levels and steps work? And what are some of the reasons why people do not dress themselves properly?
      Its not rocket science really?! Not everyone is perhaps as blessed as you to come from a home where Islam is implemented/ happy family units/ support from firends and family. People are in all types of different circumstances and cultures which dictate their opinions, their views, their outlook on life and Islam.

It IS hypocritical lto sit there and belittle those sisters because for all you know they may come from broken homes/ alcohol or drug abuse parents/ been in rape situations or had to deal with a lot of violence or hate int he short while they have been alive. Perhaps they have had a bad influnce from the friends they kept, the area they lived in or the mmorals they were taught. And now she is trying to better herself and wears a hijab over her normal clothing (which could be jeans and a top) and this snooty brother comes along and makes the most ridiculous stupid comments which could possibly turn her away from the little strength she had to wear it and back to what she was before.

Maybe that is easier to understand now?
      What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
      Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
      Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
      but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
      but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
      We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
      freedom from slavery to other than the One,
      Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
      and a horizon that extends to the next life,
      Yet we chose the prison and call it freedom.

“All our handling of the child will bear fruit, not only at the moment, but in the adult they are destined to become.” Donate today! http://campaign.justgiving.com/chari...iyahschool2015

Comment

Originally posted by x--x View Post
        What are you on about hypocrisy and falsehood flourishing it is clearly better to have your at least your head covered even if you are (wrongly) not covering your body properly, rather than having your hair out along with the rest of it.
        You are correct, but he's seeing it from another angle. He's seeing it from the angle that some 'ulamaa use when they say that bid'ah is worse than sin, because when a person sins he knows that he's doing wrong and so he'll make tawbah, but a person who commits bid'ah believes that they are doing good and so will never make tawbah.

Originally posted by x--x View Post
        Not everyone suddenly wakes up one day and puts on the hijab and jilbab, most people take small steps i.e first you start covering your hair, then you start wearing loose fitting clothes or longer dresses, then you might move onto jilbab etc etc.
        Ive heard all of that, but i cannot understand it, why?

"The `Aalim knows who is a Jaahil, because he used to be a Jaahil before. But the Jaahil does not know who is an `Aalim, because he was never an `Aalim before."

Imaam Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullaah in Majmoo`ul Fataawaa.

Comment

Its not rocket science really?! Not everyone is perhaps as blessed as you to come from a home where Islam is implemented/ happy family units/ support from firends and family. People are in all types of different circumstances and cultures which dictate their opinions, their views, their outlook on life and Islam.

It IS hypocritical lto sit there and belittle those sisters because for all you know they may come from broken homes/ alcohol or drug abuse parents/ been in rape situations or had to deal with a lot of violence or hate int he short while they have been alive. Perhaps they have had a bad influnce from the friends they kept, the area they lived in or the mmorals they were taught. And now she is trying to better herself and wears a hijab over her normal clothing (which could be jeans and a top) and this snooty brother comes along and makes the most ridiculous stupid comments which could possibly turn her away from the little strength she had to wear it and back to what she was before.

Maybe that is easier to understand now?
          Yes i agree i'm blessed, and that's why i asked this question, but your post is more like a rant than a reply to my question, no matter, i'll take my search elsewhere.

"The `Aalim knows who is a Jaahil, because he used to be a Jaahil before. But the Jaahil does not know who is an `Aalim, because he was never an `Aalim before."

Comment

when i reverted i started off just wearing a scarf around my neck at the first step, i wasnt confident enough in my islam to wear hijab, and i was scared of the reactions of others around me.

Recipes for all the family :inlove:
            (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

Comment

You are correct, but he's seeing it from another angle. He's seeing it from the angle that some 'ulamaa use when they say that bid'ah is worse than sin, because when a person sins he knows that he's doing wrong and so he'll make tawbah, but a person who commits bid'ah believes that they are doing good and so will never make tawbah.
              Well then that is where telling them they are wrong comes into it, that is the duty of the other muslim women who see them to go and correct them, so the situation you describe where they live their whole life thinking they're doing it right won't arise.

Ive heard all of that, but i cannot understand it, why?
              It is like any major change in life, people need to do it slowly no one can be expected to go from 1 to 10 just like they need to get used to it first. Maybe you cannot understand it because you don't have to do it yourself.
              Last edited by x--x; 12-07-10, 02:27 PM.

Comment

salaam brother

some girls take longer to adopt certain clothing and covering practices... it can be for whatever reasons. some may be legitimate and others may as well just be because they are taking longer because 'they dont feel ready.' When sisters say that, I honestly can say, that I can't relate to that... because hijab was implemented in my life really really early. And I don't remember what I thought when I was 10 anyway :p

i know some reverts who didnt have the right social circle and so eventhough she reverted, she never adopted modest dress. Some people dont have any knowledge whatsoever even if they are born muslim, it was never an issue growing up. And I've also seen parents not feed the RIGHT information about hijab: ie: simply covering hair and skin - but forgetting the MODEST aspect of it, hence tight clothing. I went off on a tangent :p but what I'm trying to say it, because in a way clothing defines you in a way, wearing jeans out for your whole life, it can be harder for some than others to let go and be seen differently. Some people can see 'levels and steps as' first hair covering. and then moving from pants to skirts only. and then going from skirts to skirts with long shirts. and then from that to abaya/jilbab. and then MAYBE she will reach the niqab stage depending on personal beliefs. Some people skips these steps, others can take a huge leap. But I've also seen huge leap takers turn a 180 unfortunately. A lot of factors influence how quickly she moves up, from friends, family, societal environment, financial circumstances (can she afford to change her entire wardrobe?), her understanding of Islam and dressing modestly, etc, etc. I hope that clears it up a bit.
                Screaming, But Will Never Be Heard

Comment

Originally posted by naila-k View Post
                  when i reverted i started off just wearing a scarf around my neck at the first step, i wasnt confident enough in my islam to wear hijab, and i was scared of the reactions of others around me.
                  Originally posted by GuCcI View Post
                  salaam brother

some girls take longer to adopt certain clothing and covering practices... it can be for whatever reasons. some may be legitimate and others may as well just be because they are taking longer because 'they dont feel ready.' When sisters say that, I honestly can say, that I can't relate to that... because hijab was implemented in my life really really early. And I don't remember what I thought when I was 10 anyway :p

i know some reverts who didnt have the right social circle and so eventhough she reverted, she never adopted modest dress. Some people dont have any knowledge whatsoever even if they are born muslim, it was never an issue growing up. And I've also seen parents not feed the RIGHT information about hijab: ie: simply covering hair and skin - but forgetting the MODEST aspect of it, hence tight clothing. I went off on a tangent :p but what I'm trying to say it, because in a way clothing defines you in a way, wearing jeans out for your whole life, it can be harder for some than others to let go and be seen differently. Some people can see 'levels and steps as' first hair covering. and then moving from pants to skirts only. and then going from skirts to skirts with long shirts. and then from that to abaya/jilbab. and then MAYBE she will reach the niqab stage depending on personal beliefs. Some people skips these steps, others can take a huge leap. But I've also seen huge leap takers turn a 180 unfortunately. A lot of factors influence how quickly she moves up, from friends, family, societal environment, financial circumstances (can she afford to change her entire wardrobe?), her understanding of Islam and dressing modestly, etc, etc. I hope that clears it up a bit.
                  :wswrwb:

Jazaakumallaahu khayr, this is more like what i was looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by -MA- View Post
                    In my 'culture'... Woman put their headscarves on when Qur'an is recited, adhan is called, or someone with a beard and tupee is around. The headcovering does not even fully cover the hair or ears.
                    Don't they realize that culture is not their Deen.

Comment

Originally posted by Nafisa09 View Post
                      Don't they realize that culture is not their Deen.
                      No because culture and religion are often mixed together and it gets taught as though it's part of Islam.

Comment

Originally posted by Nafisa09 View Post
                        Since I moved to Dallas I've Noticed that alot of the sisters Wear Hijabs then you look down and see they are wearing Skinny Jeans, Clothes so tight Their bras are showing, And Soooo much make on. And when i get invited to events the men and women are mixed in dinner tables etc.

I'm from Rochester,Minnesota and Growing up in a somalia community You don't see woman in the Masjids praying with Pants and Tight Clothes, You see abayas and Jilbabis only.
                        , Or no Mixings in Events.

So whats the Deal here in Texas. Do the sisters need big time Dawah, do they believe that dressing this way is Halal. DOn't they realize as muslim women we are suppose to imatate the ways of the prophet's wives and Cover up and have self respect.
                        Firstly, you shouldn't be staring at these women.

Secondly, you have to give people the benefit of the doubt and try to think from their perspective. Maybe they are new to the deen, maybe this is one problem they are trying to combat and maybe its all down to ignorance - these women may not actually know that wearing tight outfits isn't a correct form of Islamic clothing.

Judging them from afar and assuming the worst isn't going to make a difference. Deep down they may be better Muslims than you and I. Clothing isn't the most important aspect of the deen, it is compulsory to cover up of course but this is only part of it. By saying that I wear my hijab for modesty does not automatically imply that every woman who doesn’t wear the headscarf is immodest. Nobody is better than the next except in taqwaa. What Allah cares about is what is in the heart, our intentions and our deeds. Our Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said: “Allah does not look at your outward appearance and your wealth, rather He looks at your hearts and deeds.”

We know that the hijab is a commandment of Allah but it doesn’t necessarily mean a woman who cover is automatically entitled to respect or has already proven the worth of her mind and her Islamic status. The hijab is MORE than a cloth. Yes it is part of one’s religion but it is also a way of conduct, as well as way of dress. I'm sure there are many sisters (and brothers) who from an outsiders point of view may look practising, covered from head to toe.....but deep down, behind closed doors, their behaviour can contradict the image they try to portray to the outside world. This is equally worse, if not more!

Respect must be earned regardless of one's appearance and it is not earned through a dress code alone. The hijab doesn’t only apply to clothes but it also the whole attitude and way of behaving of the Muslim women. Don't get me wrong, it's important to cover up of course but the external covering is just a reflection of an inner commitment to dedicate oneself to the worship of the Creator. There’s no point in being true to your religion on the outside, if you don’t change what’s on the inside, where it really counts.

THIS is modesty.
                        Last edited by Kubs; 12-07-10, 11:00 PM.
                        Give me a clear vision, that I may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless I stand for something, I will fall for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Kubs View Post
                          Judging them from afar and assuming the worst isn't going to make a difference. Deep down they may be better Muslims than you and I. Clothing isn't the most important aspect of the deen, it is compulsory to cover up of course but this is only part of it. By saying that I wear my hijab for modesty does not automatically imply that every woman who doesn’t wear the headscarf is immodest. Nobody is better than the next except in taqwaa. What Allah cares about is what is in the heart, our intentions and our deeds. Our Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said: “Allah does not look at your outward appearance and your wealth, rather He looks at your hearts and deeds.”
                          you have clearly misunderstood that Hadith...

by your understanding, a person can have tattoos all over his body and face, belly/nipple/tongue/etc. piercings....and still be a good Muslim because Allah looks at hearts and deeds.....!!!

what are deeds? shaving beard, isnt that a deed? not wearing a headscarf, isnt that a deed? muslim women wearing tight clothes, isnt that a deed?

the outward appearance mentioned in the Hadith is how a person looks, meaning a person should not be superficial, for example if someone's face has scars that doesn't mean he/she is bad......get it? so please do not confuse others with your misinterpretation of the Hadith..
                          "Be A Lamp, A Lifeboat, A Ladder, Help Someone's Soul Heal. Walk Out Of Your House Like A Shepherd" - Rumi

Comment

Originally Posted by naila-k
                            That women is still someones sister and daughter and mother, and I hate the fact that some muslim men think its ok to objectify them as they dont have resoect for themselves. Its like dont you care about the society you are in and the ummah? you can help her have respect for herself by just showing her what it means to be treated as a muslim women. But if you dont care about her as your sister in Islam who is lost and in need of guidance, and choose to only care about those who are already guided, then remember that you dont know the state at which you are going to die in.

WOW! SIS is right. It is easy to teach those who already know truth, it is a test to teach those who don't. Do you want it easy or do you want to do a good deed and help those who stray and or need to be reminded....awesome that one noticed this! I was tught to pull the plank from my own eye before reaching to pull the saw dust from another! To quik to judge are we, and what place is it for us to judge.

Comment

^^

I like u already :p

Recipes for all the family :inlove:
                              (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

Comment

Originally posted by tayyiboon View Post
                                you have clearly misunderstood that Hadith...

by your understanding, a person can have tattoos all over his body and face, belly/nipple/tongue/etc. piercings....and still be a good Muslim because Allah looks at hearts and deeds.....!!!

what are deeds? shaving beard, isnt that a deed? not wearing a headscarf, isnt that a deed? muslim women wearing tight clothes, isnt that a deed?

the outward appearance mentioned in the Hadith is how a person looks, meaning a person should not be superficial, for example if someone's face has scars that doesn't mean he/she is bad......get it? so please do not confuse others with your misinterpretation of the Hadith..
                                You misunderstood me. Of course it's a deed and of course it's compulsory.....but it is not the be and end all. There is more to a Muslim than how they dress. Assuming that someone who doesn't wear the headscarf or who wears tight outfits is a BAD Muslim is wrong. They might be more of a Muslim than we are - only Allah knows the contents of our hearts and the scale of our sins and deeds. The difference is that society teaches us to judge people by their outer appear so we instinctively assume the worst from a person who doesn't wear the correct Islamic attire. Instead of pointing fingers at them, we should give them the benefit of the doubt and help them...teach them.....and treat them as our brothers and sisters....instead of an outsider or a bad Muslim.
                                Give me a clear vision, that I may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless I stand for something, I will fall for anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X