uncle marrying neice...permissible...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uncle marrying neice...permissible...

i always thought an uncle was considered a mehram and couldnt marry his neice but lets say a man married his cousin and then wanted to marry her niece which is actually his own niece too? then wouldnt that be unpermissible since the girl would marry her aunts husband which is her uncle? imagine being a young sister living in the same roof of your aunt and being married to your uncle? this is haraam right?
    isint it only permissble if its your long-distance niece?

Re: uncle marrying neice...permissible...

That is not permissble and I believe it comes under incest.

Comment

when you say she is his neice do you mean he is her mothers/fathers brother or is he just her uncle by marriage?

i got a bit lost....

Comment

Originally posted by ARiSagirl View Post
        i always thought an uncle was considered a mehram and couldnt marry his neice but lets say a man married his cousin and then wanted to marry her niece which is actually his own niece too? then wouldnt that be unpermissible since the girl would marry her aunts husband which is her uncle? imagine being a young sister living in the same roof of your aunt and being married to your uncle? this is haraam right?
        Why do you ask?

As for the anwser it is forbidden to marry BOTH at the same time but if the man divorces his wife then he can mary her niece.

Comment

If the man is the girl's biological uncle (mother's brother or father's brother) he is her mahram, and she can't marry him, ever - that would be incest. If the man is not related to the girl, but is married to her biological aunt (mother's sister or father's sister) then he is not her mahram. She can't marry him while he is still married to her aunt, because it's forbidden for a man to be married an aunt and her niece at the same time. It doesn't matter if they live together or not - it's still haram. However, if he divorces her aunt, or her aunt dies, then it's permissible for them to marry.

The niece of his cousin wouldn't be his own niece, unless his brother is married to his wife's sister or something like that.

Comment

The age gap would be huge?

Comment

“Forbidden to you (for marriage) are: your mothers, your daughters, your sisters, your father’s sisters, your mother’s sisters, your brother’s daughters, your sister’s daughters, your foster mothers who gave you suck, your foster milk suckling sisters, your wives’ mothers, your stepdaughters under your guardianship, born of your wives to whom you have gone in — but there is no sin on you if you have not gone in them (to marry their daughters), — the wives of your sons who (spring) from your own loins, and two sisters in wedlock at the same time, except for what has already passed; verily, Allaah is Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[Al-Nisa 4:23]

A man married a woman. As long as he remains married to her, he cannot marry her maternal and paternal aunts and nieces.

If the relationship between two women is such that if we had to regard one of them as a man, their nik‚h will not be valid, then such two women cannot marry a person at the same time. When one of them passes away or one of them is divorced and completes her iddah , only then will it be permissible for the person to marry the other woman.

Comment

Originally posted by ARiSagirl View Post
                What is confusing is the terms used by Asians combined with English terms like Cousin.

Take Ali (ra) and Fatima (ra).
                So Ali (ra) married his first Paternal Cousin's Daughter - this is permissable.

What is not permissable is to to combine two sisters and the Fuqaha have agreed that it is also not permissable to combine in mariage a woman and her Paternal or Maternal Aunt.

These relatives become 'Temporary Mahram's'

So they are forbidden in marriage to you whilst you are still married to their relative but if you divorce the relative you can marry them.
                Temporary Mahram does not have the same status as permanant Mahram as Hijab still needs to be observed and you cannot be in seclusion with a temporary mahram.

I hope this is clear
                Hadith, Fiqh and Tafsir Scholarship
                http://www.al-salam.co.uk/[B][COLOR="#006400"]

Comment

Originally posted by AbuHaneefah View Post
                  What is confusing is the terms used by Asians combined with English terms like Cousin.

Take Ali (ra) and Fatima (ra).
                  So Ali (ra) married his first Paternal Cousin's Daughter - this is permissable.

What is not permissable is to to combine two sisters and the Fuqaha have agreed that it is also not permissable to combine in mariage a woman and her Paternal or Maternal Aunt.

These relatives become 'Temporary Mahram's'

So they are forbidden in marriage to you whilst you are still married to their relative but if you divorce the relative you can marry them.
                  Temporary Mahram does not have the same status as permanant Mahram as Hijab still needs to be observed and you cannot be in seclusion with a temporary mahram.

I hope this is clear
                  Not only using English terms but completely create a new relationship. OP Uncle is married to his own cousin which is fine. But can he marry his wife's niece.

You have to understand that the niece is only the niece of his wife not his. The problem with many muslims i that they dont understand this and this is where mistakes happen like mixing with non mahrem (whom by mistake they consider mahrem)

Comment

Originally posted by MaverikAJ View Post
                    Not only using English terms but completely create a new relationship. OP Uncle is married to his own cousin which is fine. But can he marry his wife's niece.

You have to understand that the niece is only the niece of his wife not his. The problem with many muslims i that they dont understand this and this is where mistakes happen like mixing with non mahrem (whom by mistake they consider mahrem)
                    Depends what the niece is, if it is his wifes blood brother /sister's child then they are forbidden to marry but have the status of temporary Mahram as I explained above.
                    Hadith, Fiqh and Tafsir Scholarship
                    http://www.al-salam.co.uk/[B][COLOR="#006400"]

Comment

yes it's very clear, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by AbuHaneefah View Post
                        Depends what the niece is, if it is his wifes blood brother /sister's child then they are forbidden to marry but have the status of temporary Mahram as I explained above.
                        Yeah thats what I meant it creates a temporary mahram relationship, but most people take it as permanent even when the original relationship has ended.

Comment

I just don't understand why someone would do that anyways. Lets forget if its permissible or not and just focus on WHY someone would do that? It just doesn't make any sense to me..

Comment

Originally posted by Abboudy View Post
                            I just don't understand why someone would do that anyways. Lets forget if its permissible or not and just focus on WHY someone would do that? It just doesn't make any sense to me..
                            Marrying your cousin is illegal in some Kuffar Countries. If its allowed in Shariah then we do not question the motive. I dont think you need to worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Abboudy View Post
                              In cultures where young marriages and large families are common, it's not unusual for someone to have aunts and uncles close to their own age, or even younger. If someone is widowed or even divorced under certain circumstances, remarriage within their former spouse's extended family isn't unusual either, especially if there are children involved. That's even more true if they're cousins or something to begin with. I can see how it might happen, if they like each other.
                              Last edited by PurpleMuslimah; 17-06-10, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X