No announcement yet.

Monogamy is also a sunnah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed the Prophet, who was now fifty years old, name this year 'the Year of Sorrow.'
    Hadith, Fiqh and Tafsir Scholarship
    http://www.al-salam.co.uk/[B][COLOR="#006400"]

Comment

Re: Monogamy is also a sunnah

Originally posted by *Sarah View Post
      Sorry I think you misunderstood me brother lol.

What I meant was that Khadijah died many years after prophethood came to Muhammad :saw: and yet he only practised polygamy after her death.

الله أعلم
      yes but I think he married a total of 12 women after Khadijah (ra) died. She died after the Muslims were beseiged by the kaafiroon and had a long period of very little food. She didn't die from old age, she died from problems related to being malnourished for a long time :( I have forgotten the exact year, but it was a long time before Muhammad :saw: died.
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
      [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

monogomay is not sunnah, sunnah is that which was established practice at the end of the Prophet (Saw) life... so the fact that the Prophet (saw) was in polyganous marriages for the latter part of his life makes that the sunnah... not the early part of nabuwwat... more over the quran says marry two or three or four and if you cannot then marry one... so the preference hence the sunnah is to marry more and the concession is to marry one

and this is not the beginning of a debate because i am not gonna debate this here for the millionth time
        FEAR ALLAH (SWT) AS HE DESERVES TO BE FEARED!!!
        OH Allah help your slaves in As Sham
        Donate to syria.
        *Sisters please do not rep or PM me as my wife will kill me so rep her instead*

Comment

The Quraan says that you're allowed to marry second, third, and fourth, IF you can be just-that's a big IF. Then it goes on to say IF you fear that you will not be just, then one is better for you.

وَإِنْ خِفْتُمْ أَلاَّ تُقْسِطُواْ فِي الْيَتَامَى فَانكِحُواْ مَا طَابَ لَكُم مِّنَ النِّسَاء مَثْنَى وَثُلاَثَ وَرُبَاعَ فَإِنْ خِفْتُمْ أَلاَّ تَعْدِلُواْ فَوَاحِدَةً أَوْ مَا مَلَكَتْ أَيْمَانُكُمْ ذَلِكَ أَدْنَى أَلاَّ تَعُولُواْ

Personally, I would be too afraid to bear that responsibility if I was a man.
          قال بعض السلف :
          خلق الله الملائكة عقولاً بلا شهوة ، وخلق البهائم شهوة بلا عقول، وخلق ابن آدم وركب فيه العقل والشهوة ، فمن غلب عقله شهوته التحق بالملائكة ، ومن غلبت شهوته عقله التحق بالبهائم .

http://saaid.net/

Comment

Originally posted by in_exile View Post
            monogomay is not sunnah, sunnah is that which was established practice at the end of the Prophet (Saw) life... so the fact that the Prophet (saw) was in polyganous marriages for the latter part of his life makes that the sunnah... not the early part of nabuwwat... more over the quran says marry two or three or four and if you cannot then marry one... so the preference hence the sunnah is to marry more and the concession is to marry one

and this is not the beginning of a debate because i am not gonna debate this here for the millionth time
            now, let's go back to basic, the definition of Sunnah, sunnah simply means, the sayings and living habits/practices of the Prophet SAW as generally known, I think as far as I remember based on my reading, when Sunnah is defined, scholars never limit it to certain period of his lifetime. Sunnah started when nubuwwah started which means, while since he SAW was married to Khadijah and nubuwwah when he was 40(?).

Comment

Originally posted by fisabilillah View Post
              The Quraan says that you're allowed to marry second, third, and fourth, IF you can be just-that's a big IF. Then it goes on to say IF you fear that you will not be just, then one is better for you.

وَإِنْ خِفْتُمْ أَلاَّ تُقْسِطُواْ فِي الْيَتَامَى فَانكِحُواْ مَا طَابَ لَكُم مِّنَ النِّسَاء مَثْنَى وَثُلاَثَ وَرُبَاعَ فَإِنْ خِفْتُمْ أَلاَّ تَعْدِلُواْ فَوَاحِدَةً أَوْ مَا مَلَكَتْ أَيْمَانُكُمْ ذَلِكَ أَدْنَى أَلاَّ تَعُولُواْ

:start:
              I was to quote that sister. SubhanAllah!

Not against polygamy but Quran does emphasize one is better if people fear they cant be just.
              O you who believe! Do your duty to Allah and fear Him. Seek the means of approach to Him, and strive hard in His Cause as much as you can. So that you may be successful. (Al-Maeda, Chapter 5, Verse 35)
              Verily, man was created very impatient; irritable when evil touches him; and stingy when good touches him. Except those who are devoted to Salah. (70:19-22).

Comment

Originally posted by rahamath View Post
                :start:
                I was to quote that sister. SubhanAllah!

Not against polygamy but Quran does emphasize one is better if people fear they cant be just.
                قال بعض السلف :
                خلق الله الملائكة عقولاً بلا شهوة ، وخلق البهائم شهوة بلا عقول، وخلق ابن آدم وركب فيه العقل والشهوة ، فمن غلب عقله شهوته التحق بالملائكة ، ومن غلبت شهوته عقله التحق بالبهائم .

Comment

how nice it would be if you see some tafaseers, like tafseer ibn kaseer who says it is better to practise polygamy.

The fear thing, its also there in only one wife. Why doesnt anyone fear that he wont be able to give his one and only wife her rights?

Comment

السلام عليكم

We also have to treat our kids justly... so does that mean we should just be afraid of even trying [to be just] and just not have kids?!!!

I would advise my sisters [and brothers] not to let their emotions, personal desires, etc. to get in the way of their following the truth.

أَفَرَأَيْتَ مَنِ اتَّخَذَ إِلَٰهَهُ هَوَاهُ وَأَضَلَّهُ اللَّهُ عَلَىٰ عِلْمٍ وَخَتَمَ عَلَىٰ سَمْعِهِ وَقَلْبِهِ وَجَعَلَ عَلَىٰ بَصَرِهِ غِشَاوَةً فَمَن يَهْدِيهِ مِن بَعْدِ اللَّهِ ۚ أَفَلَا تَذَكَّرُونَ

Have you seen him who takes his own lust (vain desires) as his ilah (god), and Allah knowing (him as such), left him astray, and sealed his hearing and his heart, and put a cover on his sight. Who then will guide him after Allah? Will you not then remember? (Al-Jathiyah:23)

I mean... subhanAllah... you've even got KAFFIR Mormon women in America that are absolutely fine with polygyny (and sometimes even all live in one household with their husband and all their kids), unlike some Muslim sisters that talk about polygyny as if it is something haram... or mock it (which is haram as this is mocking the religion).

ذَٰلِكَ جَزَاؤُهُمْ جَهَنَّمُ بِمَا كَفَرُوا وَاتَّخَذُوا آيَاتِي وَرُسُلِي هُزُوًا

"That shall be their recompense, Hell; because they disbelieved and took My Ayat (verses, signs, etc.) and My Messengers by way of jest and mockery. (Al-Kahf:106)

May Allah guide the Muslims!

Ameen!

السلام عليكم
                    The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "...By the One in Whose hand is my soul, you will not enter Paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Shall I not tell you of something which if you do it, you will love one another. Spread (the greeting of) salaam amongst yourselves." (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2510)

Comment

Originally posted by talib_27 View Post
                      how nice it would be if you see some tafaseers, like tafseer ibn kaseer who says it is better to practise polygamy.

The fear thing, its also there in only one wife. Why doesnt anyone fear that he wont be able to give his one and only wife her rights?
                      Aye to that!
                      The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "...By the One in Whose hand is my soul, you will not enter Paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Shall I not tell you of something which if you do it, you will love one another. Spread (the greeting of) salaam amongst yourselves." (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2510)

Comment

It's not about being fine or not fine about it, it's about polygamy only being permissible if the man is confident that he will be able to be just and that he will be able to give them their equal rights, which is why the Quran emphasises that it is better to take one if he fears that he will not be just.

I don't think people grasp the seriousness of the matter:

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
                        قال بعض السلف :

Comment

It's not about being fine or not fine about it, it's about polygamy only being permissible if the man is confident that he will be able to be just and that he will be able to give them their equal rights, which is why the Quran emphasises that it is better to take one if he fears that he will not be just.

I don't think people grasp the seriousness of the matter:

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
                          Aslm alkm
                          I'm sorry sisters, but like the quran requires, we should marry 2,3 and 4......................but if we feel we can't be just, we stick to the one.

Now, It follows that, all sisters would like to be married to good bros, and an integral part of being a good muslim, is being just in all affairs,including to your wives. Goin by that, most muslimahs(and a few lucky christians and jews) would end up being married to just brothers.........and it's those types, that should be polygamous.
                          It is only when they fear that they may not be just, that they should stick to monogamy.

That's why Rasul s.a.w, and most of his companions, were polygamous. because they were just people...........and had no fear of being unjust.

And so should we..............

[Alhamdulillahi rabbil3aalamyin

Comment

There's no doubt that رسول الله and the sahaabah were just, but they were the best of men, and whilst men rush to defend polygamy, they should also be keen to rush and follow other aspects of the deen too.

It's quite a shame how SOME people go into polygamy in the name of halaal and sunnah, when they don't even practice or know the basics.

AND NONE OF THE SISTERS HERE ARE DENYING POLYGAMY, OR SAYING DON'T DO IT, WE'RE MERLEY RAISING A CRUCIAL POINT- A CONDITION THAT MUST TAKE PLACE IN ORDER FOR POLYGAMY TO BE VALID.

:wswrwb:
                            قال بعض السلف :

Comment

Originally posted by Supernova Nebula View Post
                              :up:
                              When you say Sunnah I guess you mean the time Rasulullah :saw: was married to Ummul-Mu'mineen Kadija(ra)

:jkk:
                              http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

Comment

There's no doubt that رسول الله and the sahaabah were just, but they were the best of men, and whilst men rush to defend polygamy, they should also be keen to rush and follow other aspects of the deen too.

It's quite a shame how SOME people go into polygamy in the name of halaal and sunnah, when they don't even practice or know the basics.

AND NONE OF THE SISTERS HERE ARE DENYING POLYGAMY, OR SAYING DON'T DO IT, WE'RE MERLEY RAISING A CRUCIAL POINT- A CONDITION THAT MUST TAKE PLACE IN ORDER FOR POLYGAMY TO BE VALID.

:wswrwb:
                                Salams,
                                Agreed, it's very unfortunate that some people go into polygamy and don't practise it as it should be. May Allah guide them to treat their WIVES better. Amin.

But practised the way Rasul s.a.w. and his companions did, it is very beautiful thing ever.
                                Having said that, let's not forget that it is almost impossible for any man to marry two or more of his wives equally,he can not control his heart. he will always love one of them more. So, sisters,please also keep that in mind, and forgive the brothers for that atleast.

Salam.
                                Last edited by Abuaafiyah; 11-12-09, 09:06 PM.

[Alhamdulillahi rabbil3aalamyin

Comment

Working...
                                X