X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: race and culture

Originally posted by TroubledBrother View Post
    everybody is happy to stick to their own cultures, it's not about doing things different, because lets face it, we all eat, cook, sleep, clean, breathe.

the fact is people dont want that change in their lives, why do you think this country is the way it is...people live to work and they have become so used to it they dont want to change, maybe not the best example but i hope you get my point.
    I think it comes down to laziness. People don't want to make an effort to learn about other backgrounds and cultures, its easier sticking to your own it seems..
    Mrs B

Comment

Originally posted by shazj View Post
      I think it comes down to laziness. People don't want to make an effort to learn about other backgrounds and cultures, its easier sticking to your own it seems..
      exactly an the older you are the less likely you are to change, hence our elders/parents dont want to change

Comment

exactly an the older you are the less likely you are to change, hence our elders/parents dont want to change
        However, shouldn't our generation be more open towards change? After all, we can consent to whom we get married to. Perhaps, we should make our elders aware that it is Islam that is more important as opposed to petty cultural values..
        Mrs B

Comment

However, shouldn't our generation be more open towards change? After all, we can consent to whom we get married to. Perhaps, we should make our elders aware that it is Islam that is more important as opposed to petty cultural values..
          I definitely agree, but trust me it's alot harder to do that, than it sounds, these things can tear your family apart, and our religion teaches us respect for family and not breaking relations one of the most important aspects and a major sin if you do...

so where do you draw the line then..

Comment

I definitely agree, but trust me it's alot harder to do that, than it sounds, these things can tear your family apart, and our religion teaches us respect for family and not breaking relations one of the most important aspects and a major sin if you do...

so where do you draw the line then..
            Alhamdullilah I am not in such a situation nor would my parents put me in such a situation.
            Mrs B

Comment

Just a quick question, how would brothers go around trying to win over the family of say another race/culture ? when they still adhere to old marryintorace traditions?
              ‎"Listen with the ears of tolerance. See through the eyes of compassion. Speak with the language of love."
              Rumi RahimuAllah.

Comment

I think its really rediculous that a family would disown their child cause they married someone that doesnt cook curry:wacko:

Alhamdulillah my kids wont have to go through that, neither did me or my husband. We are both reverts and alhamdulillah we are doing just fine.

Two points for us
                Allah the Almighty has laid down religious duties, so do not neglect them. He has set boundaries, so do not over step them. He has prohibited some things, so do not violate them; about some things He was silent-out of compassion for you, not forgetfulness, so seek not after them
                :love:

Comment

And most of these "ways" are a carbon copy of religious practices of hindus...
                  Wha? Where did you get this?
                  مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
                  It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
                  Surah al-Baqarah
                  [2:245]

.:.
                  .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
                  Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

.:.
                  ...said the spider to the fly...

Comment

Originally posted by Pippin1376 View Post
                    Wha? Where did you get this?
                    I am talking about some of the cultural traditions sis..relax lol perhaps I have seen some strange things families do. One example is the caste selection of a spouse which is very important amongst hindus.
                    Mrs B

Comment

Its not just the elders that cause problems, there are many young people with this kinda mentality.
                      "We have to stick to our own"
                      "She wont be able to cook you good food after I die"
                      "the gora sisters are too independant for their own good"
                      "But mashaAllah she has very nice fair skin though!"

I believe there is a very sinister undercurrent of racism that is deep rooted within our people.
                      Some parents when feeding their children would say things like
                      "eat up or the black man will come and eat you"
                      "Go to bed quickly or the white man will come and take you away"

But then again, there are some people that just dont find people from certain races "attractive", some like a white brother/sister, whilst others want someone with a darker complexion.

But if two people wanna marry and are good for each other islamically, then others should not interfere with that with silly reasons that have no basis in shari'ah

Wallahu A'lam
                      There is rest only in the aakhira.
                      Man will rest in the aakhira according to how hard he strives in dunya.

- Khaalid Ibn Al Waleed (ra) -

If you find yourself in a time where speech is regarded as knowledge,
                      and knowledge is regarded as deeds,
                      then you are in the worst of times, with the worst of people.

- Abu Hazim Al Ashja'i (ra) -

I saw a dog without any clothes on .
                      That's right, a nude dog.
                      The Deepweb is disgusting.
                      - Unknown -

Links
                      The Middle Road - At-Tanzil - Hifz Thread - Muslim Healthy Living
                      Inheritors of Qur'aan

Download Links

Comment

It makes it easier to sleep at night knowing this life is a trial after all.

Comment

For my family, its the fear. My mum is so scared of other cultures,espesially certain races here in US,so am I honestly but my brothers sister, never cared. They married chinese women my sister married white guy. My mum never approved but they did it anyway and now everyone is happy and so is amijaan. So thats good it didnt turn out bad alhumdulillah:D

Comment

Originally posted by *Aisha View Post
                            For my family, its the fear. My mum is so scared of other cultures,espesially certain races here in US,so am I honestly but my brothers sister, never cared. They married chinese women my sister married white guy. My mum never approved but they did it anyway and now everyone is happy and so is amijaan. So thats good it didnt turn out bad alhumdulillah:D
                            Lucky brother who married a chinese woman..I love chinese food!
                            Mrs B

Comment

Ohh me too I love bok choy. You know what lol after they got married my sis in law teach my amma how to make chinese food so that she can cook it for everyone:p cause she didnt know how to make for a biig family like ours. In china only 1 or 2 kids are allowed to each family so yeah it was great match for us:up:

Comment

Originally posted by *Aisha View Post
                                Ohh me too I love bok choy. You know what lol after they got married my sis in law teach my amma how to make chinese food so that she can cook it for everyone:p cause she didnt know how to make for a biig family like ours. In china only 1 or 2 kids are allowed to each family so yeah it was great match for us:up:
                                Thats it, I am off to find a chinese husband who can cook..I want to eat wonton soup forever and ever :inlove: love love LOVE bok choy!
                                Mrs B

Comment

Working...
                                X