Marriage to a Somali ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marriage to a Somali ?

My wali was contacted by a brother from his local mosque who wants to have a meeting with me. So i wanted to hear what Somali culture is like whether they want you to live with the whole family in one house like Asians , I mean i don't know much about marriage in the Somali culture because, i just tend to hear marriage stories from Asians friends and that's the only culture outside Omani culture that i know of.

Re: Marriage to a Somali ?

somali eat rice and a lot of banana!..
    (وجاهدوا باموالكم وانفسكم فى سبيل لله ذلك خيراً لكم ان كنتم تعلمون)

Comment

according to a mate of mine, somali's dont give half as much gold as asians do.
      Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

Comment

:salams best thing to do is meet him with your walli and ask him yoursef. there are believe it or not so many brothers who live by islam and their culture doesnt come into it, there are even asian men who dont make their wives live with their parents. i would never pre- guess what a brother might or might not do or believe is right based on the culture he was born into . every man is different, so just ask the brother himself about how he views things, u may be pleasantly surprised insha Allah. may Allah ta ala bless u with a husband of good character and piety amin.
        "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

Not generally, but there are many who do...particularly in the beginning. Just ask.
          "The discovery of truth is prevented more effectively, not by the false appearance of things present and which mislead into error, not directly by weakness of the reasoning powers, but by preconceived notions, opinion, and by prejudice." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Asalaamu Alaikum sis,

You're not expected to live with his family. It's not a practice common amongst Somalis.

But, I think you should discuss it with him just to be sure, and see how he feels about it.

Somalis are extremely family oriented, just like most Muslims. Family is really important, and the maintainin' of kinship.

His parents will treat you like their own daughter, as they should.

Most Somali women are not the submissive type, they're known for being strong minded and active. They tend to run the household, includin' the finances. Most Somali men don't mind if their wife decides to work, but you'll also find some Somali men who are more traditional, and prefer their wife stays at home, these tend to be the older ones.

Wish you all the best.
            "The real prisoner is someone whose heart is imprisoned from his Lord and the true captive is someone captured by his passion" Ibn Taymiyyah (RA)

Comment

Originally posted by haya67 View Post
              My wali was contacted by a brother from his local mosque who wants to have a meeting with me. So i wanted to hear what Somali culture is like whether they want you to live with the whole family in one house like Asians , I mean i don't know much about marriage in the Somali culture because, i just tend to hear marriage stories from Asians friends and that's the only culture outside Omani culture that i know of.
              :hidban:Have you not heard sis somali’s are the best :hidban:

your a lucky chick:D

Comment

Originally posted by Medievalist View Post
                according to a mate of mine, somali's dont give half as much gold as asians do.
                yep you got that definitely right, and thank allah for that

Comment

^ lol. Alhamdulillah, indeed.
                  "The real prisoner is someone whose heart is imprisoned from his Lord and the true captive is someone captured by his passion" Ibn Taymiyyah (RA)

Comment

who cares about excessive gold anyways....

i dont know much about somali culture, someone i know married into a somali family recently

all i can say is tht mke sure u marry a deeni somali
                    check out this blog>>>http://myworldmuslimah.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by *hijab* View Post
                      who cares about excessive gold anyways....

i dont know much about somali culture, someone i know married into a somali family recently

all i can say is tht mke sure u marry a deeni somali
                      yeah inshAllah as long as he is well into the DEEN then thats fine:up:

Comment

Originally posted by !patience! View Post
                        yeah inshAllah as long as he is well into the DEEN then thats fine:up:
                        yep because inshaAllah Allah will come first before anything
                        check out this blog>>>http://myworldmuslimah.wordpress.com/

Comment

In Somali culture woman tend to control the finances something i am more than happy with (hagbad) lol . but like sister Asiya said inquire with the brother but i reckon if he a proper somali then they tend to be lenient with their wives.

Comment

Originally posted by hamza89 View Post
                            In Somali culture woman tend to control the finances something i am more than happy with (hagbad) lol . but like sister Asiya said inquire with the brother but i reckon if he a proper somali then they tend to be lenient with their wives.
                            [email protected] hagbad

man i could never see my self bothering with that (it's a good idea though:up:)

I would prefer if my husband deals with the financial side of things, even saving. But after he is done making the money he can transfer it all to my account:hidban::D

joking

Comment

patience, shame on you!..lol A proper Somali woman takes care of all the finances.

Comment

Working...
                              X