Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for the sisters; Would you marry a Muslim convert/revert?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the sisters; Would you marry a Muslim convert/revert?

:start:
    :salams

This is a question that goes out to the sisters. The reason why I ask is because I'm curious to know how I and other new Muslim men will be and am perceived by our sisters in Islam in regards to being potential husbands. Rather than listing a lot of things that I think will be issues (such as the inevitable problem with parents, and tradition/culture) I'm curious to know more about what Muslim women think about this subject.
    Yes
    72.44%
    No
    11.29%
    Maybe - Depends on circumstances (If you choose this, please elaborate?)
    16.27%

Re: Question for the sisters; Would you marry a Muslim convert/revert?

Good question. I'm a Muslim convert, but my kuffar parents say that no-one will want to marry me. They say that born-Muslims want to marry "pure Muslims" who are not converts, and they said that non-Muslims wouldn't want to marry me because of my religion.
    Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfn View Post
      Good question. I'm a Muslim convert, but my kuffar parents say that no-one will want to marry me. They say that born-Muslims want to marry "pure Muslims" who are not converts, and they said that non-Muslims wouldn't want to marry me because of my religion.
      I worry about these very same things as well..

:(

Comment

I don't think that the case is that sisters go for "pure- muslims" but it might be that they go for a brother from the same ethnic background as themselves actually..but many sisters marry brothers who allah has guided back to the deen, and like that about them :up: so i wouldn't worry so much brother .
        “Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly.”

Comment

Originally posted by layla tul qadr View Post
          I don't think that the case is that sisters go for "pure- muslims" but it might be that they go for a brother from the same ethnic background as themselves actually..but many sisters marry brothers who allah has guided back to the deen, and like that about them :up: so i wouldn't worry so much brother .
          I try not to think or worry about it so much, but I think this is something that all converts/reverts, man or woman, think about..

Comment

and as i have found. Sometime they want to marry us, but the parents keep them from it due to wanting their daughter to marry from their culture. from a good muslim family...

Comment

A lot of sisters prefer marrying reverts actually cuz they don't come with cultural baggage.. at least that's what I've been hearing lol.
              May we reach daruSalaam by His, and only His Decree
              I would die for the cause if I knew only to what degree
              My Blog

Comment

yup, i sort of agree with you zammy

Comment

Id consider it but it would pose problems with the family. So I generally tend to stay clear of everything that may lead to even a slight conflict with my parents.......I understand they are flawed in thier way of thinking but it doesnt mean I have to go out of my way to find someone, just to prove my point to them. I want my parents blessing in my marriage and thus im quite happy marrying a person who is from a similar cultural understanding to myself.
                  وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us, for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

i chose maybe in the poll. im gonna be honest but it kinda depends. mostly on how much of a commitment the guy has made to Islam. If he says he's a revert and has taken his shahadah and also practises Islam but still has some habits of the past which don't fit in with Islam then maybe no. on the other hand if the guy is a revert and has learnt what he needs to know about Islam, or at least willing to learn more about Islam and my background then i wouldn't have a problem with that.

one of my cousin is married to a revert woman so it shows there is hope and there are people out there who will consider reverts.

Comment

Originally posted by zammy View Post
                      A lot of sisters prefer marrying reverts actually cuz they don't come with cultural baggage.. at least that's what I've been hearing lol.
                      I've heard this, and also been told this, too so Brothers Wolfn and Tariq216 please don't worry, your Princess is out there for you :up:

May Allah ta'ala grant you both with pious Sisters
                      “Allah does not place a burden upon a person except that which he is capable” (Al-Baqarah: 286)

Comment

Yes I would. And if he wasnt too knowledgable about Islaam, I would help him. I am a revert myself so I know how it is.
                        Allah the Almighty has laid down religious duties, so do not neglect them. He has set boundaries, so do not over step them. He has prohibited some things, so do not violate them; about some things He was silent-out of compassion for you, not forgetfulness, so seek not after them
                        :love:

Comment

Both myself and many many of my friends are now looking to marry reverts only because born-muslims from our background are complete timewasters and hold too much cultural baggage and demands/conditions.

Visit: www.muslim-mums.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Islamiyyah View Post
                            Yes I would. And if he wasnt too knowledgable about Islaam, I would help him. I am a revert myself so I know how it is.
                            :up:

May Allah ta'ala reward you Sister
                            “Allah does not place a burden upon a person except that which he is capable” (Al-Baqarah: 286)

Comment

LOL actually i think alot of sisters would quite like to marry a revert! :D Theres nothing wrong with it and sometimes its even a preference for some! Theres a whole discussion i think somewhere in the marriage section about marrying reverts/cultural baggage etc (and sister Dhakiyya made a very good point that reverts also come with baggage! just a different sort) :D I guess for alot of asians is just the escape from a "typical" mentality in some ways.

Personally i had no issues with marrying reverts- i was actually on a mission at one point to only marry a revert :p lol but i say "had" cos Alhamdullilah i am happily married :hidban:
                              Brother Tariq- i wouldnt worry about it.There are many sisters who are open to marrying reverts (and many famillies also being accepting of different nations and communities) :D and at the end of the day, Allah Ta'ala has already chosen your spouse for you.
                              *~* Learn Patience from Aasiyah (RA); Loyalty from Khadhija (RA); Sincerity from Aisha (RA) and Steadfastness from Fatima (RA).*~*

Comment

Working...
                              X