X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you marry a divorcee?

As'ssalaam alaikum

Would you marry a divorcee?

Why is their such a stigma attached to marrying a women who is divorced or has been previously married?
    Yes and why?
    80.58%
    No and why not?
    19.42%

Re: Would you marry a divorcee?

i made a thread like this if you are interested

answer is yes why not

Comment

Nah don't wanna answer this because, it's all fate huh?
      “The great Imam ash-Shafi’, he went to his teacher Waki`
      Complaining about the weakness of his memory.
      He told him, ‘abandon rebellion, for knowledge is a light
      And the light of Allah is not bestowed upon a rebel.”

Comment

Originally posted by sunrise View Post

answer is yes why not

Oh dear, your quick, I’m sure people will know what I mean, let me see your thread please, but with the marriage section old topics have a habit of being brought back to the agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by sunrise View Post

answer is yes why not
          lol i think everybody's made a thread like this
          Some claim that u are like any one of us, But who can claim, to have visited the Arsh? We say bashr, but respect is also due. For mankind are like rocks, but a pearl are u. U travelled the 7Heavens, and ur eyes did not lie. For Jibril could not pass, but u, O Madani, glided by.

Comment

Yes because being a divorcee shouldn't matter.
            مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
            It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
            Surah al-Baqarah
            [2:245]

.:.
            .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
            Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

.:.
            ...said the spider to the fly...

Comment

well in Islam marriage to a divorcee is not an issue at all, but culturally some muslims still have an issue with it because they are following the ways of their old colonial christian "masters" and running down the lizard holes after them, just as the prophet salAllahu alleyhi wa salam said they would..take a look at this and it could be from the mouth of some muslims with these sort of ideas. They forget we have a whole chapter of the Quran dedicated to divorce and that the prophet salAllahu alleyhi wa salam himself married zaynab who was previously divorced.

Divorce and the Reformation

Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, his second wife
              Until the 16th century CE, the Church in England recognised the Pope's authority. However, when Catherine of Aragon failed to produce a male heir for Henry VIII, and was considered too old to give birth to any more children, Henry wanted to divorce her. The Pope refused permission and so the only way for Henry to get what he wanted was to break away from the Vatican and make divorce legal. The Archbishop of Canterbury granted Henry a divorce in 1533 (under pressure) and Henry made himself head of the Church of England.

By allowing himself to remarry, Henry made the same thing possible for his subjects. But just because remarriage is legally allowed, that doesn't mean couples have an automatic right to remarry in church.

The Church of England's position on remarriage

Remarriage is always allowed if the couple's former spouses are dead. The matter becomes more complicated if one or both of the exes is still living.

The Church has had a clear stance on the subject of a Christian remarriage since the General Synod meeting of 2002. In a vote concerning marriage after divorce, the outcome was 269 votes to 83 in support of change.

The Church of England teaches that marriage is for life. It also recognizes that some marriages sadly do fail and, if this should happen, it seeks to be available for all involved. The Church accepts that, in exceptional circumstances, a divorced person may marry again in church during the lifetime of a former spouse.

General Synod, 2002

Under civil law, clergy have the capacity to marry any two people (as long as the couple can legally marry). The Church advises clergy to think carefully before remarrying couples and to ask them questions to find out how committed they are. The final decision rests with the clergy member.

The Church's suggested questions concentrate on the intentions of the couple and whether allowing the remarriage would be harmful to anybody involved:

Does the couple understand that divorce is a breach of God's will for marriage?
              Do they have a determination for the new marriage to be a life-long faithful partnership?
              Do they seem willing to explore and grow in the Christian faith?
              Has enough time passed since the divorce for everyone to have recovered, and are there complicating factors from previous marriages (court proceedings or child support payments, for example)?
              Has either of the parties been divorced more than once?
              Was their relationship a direct cause of the breakdown of a previous marriage?

any of that sound familiar
              "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

I think if I were to meet someone I felt compatible with, then I'd consider marrying him even if he were a divorcee but my parents would go nuts over it- then I'd have that other problem of getting the consent of a mahram... So if that were to happen, does a sister marry the guy anyway because her parents reasons for turning him down are unIslamic or does she stick with what her parents want because the consent of the wali takes priority (btw none of the other mahram relatives would ever make a decision against the father so she can't turn to them either)?

For me it's a hyperthetical scenario but it is something I've thought about because I've come across difference of opinion on this issue from various practising Muslims using differing evidences. Some say that the marriage is invalid without the consent of the father (or other mahram relative) and the only occassion in which a woman can appoint a wali is if she has no mahram relatives or if she is a convert and her mahram relatives are kufaar- other than that she must have the consent of a Muslim mahram relative even if he is jahil and his reason for turning down the rishta is unIslamic. The other opinion I came across is that as long as the two people are compatible in terms of piety, then if a Muslim mahram disagrees with the marriage for jahil reasons, the woman can still appoint an Imam or other trusted Muslim as a wali because the mahram can be deemed as unsuitable as a wali because his views are unIslamic. Obviously if the mahram disagrees with the rishta for Islamic reasons then the woman should accept his decision and not seek loopholes but that's not at all what I'm referring to here I'd like to hear what people have to say on that because I think it's closely connected to this topic.
                The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

my thread:

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106696

Comment

Generally, yes I would.

Unless the previous divorce had something to do with the fact that his ex-wife didn't iron one of his shirts the way he wanted or something as futile as that...
                    "The discovery of truth is prevented more effectively, not by the false appearance of things present and which mislead into error, not directly by weakness of the reasoning powers, but by preconceived notions, opinion, and by prejudice." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Yes. Because our Prophet SAWS also married women that had been married previously. And if it was good enough for him it should be good enough for all of us :up:
                      "...Creator of the heavens and the earth! You are my Protector and my Guardian in this world and the Hereafter. Make me die as a Muslim,and join me with the righteous."12:101
                      Please as you read this, make du'a to Allah SWT to guide all those "interested in Islam" to take the decisive step.

Comment

no i wudnt..y? because if i havnt been married myself i wudnt like to b some1 who been dwn the road b4r.. i wudnt c it bein equal

Comment

I don't see why not, so my answer is yes if i were a man, but i'm not. On the other hand being a girl i wouldnt marry a gent who has been married, no way.

Comment

No problem, divorced or with kids i wouldn't mind as long as the person is the right one for me and my parents of approve of him.

Comment

I would. Everyone makes mistakes, and most people learn from them. Besides, divorcees are people, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X