No announcement yet.

Avoid embarassment: Nikkah or Zawaj???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoid embarassment: Nikkah or Zawaj???

Obviously both are Arabic words. Islam has transported them into various other languges. For the Arabic speakers, however, each word has different meaning and of course different social context where to use either of them.

In the very past, Arabs, like all mankind, were more uprupt in their selection of words. Now adays expressions and of course selection of words became more refined and specfic. This highlighted the difference betwen the two, where zawaj became more palatable, more sociable and modest. Nikkah is only used in accademic historical fatwa context rather than social.

If One enters any Arabic discussion board where marriage is the topic, you can only see the word zawaj used. Nikkah is very inpolite and in fact embarassing.:zzz:

Zawaj literally means: pairing, where each zawj 'pair' is the zawj for the other. Zawj 'pair' does not have gender, both male and female are zawj for each other, hence it is called zawaj!

Nikkah is more a physical word. literally it means physical friction:o.

We can say a stone nakah stone meaning: hit it, crushed it etc..although not often used in such context, just to clarify the meaning.

In marriage context, Arabs used to view marriage only as sexual relationship. Not underestimating the whole relationship of marriage, but because marriage is the only legal frame for physical interaction 'Nikkah'.

In the very past An Arab used to say: I have Nakahto' a woman from so and so tribe, meaning: married her. That was ok in the harsh desert enviroment. Today, no sane man would use this expression because it is to sexually explicit. Hence the word zawaj became the common term used for marriage among Arabs, while Nikkah 'innocently' is widely used by other Muslims who are not aware of this complexity of expression.
    If you are talking with an Arab about the marriage of his daughter or sister, it would be more polite to say: attending zawaj of your daughter. When I hear somebody using the word Nikkah instead, no matter how I appreaciate their innocence, it makes my hair stands:(

Just thought to open discussion over the sensitivity of certain terms when they are used by people who are not fully aware of roots of the languge where the term come from.

Re: Avoid embarassment: Nikkah or Zawaj???

Originally posted by zaman99 View Post
    Just thought to open discussion over the sensitivity of certain terms when they are used by people who are not fully aware of roots of the languge where the term come from.
    This is a chronic problem with Muslims today.

Izlam or Islam
    Mozlem or Muslim
    Namaz or Salat
    Sehri or Sahoor

even in english....

Polygamy or Polygyny

The jews and Christians changed their religion by allowing the words to be changed first. We as Muslims must not tolerate word changes and must remain true to the original arabic words and meanings.
    Visit our Forum

IslamFactor

Comment

lol brijmic. ure right there.

and about nikah. i will make sure to say nikah in saudi when i go. and ill get deadly stares from the womenfolk. *astgahfirullah* :rotfl:
      “The great Imam ash-Shafi’, he went to his teacher Waki`
      Complaining about the weakness of his memory.
      He told him, ‘abandon rebellion, for knowledge is a light
      And the light of Allah is not bestowed upon a rebel.”

Comment

Polygamy means having multiple marriage partners (or in some contexts multiple sexual partners), polygyny refers to specifically a man having multiple wives or female sexual partners. Both are appropriate terms for the Islamic ruling, although polygyny is more accurate. Polyandry refers to a woman who has multiple male partners. There is even the word "polygyandry" to refer to animal species or human societies where both males and females have multiple partners. Examples would be chimpanzees (as a species) and modern western society, post "sexual revolution".

I don't know enough about Arabic to know which is the most accurate one to use in a Qur'an translation. For example polygamy usually has the connotation of marriage, which the word polygyny lacks, whilst polygyny specifically refers to men having more than one wife/sexual partner and not the other way around.
        [CENTER]
        [/CENTER]
        [CENTER]
        [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
        [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by brjimc View Post
          This is a chronic problem with Muslims today.

Izlam or Islam
          Mozlem or Muslim
          Namaz or Salat
          Sehri or Sahoor

even in english....

Polygamy or Polygyny

The jews and Christians changed their religion by allowing the words to be changed first. We as Muslims must not tolerate word changes and must remain true to the original arabic words and meanings.
          This thing about nikaah what he has mentioned is not the same as what u have described. the verb anka7a is used in Quran actually it is not in your same category at all.
          This is more like the situation of the word imra2a, in the quran also used for wife like "imra2atu firawn" etc but these days some people find it offensive to use, they prefer only "zawja" (literally it means woman... in english we hav the same thing, if someone said "my woman" instead of my wife ppl are like "thats degrading")
          Never the less we dont have to speak in quranic arabic in day to day life, and we can use the words which are politer in today's society - but what u are saying is slightly nonsensical, to equate a word and its meaning as per the quran with people "changing the religion by changing the meaning of its words", or with people mispronouncing the arabic and changing the letters, or with substituting arabic words with urdu or other foreign words... it does not fall into any of these categories.
          .: Rufaida :.
          .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
          http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
          “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
          but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
          ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
          <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Working...
          X